The Kansas City Chiefs are taking the Jacksonville Jaguars in their Week 1 matchup. Refresh this page for live updates.
- Inactive list is out, as kickoff approaches
Here are the #Chiefs inactives today against the #Jaguars:— BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) September 8, 2019
S Jordan Lucas
LB Reggie Ragland
OL Ryan Hunter
OL Nick Allegretti
OL Martinas Rankin
TE Deon Yelder
DL Khalen Saunders
- Chiefs Kingdom well represented in Jacksonville
Lots of red. #KCvsJAX pic.twitter.com/nXJVkI4ju7— BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) September 8, 2019
- First offensive drive started slow, with a Damien Williams stuffed at the line on first down.
- After a short completion to Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins takes a pass over the middle 68 yards for the first big play, first touchdown for Mahomes and Watkins!
- Great start for Mahomes and the Chiefs offense.
- First play of the second drive- a beautiful pass for 40+ yards over Kelce’s shoulder, then another 21 yard pass to Watkins. Mahomes threw it out of the endzone on the move to Kelce, forcing a field goal.
- For once, the no-look pass failed the MVP, as Kelce was open there. Missed opportunity.
- Missed shot by Mahomes to Williams, wouldn’t have counted anyway with illegal formation.
- McCoy in at running back, and the pass goes to Watkins. Shady gets the carry and runs for a 1st down and a nice gain to start his Chiefs career.
- On second and eight, Mahomes to Hill, who was shook up on the play.
- On the very next play, a WIDE open Sammy Watkins goes 49 yards and his second touchdown of the quarter. 17-7 Chiefs
- Tyreek Hill questionable to return with a shoulder injury from his last catch.
- First play of this drive, another beautiful touch pass deep to Kelce.
- Watkins isn’t messing around in 2019, making a guy miss for another big gain, down to the 10 yard line.
- Mahomes slides and wanted a facemask penalty on the defense, looked like it should have been called. Now he’s limping off after a 3rd down sack by Josh Allen, and Matt Moore got ready to enter the game, but Mahomes got taped up and came back in.
- Miles Jack of Jacksonville was in a fight with Watkins and Robinson in the endzone on that play. Jack was ejected after an illegal contact penalty and taking a swing at Watkins, and had to be dragged off the field by coaches and teammates.
- Mahomes returned, took another hit completing a short pass to Robinson. After another scuffle on the tackle, the Chiefs add another field goal for a 20-10 lead.
- Damien Williams with a nice run on screen after lots of pre-snap motion.
- After a short pass to Kelce, back to McCoy on the ground, 3rd and 1.
- McCoy converts to move the chains, he’s got 3 carries for 19 yards at the 2 minute warning of the 1st half.
- Sammy Watkins turns a loss on a swing pass to the right into a 5 yard gain to the right.
- Damien Williams gets the first down breaking tackles along the way, then Darwin Thompson gets a short gain on swing pass.
- Mahomes moving gingerly on that ankle, not quite looking like himself.
- On 3rd and 7, misses Watkins over the middle, and Butker comes back on for a 46 yard kick. 23-13 Chiefs.
- After a run that went nowhere for Williams, Mahomes to Watkins again, sets up 3rd and short.
- Williams converted across midfield, 1st down Chiefs.
- Mahomes completes to Watkins once again, but now Watkins is shaken up.
- McCoy looks quick on a short route for another first down.
- After a Mahomes misfire towards Robinson, the pass rush gets to him again, and the ball flips into the air, caught by Jeff Allen. Offsides Jags means that Allen won’t get credit for the reception.
- Mahomes nearly hits Robinson in the endzone, but the Jags defender held Kelce again. First down at the 16 yard line.
- Screen to Sherman gets to the one foot line. Williams was stopped near the pylon, then Mahomes hit Kelce, but he couldn’t get feet inbounds. Jacksonsville flagged again for unsportsmanlike penalty and the Chiefs have first and goal again.
- Damien Williams mercifully walks in for the score, 30-13 Chiefs.
- The Belldozer gets into the action on first down with a short catch to end the 3rd quarter.
- Shady converts on 2nd and 3, then breaks one for 31 yards. Looking spry in his first Chiefs action.
- A pair of offsides penalties keeps the drive going for KC.
- Mecole drops the quick pass, but then Shady breaks more tackles and sets up 1st and goal.
- McCoy with the inside carry, setting up the hat trick for Watkins... touchdown Kansas City. 37-13 good guys.
- Chiefs take over, and CBS cuts away from the game to the Browns Titans contest.
- Chiefs finally had to punt.
- Damien Williams with the touchdown, called back due to a holding penalty on Wylie. Timeout Chiefs with 3:41 remaining.
- A couple of incompletions later, and Butker makes it 40-13
- The onsides kick fails, and the Chiefs should be able to run the clock out.
- 3rd and 1, Jacksonville uses their final timeout.
- Damien Williams converts for a 1st down, and the Chiefs will end it in victory formation.
- Run defense starts strong with Nnadi and Hitchens getting in the backfield to stop the first play for a loss.
- Drive ends with a harmless deep pass by Foles out of bounds, Three-and-out for Spags and company.
- Jags not getting anything going early on the second drive, Breeland broke up a pass, a failed run resulted in a holding penalty.
- But then, Foles managed to complete a 20 yard pass on 3rd and 18 after nearly getting sacked by Chris Jones. Thornhill was flagged for illegal use of the helmet on the play.
- Fournette broke the Frank Clark tackle and ran for another first down.
- Note: Emmanuel Ogbah getting some early run at defensive end.
- DJ Chark, Jr and Foles connected on a 35 yard touchdown over great coverage by Kendall Fuller. Foles took a shot on the play from Chris Jones and is being looked at on the sidelines. 10-7 Chiefs
- Chris Conley with his first catch against the Chiefs for a 1st down, then Fournette with a 12 yard run to the outside to end the 1st quarter.
- Another short Conley pass, and another holding penalty on the run play.
- Tanoh helps finish after Wilson attacks the ballcarrier.
- On 3rd and 13, Conley gets Jacksonville into field goal range, kick is good 17-10 Chiefs.
- Charvarius Ward got turned around more than once on a 69 yard deep pass to DJ Chark. Not good, 1st and goal Jaguars.
- The defense holds for another field goal, 20-13 Chiefs.
- Many have pointed out that the Jaguars backup quarterback, Gardner Minshew II is off to a hot start, completing his first 8 passes.
- While the Chiefs defense hasn’t recorded a sack, they are giving the Jags offensive line all they can handle, with yet another holding penalty just before halftime. 23-13 Chiefs at the half.
- The Chiefs front seven is battling, especially versus the run. The Jags are going after Frank Clark with multiple blockers. Another holding penalty, this time offset by a leg whip on Clark.
- On third down, another completion to Westbrook, with Fuller in close coverage, 1st down Jaguars.
- Fournette converts and the Jags are moving the ball again.
- On third and short, Damien Wilson makes a tremendous play, secures the tackle, strips the football, Breeland recovers and the Chiefs are in business.
- Jags offense takes over again, Thornhill makes the tackle for a short gain, and an illegal block in the back makes it 1st and 20.
- Who had Emannuel Ogbah in the pool for the first Chiefs sack of the season? Great hustle play for manny, followed by a near pick-6 for Okafor.
- A draw play on 3rd and forever leads to a Jacksonville punt.
- Okafor with the nice open field tackle for no gain on Westbrook.
- Fournette gets a first down, before another 35 yard strike to DJ Chark on blown coverage.
- Minshew keeps the play alive and hits another wide open receiver (Westbrook) for the touchdown. Jags go for two but don’t convert. 37-19 Chiefs.
- Frank Clark with the interception!
- 9 yard catch for former Chief TE , and the Jags offense is on the move.
- At the 2 minute warning, the Jacksonville offense is on the 42 yard line
- Chris Conley gets a garbage time touchdown on a back-shoulder throw. 40-26
- Onside kick fails, and the
Mecole Hardman, Not Tremon Smith took the opening kickoff, brought it back to about the 25.
- After the touchdown, Butker puts the kickoff out of reach through the endzone... as per the usual.
- Tyreek Hill got smothered on the first punt return opportunity, but the Chiefs take over with the 7 point lead.
- Harrison Butker hit a chip shot field goal to give the Chiefs a 10 point lead.
- The ensuing kickoff was... you guessed it... another touchback.
- Short return after the Jags touchdown, Chiefs take over inside their own 20.
- Butker... touchback, I’ll just stop documenting these until something else happens.
- First punt of the second half is a fair catch for Hardman, who is taking over return duties with Hill being out.
- Finally, a kick return, as Sorenson and Neimann make the bit stop at the 21.
- Tyreek Hill- shoulder, questionable to return. Update: he will not return.
- Patrick Mahomes- ankle, did return
|Net Punting Avg Yds||31.0||48.0|
|Field Goals (Made/Att)||4/4||2/2|
|Goal to go (Made/Att/Pct)||2/3/67%||0/1/0%|
|Red Zone (Made/Att/Pct)||2/6/33%||1/3/33%|
|Extra Points (Made/Att)||4/4||2/3|
|2Pt Conv (Made/Att)||0/0||0/1|
|Passing 1st downs||13||13|
|Rushing 1st downs||9||3|
|1st downs from penalties||2||2|
|3rd down (Made/Att/Pct)||5/10/50%||5/10/50%|
|4th down (Made/Att/Pct)||0/0/0%||0/0/0%|
|Yards per play||8.2||8.6|
|Total Rtn Yds (No KOs)||5||0|
|Punt Returns (Num/Yds)||1/0||0/0|
|Kickoff Returns (Num/Yds)||2/45||2/38|
|Int. Returns (Num/Yds)||1/5||0/0|
|Time of Possession||31:15||28:45|
|Yards per pass||11.10||10.20|
|Yards per rush||4.30||5.10|
|Kickoff Return TDs||0||0|
|Fumble Returns TDs||0||0|
|Punt Return TDs||0||0|
|Gardner Minshew II||22||25||275||11||2||69||1||1||3||122.5|
|Gardner Minshew II||1||6||6||0||6|
|DJ Chark Jr.||4||146||36.5||1||69||4||40|
|CHIEFS FUMBLES||FUM||LOST||FF||REC |
|JAGUARS FUMBLES||FUM||LOST||FF||REC |
|CHIEFS KICK RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|JAGUARS KICK RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|CHIEFS PUNT RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|JAGUARS PUNT RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|@Jaguars||TIAA Bank Field||Won |
|3:05 PM |
|Ravens||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Lions||Ford Field||12:00 PM |
|Colts||Arrowhead Stadium||7:20 PM |
|Texans||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Broncos||Broncos Stadium |
at Mile High
|7:20 PM |
|Packers||Arrowhead Stadium||7:20 PM |
|Vikings||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Titans||Nissan Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Chargers||Estadio Azteca |
|7:15 PM |
|Raiders||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Patriots||Gillette Stadium||3:25 PM |
|Broncos||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Bears||Soldier Field||7:20 PM |
|Chargers||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |