“The Franchise” episode three
The Kansas City Chiefs new show, “The Franchise,” came out with its third episode on Wednesday night. You can watch above, on Fox Sports Kansas City, or by using the Chiefs’ Facebook or YouTube channel.
- The latest episode opens with the official presentation of the “Thomas Defensive Meeting Room,” honoring both Derrick Thomas and Emmitt Thomas. Chiefs owner Clark Hunt leads the dedication. Edith Morgan, Derrick’s mom, and Emmitt himself are in attendance.
- Frank Clark soon joins the room after an introduction from Chiefs general manager Brett Veach. “I’m blessed and I’m thankful, and that’s all,” he says.
- Back to Nashville, where former Chiefs return specialist Dante Hall will announce the Chiefs’ third-round pick. Hall talks to the audience as he prepares to head to the draft stage.
- But first, Gary Green is on stage to select Virginia safety Juan Thornhill. Veach makes the call. Steve Spagnuolo gets on the phone to tell Thornhill he’s excited to have him on board.
- Hall then returns to the show to announce the Khalen Saunders pick. Veach explains the defensive picks in Thornhill and Saunders.
- The Chiefs hold “Draft Fest” on the Arrowhead Stadium field on day three. Mitch Holthus is on the stage. Holthus talks to the first three picks in Mecole Hardman, Thornhill and Saunders. They are unfortunately wearing the league’s atrociously-designed draft hats.
- Fast forward. Kahlil McKenzie, who is making the transition from defensive line to offensive line, is working with probably the best offensive lineman in Chiefs history, Will Shields. McKenzie: “I’d love to be able to work with (offensive line) coach (Andy) Heck all year round, but your coaches have a whole lot of responsibilities, so my agent asked me, ‘Would you want to leave to train or would you be cool just staying and sticking around?’ Me, I’m a homebody, so once I was here, I was like, ‘Hey, I’d rather stick it right here.’”
- You could tell McKenzie appreciates what Shields has to offer: “He’s so great knowing what we do and then applying his knowledge to it and giving his little nugget.”
- The show goes into McKenzie’s journey and how scouts asked him to work out as an offensive lineman at his pro day. The show moves to his home where he shares his love for anime. “The coolest thing about anime: it’s not even a physical person, so like the idea they can embody a lot of different characteristics.” McKenzie calls his house the “Animal House” because he has three cats and one dog. The dog’s name is Zeus.
- To the one-day retirement train we go: Jamaal Charles, Derrick Johnson and Dwayne Bowe. The Chiefs released much of this footage earlier this year.
- Next, the Chiefs cover a couple moments in the life of Holthus, who is doing some motivational speaking. He shares an anecdote about Mahomes asking him and Shields about surviving. Holthus said they told Mahomes to treat every year like his first season, working hard and staying humble.
- Next week’s episode covers Mahomes in the Big Slick Softball Game and Gehrig Dieter playing with dogs.
Grade episode three of "The Franchise."
This poll is closed