The Kansas City Chiefs 2019 defensive coaching staff has been finalized, the team announced in a press release late Tuesday.
“After a thorough process, we are happy to finalize our defensive coaching staff.” Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said in the release. “All of these coaches are familiar with Steve, love the game and are good teachers that have had success in their careers. I’m looking forward to working with this group.”
The defensive coaching staff is as follows:
Steve Spagnuolo – Defensive coordinator
Brendan Daly – Run game coordinator/defensive line
Matt House – Linebackers
Dave Merritt – Defensive backs
Sam Madison – Defensive backs/cornerbacks
Britt Reid – Linebackers/outside linebackers
Terry Bradden – defensive quality control
Alex Whittingham – defensive assistant
The announcement confirms that the Chiefs have moved on from secondary and cornerbacks coach Al Harris. Chiefs legend and defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas retired from the coaching ranks one week ago.
Andy Reid’s son, Britt Reid, moves from the defensive line to the linebackers and outside linebackers coaching position. We knew Brendan Daly was coming to be the Chiefs’ defensive line coach, but “run game coordinator” is a new position. Whatever it means, I know the Chiefs could use it.
Here is a timeline of the offseason staff changes for the Chiefs:
- January 22: Bob Sutton fired as defensive coordinator
- January 24: Steve Spagnuolo hired as defensive coordinator
- January 26: Packers hire Chiefs’ Mike Smith as outside linebackers coach
- January 29: Bears hire Chiefs’ Mark DeLeone as inside linebackers coach
- February 7: Dave Merritt (reportedly) hired as defensive backs coach
- February 7: Brett Veach says defensive coaches will be “nailed down” in next few days
- February 8: Matt House (reportedly) hired as linebackers coach
- February 9: Matt House (reportedly) decided to remain at Kentucky
- February 9: Brendan Daly (reportedly) hired as defensive line coach
- February 12: Chiefs (reportedly) still trying to sign Matt House
- February 12: Matt House (reportedly) hired as linebackers coach (again)
- February 12: Chiefs defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas retires
- February 15: Sam Madison a “leading candidate” to join Steve Spagnuolo’s defensive staff
- February 18: Rutgers (reportedly) hires Chiefs’ Jay Valai as cornerbacks coach
Are you happy with the new defensive staff?
This poll is closed