clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Report: Tyreek Hill temporarily lost custody of 3-year-old son

It is still unknown whether Hill or fiancée Crystal Espinal face — or will ever face — any kind of charges.

NFL: Los Angeles Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

On Thursday, there were two significant developments in the ongoing story about the investigation involving Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill.

On Thursday morning, we learned from the Kansas City Star that the NFL had sought (and received) the police report about the first of two times Overland Park police were called to Hill’s home, which for the first time made clear that the NFL knew about the case before it was first reported publicly on March 15.

But early in the afternoon, another story began creeping in — starting with this tweet from KCTV News.

Before KCTV5 ran this story on the air, we learned from Fox4 News that Hill was probably being videotaped entering the Johnson County Courthouse for what is commonly known as a CINC case — a family court case involving a child in need of care; it could have been anything ranging from the family court working with Hill and his fiancé Crystal Espinal to improve the living conditions for their young son to a custody hearing following charges of neglect or abuse.

In their 5 p.m. telecast, KCTV5 reported that Hill and Espinal temporarily lost custody of their three-year-old son. It’s unclear what the custody situation is of today.

KCTV5 said that they had first seen Hill entering the courthouse more than 10 days ago.

On April 5, we first saw Hill enter the Johnson County Courthouse. Hill’s attorney told KCTV5 “no comment” before Hill went before a family court judge that day. Multiple sources confirm to KCTV5 that was an emergency hearing and Hill’s child was temporarily placed in another home, pending further court action.

KCTV5 said that Hill returned to court on Wednesday, and was shown walking into the courthouse holding hands with Espinal — and then leaving the building through a side entrance just minutes later. They answered none of the questions posed to them by KCTV5 reporter Emily Sinovic.

KCTV5 said investigations are continuing.

The Kansas Department for Children and Families is investigating child abuse claims at Hill’s home. DCF says the investigation stemmed from an ongoing report it received, but did not say more.

The Johnson County District Attorney’s office is also investigating “allegations regarding Tyreek Hill.”

And then...

The D.A. has not given a timeline for when the prosecutor’s office will conclude its investigation or if charges will be filed.

This is the most significant development in this case since it was first reported over a month ago. Yet it is still unknown whether Hill or Espinal face — or will ever face — any kind of charges.

We will keep you updated with further developments.

Arrowhead Pride Premiere

Sign up now for a 7-day free trial of Arrowhead Pride Premier, with exclusive updates from Pete Sweeney on the ground at Arrowhead, instant reactions after each game, and in-depth Chiefs analysis from film expert Jon Ledyard.