The Kansas City Chiefs have announced a program that gives their Season Ticket Members (STMs) some alternatives for the 2020 season, in which it’s possible that fans will not be able to attend games in person.
Here are the high points of the program from a Chiefs press release:
Because the club cannot fairly re-seat the entire season ticket base across a limited number of seats, all Season Ticket Members will automatically have their 2020 payment credited for the 2021 season without any action on their part. Keeping their payment as a credit towards 2021 includes the following benefits:
- STMs will be automatically included in a single-game presale for any available seats in 2020, once a final capacity is determined.
- Their credit can be utilized to purchase single-game tickets for a reduced-capacity 2020 season, if they choose.
- They will receive their 2020 Season Ticket Member box with exclusive gifts.
- STM pricing will remain flat for 2021 and they will accrue a year of STM tenure for the 2020 season, regardless of if they attend any games or not in 2020.
- In the event that the club is permitted to host a full-capacity crowd for any potential playoff games, STMs that did not opt for a refund will be given the first opportunity to purchase their seats.
- Parking or hospitality club passes purchased as part of a Season Ticket Membership can be managed exactly like tickets – either as a credit for 2021 or a full-refund, if requested.
Season Ticket Members who wish to receive a full refund vs. a 2021 credit can choose to do so by contacting their ticket representative over the phone or via email. While those who opt to receive a refund won’t be eligible for the above benefits in 2020, they will still be issued a 2021 renewal for their same season ticket location(s) and will maintain their tenure.
The Chiefs are also planning to accommodate those who have already purchased single-game tickets for the coming season.
Due to the inability to accommodate all Season Ticket Members, there is no way to account for purchasers who have already secured single-game tickets. All single-game tickets purchased through the primary market will be issued an automatic refund to the method of payment. For any tickets purchased through a resale marketplace, ticket purchasers will need to visit the marketplace used to review their options. Single-game parking passes that have already been purchased through the team will automatically be refunded to the method of payment as well.
The Chiefs said that tickets for the first few games will go on sale as soon as it is determined how many fans the stadium will be able to handle.
The club will announce and conduct a reduced-capacity single-game on-sale once the final number of available seats is determined based on the guidance of the NFL, as well as local government officials and public health experts. Season Ticket Members who retain their 2020 funds as a credit for 2021 will be given first access to purchase single-game tickets in a priority order, based on their tenure. This Season Ticket Member process will take place through password-protected online accounts. Any remaining single-game tickets will be offered to the public following the Season Ticket Member presale.
Beyond the NFL’s stadium configuration changes, the club continues to work closely with the NFL, representatives of The University of Kansas Health System, Populous, as well as local government officials and public health experts on additional capacity and operational adjustments for the safety of all fans, staff, coaches and players. All aspects of the gameday experience for the upcoming season – including parking, tailgating, guest service, food and beverage, retail and stadium operations – are being evaluated and will be announced prior to the start of the season.