NFL free agency officially began on Wednesday, March 18, at 3 p.m. Arrowhead Time.
We’ll be tracking all of the signings and rumors related to the Chiefs and the rest of the NFL right here:
Chiefs-related rumors and roster moves so far
- 11:59 a.m. Cornerback Ronald Darby, a potential Chiefs target, lands with the Washington Redskins.
- 3:41 p.m. The Baltimore Ravens are signing defensive end Derek Wolfe.
- 1:51 p.m. The Chiefs brought back wide receiver Demarcus Robinson.
- 9:33 a.m. Chiefs free agent linebacker Reggie Ragland reported to be signing with the Lions.
- 3:57 p.m. Cornerback Darqueze Dennard won’t join the Jacksonville Jaguars after failing to agree on final terms of the contract. The Chiefs showed interest in Dennard last year.
- 3:33 p.m. Cornerback Xavier Rhodes is signing with the Indianapolis Colts.
- 1:51 p.m. Former Chiefs defensive tackle and XFL sack leader Cavon Walker is joining the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- 1:17 p.m. Former New Orleans Saints safety Vonn Bell is going to the Cincinnati Bengals on a three-year deal.
- 1:00 p.m. The Chiefs were reportedly interested in Nick Vigil before the signed with the Chargers.
- 11:06 a.m. Defensive tackle Dontari Poe is “close” to an agreement with the Dallas Cowboys, and NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport says it will get done.
- 10:00 a.m. The Cowboys are reported to be signing former Chiefs tight end Blake Bell to a one-year deal.
- 8:15 a.m. Falcons reported to have signed former Chiefs defensive tackle Allen Bailey to a one-year, $4.5 million extension that includes a $3.25M signing bonus.
- 8:45 p.m. Reports say the Chiefs are re-signing fullback Anthony Sherman to a one-year deal.
- 8:38 p.m. Defensive tackle Mike Pennel reported to be signing a one-year deal to return to the Chiefs.
- 7:35 p.m. The Jaguars agreed to a two-year deal with former Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert.
- 3:53 p.m. Former Bengals linebacker Nick Vigil has come to a contract agreement with the Los Angeles Chargers.
- 2:36 p.m. Former New York Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson signed a two-year deal with the Carolina Panthers.
- 2:19 p.m. The Panthers make the Cam Newton release official.
- 1:59 p.m. The Seattle Seahawks signed wide receiver Phillip Dorsett to a one-year contract.
- 9:43 a.m. The Carolina Panthers are planning to release quarterback Cam Newton on Tuesday.
- 7:22 p.m. The Broncos have signed linebacker Jeremiah Attaochu to a one year deal. He was released by the Chiefs at last year’s roster cutdown and landed with Denver.
- 5:08 p.m. Cornerback Jimmy Smith has decided to return to the Baltimore Ravens on a one-year deal.
- 5:03 p.m. The Seahawks traded a fifth-round pick to the Washington Redskins for cornerback Quinton Dunbar.
- 2:47 p.m. The Patriots are releasing longtime kicker Stephen Gostkowski. He’s been with the Patriots since 2006.
- 1:28 p.m. The Washington Redskins sent a fifth-round pick to the Carolina Panthers for quarterback Kyle Allen, reuniting him with Ron Rivera.
- 11:37 a.m. The Cowboys are closing in on a deal for Poe.
- 10:46 a.m. Former Chiefs Dontari Poe and Mike Pennel are among the players listed who have drawn interest from the Dallas Cowboys.
- 1:25 p.m. Former Colts cornerback Pierre Desir has agreed to a one-year deal with the New York Jets.
- 10:23 a.m. Former Chiefs safety Jordan Lucas is headed to the Chicago Bears.
- 3:50 p.m. Nick O’ Leary has also signed with the Raiders.
- 3:37 p.m. If there was any doubt before, the Chiefs’ contract for offensive lineman Mike Remmers is now official.
- 2:15 p.m. The Denver Broncos signed tight end Nick Vannett.
- 1:43 p.m. The Raiders have come to terms with wide receiver Nelson Agholor and offensive lineman Erik Kush.
- 12:19 p.m. The Colts have made the Philip Rivers deal official.
- 10:59 a.m. The Indianapolis Colts have released cornerback Pierre Desir.
- 5:20 p.m. The Chiefs came to terms with journeyman offensive lineman Mike Remmers.
- 4:42 p.m. The Chiefs have finally signed a free agent. Cornerback Antonio Hamilton joins the Chiefs — and get this: he took less money to play with the Super Bowl champs.
- 12:40 p.m. The Broncos have come to terms with running back Melvin Gordon. He stays in the division to be paired with Phillip Lindsay.
- 12:12 p.m. The Steelers are signing tight end Eric Ebron. Minutes later, they traded a 2021 fifth-round pick for DL Chris Wormley and a 2021 seventh-round pick from the Ravens.
- 11:50 a.m. The Chiefs had been interested in guard Andrus Peat but lost out to the New Orleans Saints, according to Herbie Teope of The Kansas City Star.
- 11:48 a.m. Stefen Wisniewski’s contract details are out from Adam Caplan: $375K signing bonus, $1.05M base in 2020; $1.425m base in 2021. Caplan went on to say teams viewed him as a backup, and he could actually get a chance to start in Pittsburgh.
- 7:34 a.m. Tom Brady makes it official, signing a two-year deal with the Buccaneers.
- 7:12 a.m. A report says that former Rams running back Todd Gurley is signing a one-year deal with the Falcons, just a day after he was released from Los Angeles.
- 8:39 p.m. Offensive lineman Stefen Wisniewski has joined the Pittsburgh Steelers. Wisniewski started the Chiefs’ last two regular-season game and every game during the playoffs at left guard for Kansas City.
- 2:47 p.m. The Rams are also releasing linebacker Clay Matthews.
- 2:44 p.m. The Los Angeles Rams have released running back Todd Gurley. He is now a free agent.
- 2:20 p.m. Chad Henne’s return to the Chiefs as a backup QB is now official.
- 11:40 a.m. The Broncos have waived Joe Flacco with a “failed physical designation. Local product Drew Lock is the guy in Denver.
- 9:43 a.m. Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio suggested that Todd Gurley could be on the move.
- 8:11 a.m. The Philadelphia Eagles completed a trade with the Detroit Lions for cornerback Darius Slay. The Eagles sent the Lions a third-rounder and fifth-rounder for the three-time Pro Bowler.
March 18 (new league year begins at 3 p.m.)
- 7:13 p.m. Former Raiders safety Karl Joseph is signing with the Cleveland Browns.
- 3:09 p.m. Cornerback Chris Harris is staying in the AFC West, but it is not to join the Chiefs. He has picked the Los Angeles Chargers. There had been some thought that he may join the Chiefs when Mathieu began recruiting him.
- 2:25 p.m. Free agent cornerback Eli Apple will join the division-rival Las Vegas Raiders. We had identified him as a potential target for the Chiefs.
- 2:01 p.m. A report says that the Rams are signing former Bears pass rusher Leonard Floyd to a one-year, $10 million contract.
- 1:50 p.m. Former Chiefs and Eagles quarterback Nick Foles is joining Matt Nagy in Chicago to play for the Bears. The expectation is a QB battle between Foles and Trubisky.
- 1:44 p.m. A report says that former Ravens and Raiders and wide receiver Seth Roberts is signing with the Panthers.
- 1:01 p.m. A report indicates that with Tom Brady now off the market, the Chargers will not move to acquire a veteran quarterback through free agency. That makes Tyrod Taylor the current projected Week 1 starter.
- 12:48 p.m. The Chargers have agreed to sign former Vikings defensive tackle Linval Joseph to a two-year, $17 million deal.
- l12:27 p.m. The Jaguars have agreed to trade quarterback Nick Foles to the Bears in exchange for their compensatory fourth-round pick.
- 10:43 a.m. The Denver Broncos acquired former Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey for a seventh-round draft pick. Casey is a five-time Pro Bowler.
- 5:40 p.m. Tom Brady is set to join the Buccaneers barring “anything unforeseen,” according to ESPN.
- 5:39 p.m. The Panthers are reported to be giving former Saints quarterback Teddy Bridgewater a three-year, $63 million deal. One minute later, news breaks that Tom Brady is signing with Tampa Bay — and no one cares any more.
- 2:55 p.m. Tight end Jason Witten will join the Oakland Raiders.
- 2:54 p.m. The Colts are signing quarterback Philip Rivers to a one-year $25 million deal.
- 2:05 p.m. Former Chiefs and Bears linebacker Kevin-Pierre Louis is signing with the Washington Redskins, joining Fuller.
- 12:11 p.m. FOX Sports’ Colin Cowherd: “I was told that Tom Brady signs tomorrow with Tampa Bay”
- 11:28 a.m. Rams linebacker Cory Littleton is reported to have agreed with the Raiders on a three-year deal worth up to $36 million.
- 9:43 a.m. Former Chiefs defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah is heading to the Miami Dolphins, who continue to bolster their defensive unit. It is a two-year deal worth $15 million with $7.5 million fully guaranteed.
- 9:10 a.m. NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero says that no Brady decision is likely to come through on Tuesday. He says Brady will shut down and then “go dark” until he makes his choice.
- 7:45 a.m. Tom Brady announces he is leaving the New England Patriots; both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Los Angeles Chargers have made sizable offers.
March 16 (legal tampering begins)
- 10:40 p.m. Texans are reported to have signed wide receiver Randall Cobb to a three-year deal worth $27 million.
- 10:21 p.m. Chiefs cornerback Kendall Fuller is signing a four-year deal worth $40 million to re-join the Washington Redskins.
- 9:35 p.m. In a major trade, Stefon Diggs is coming to the AFC. The Buffalo Bills sent a first-round pick, a fifth-round pick, a sixth-round pick and a 2021 fourth-round pick to the Minnesota Vikings for Diggs and a seventh-round pick.
- 9:20 p.m. The Chiefs have re-signed backup quarterback Chad Henne — friend-of-the-site Terez Paylor of Yahoo! Sports says it’s a two-year deal.
- 7:46 p.m. The Raiders are signing quarterback Marcus Mariota.
- 7:15 p.m. Former Chiefs and Browns safety Eric Murray has reportedly agreed to terms with the Houston Texans — on a three-year deal worth up to $20.25 million.
- 5:51 p.m. The top two available cornerbacks are off the board. Byron Jones is signing with the Miami Dolphins and James Bradberry is signing with the New York Giants.
- 5:26 p.m. The New York Jets have reportedly “turned their attention” to Chiefs interior offensive lineman Stefen Wisniewski.
- 5:11 p.m. The Chiefs reportedly have an interest in bringing back quarterback Chad Henne.
- 3:03 p.m. The Colts trade the No. 13 overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, who agreed to a $21 million-a-year contract with the Colts (second highest-paid defensive tackle, only behind Aaron Donald).
- 12:27 p.m. The Houston Texans make a blockbuster trade, sending wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and a fourth-round pick to the Arizona Cardinals for running back David Johnson, a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick.
- 11:54 a.m. The Chiefs will not offer a contract tender to tight end David Wells, making him a free agent.
- 11:31 a.m. The Chiefs will not offer a contract tender to wide receiver Marcus Kemp, making him a free agent. Multiple reporters are implying Kemp could return to the Chiefs once his knee has healed.
- 11:03 a.m. The Chiefs confirm that they are exercising the 2020 options on Williams and Wilson.
- 10:37 a.m. The Chiefs make the franchise tag on Jones official.
- 9:55 a.m. The Chiefs have tendered qualifying offers to two exclusive right free agents: tight end Deon Yelder and offensive lineman Andrew Wylie.
- 9:39 a.m. Jones’ tag will be non-exclusive. Per NFL.com: “This is a one-year tender offer for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player’s position over the last five years, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player’s current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation if he signs with another organization.”
- 8:36 a.m. The Chiefs will exercise their 2020 club option on linebacker Damien Wilson.
- 7:33 a.m. The Chiefs will indeed officially franchise tag defensive tackle Chris Jones sometime on Monday.
- 6:50 a.m. The Chiefs will exercise their 2020 club option on running back Damien Williams.
March 15: The Chiefs will not re-sign free agent-defensive tackle-to-be Xavier Williams, according to Sam McDowell of The Kansas City Star.
February 29: The Chiefs will not exercise their 2020 option to retain offensive lineman Cam Erving, making him a free agent.
Chiefs 2020 free agents
- OL Andrew Wylie (tender offered)
- TE Deon Yelder (tender offered)
- QB Chad Henne (signed back with Kansas City)
- DL Mike Pennel (signed back with Kansas City)
- FB Anthony Sherman (signed back with Kansas City)
- WR Demarcus Robinson (signed back with Kansas City)
- CB Kendall Fuller (signing with Washington)
- DL Emmanuel Ogbah (signing with Miami)
- OL Stefen Wisniewski (signing with Pittsburgh)
- S Jordan Lucas (signing with Chicago)
- TE Blake Bell (signing with Dallas)
- LB Reggie Ragland (signing with Detroit)
- WR Marcus Kemp (will not offer tender)
- TE David Wells (will not offer tender)
- CB Bashaud Breeland
- QB Matt Moore
- DL Terrell Suggs
- RB Spencer Ware
- RB LeSean McCoy
- DL Xavier Williams
- CB Morris Claiborne
- OL Cameron Erving (team option declined)
- CB Keith Reaser
- LB Darron Lee
- WR Davon Grayson