For the first time since 2013, the Kansas City Chiefs lost back-to-back home games, losing to the Houston Texans 31-24 on Sunday.
- First drive: Quarterback Patrick Mahomes targeted WR Tyreek Hill to start the game, but the pass fell incomplete. RB LeSean McCoy took a screen pass for four yards, and RB Darryl Williams took another screen 49 yards for a huge gain. WR Mecole Hardman took yet another screen 14 yards, and Hill caught a 46 yard bomb on a free play for a touchdown. Chiefs 7 Texans 0
- Second drive: McCoy took the first handoff of the game for five yards, but holding penalties made for a third-and-15 that the Chiefs were unable to convert. The Chiefs took the field goal. Chiefs 10 Texans 0
- Third drive: Defensive penalties on the Texans helped the Chiefs convert the first third down of the drive. TE Travis Kelce caught an 18-yard pass a few plays later. McCoy had the longest run of the game with a 15-yard gain, and Hill followed it up with a 10-yard catch. RB Damien Williams ended the drive with a 14 yard screen pass for a TD. Chiefs 17 Texans 3
- Fourth drive: Defensive penalties helped the Chiefs convert their first two sets of downs of the drive, but a potential pass interference on what Mahomes thought was a free play turned into an interception — and the Texans’ ball.
- Fifth drive: The Chiefs started the drive with a 19-yard reception to WR Byron Pringle and a 17-yard gain pass to Kelce. Mahomes followed that up with consecutive near-interceptions, and the Chiefs failed to convert on third down. Harrison Butker missed the field goal.
- Sixth drive: Mahomes was sacked and stripped, and Houston recovered at the Kansas City 3-yard line.
- Seventh drive: Chiefs kneel to end the half
- Eighth drive: The Chiefs earned two first downs on the first four plays of the drive. Kelce followed that up with a 16-yard catch and run. Hardman caught a 10-yard pass to get the Chiefs into the red zone. Hill caught his second TD of the day to end the drive. Chiefs 24 Texans 23
- Ninth drive: The Chiefs went three-and-out and punted.
- Tenth drive: The Chiefs went three-and-out for the second straight drive
- First drive: Chiefs DE Frank Clark forced Texans RB Carlos Hyde to fumble on the first play of the drive — and the Chiefs recovered.
- Second drive: The Chiefs recovered what looked like a fumble by Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins, but it officials ruled the play was dead before the ball was loose. The Texans converted back-to-back third downs to start the drive, and followed those with two consecutive first-down gains. The Chiefs forced another third down and safety Jordan Lucas got the pass deflection to force a Texans’ field goal. Chiefs 10 Texans 3
- Third drive: The Texans started the drive with a first down pass to Keke Coutee and a 9-yard run from Hyde to end the first quarter. WR Will Fuller dropped what would have been a TD catch to start the second quarter, but Hyde converted the first down on the ground on the following play. The Texans converted three first downs to get into the red zone, and an 11-yard pass to RB Duke Johnson gave the Texans another score. Chiefs 17 Texans 9
- Fourth drive: The Texans started the drive with a 23-yard pass to Coutee, then got a 14-yard catch-and-run from Hyde. The Texans failed to convert on third-and-short on the following set of downs, but converted on fourth down. With first-and-goal to go, Hyde punched it in for the Houston score. Chiefs 17 Texans 16
- Fifth drive: A holding penalty by the Chiefs on third-and-long helped the Texans. The Texans faced third down on the following set of downs, and safety Juan Thornhill got an interception to stop the drive.
- Sixth Drive: Watson ran it in for the quick Texans score. Texans 23 Chiefs 17
- Seventh drive: The Texans drove 47 yards in seven plays to begin the drive, but Fuller dropped yet another TD catch. On third-and-5 to go, safety Daniel Sorenson made a tackle in the backfield to force a Houston field goal — which the Texans missed.
- Eighth drive: The Texans started the drive with two first downs in four plays. After a holding penalty was called on Chiefs CB Charvarius Ward, Hyde ran for 26 yards to get Houston into the red zone. The Texans converted on the following third-and-short, but Ward got an interception in the end zone to end the drive.
- Ninth drive: The Texans drove all the way to the 48-yard line from their own 7-yard line in four plays. After runs of nine, seven and 15 yards, Houston was within field goal range. A 9-yard pass to Fuller got the Texans into the red zone. A couple of first downs later, Watson ran it in for his second TD run of the game. Texans 31 Chiefs 24
- Tenth drive: The Texans drove 29 yards in the first three plays of the drive. Then faced with fourth-and-short the Texans converted to get the first down — and then drained the clock to end the game.
- Hardman returned the kickoff to start the game for the Chiefs. WR De’Anthony Thomas got a shot at a kickoff return in the second quarter.
- Texans offensive linemen Tytus Howard went down with a hamstring injury
- Texans corner Bradley Roby left the game with a hamstring injury
- Chiefs corner Kendall Fuller left the game with a thumb injury
|Net Punting Avg Yds||0.0||54.5|
|Field Goals (Made/Att)||1/2||1/2|
|Goal to go (Made/Att/Pct)||3/4/75%||1/1/100%|
|Red Zone (Made/Att/Pct)||4/6/67%||2/3/67%|
|Extra Points (Made/Att)||3/4||3/3|
|2Pt Conv (Made/Att)||1/1||0/0|
|Passing 1st downs||20||11|
|Rushing 1st downs||12||5|
|1st downs from penalties||3||4|
|3rd down (Made/Att/Pct)||5/12/42%||4/8/50%|
|4th down (Made/Att/Pct)||2/3/67%||0/0/0%|
|Yards per play||5.7||6.6|
|Total Rtn Yds (No KOs)||10||0|
|Punt Returns (Num/Yds)||1/10||0/0|
|Kickoff Returns (Num/Yds)||1/20||5/105|
|Int. Returns (Num/Yds)||1/0||2/0|
|Time of Possession||39:48||20:12|
|Yards per pass||6.70||7.10|
|Yards per rush||4.70||4.80|
|Kickoff Return TDs||0||0|
|Fumble Returns TDs||0||0|
|Punt Return TDs||0||0|
|Will Fuller V||5||44||8.8||0||12||9||37|
|CHIEFS FUMBLES||FUM||LOST||FF||REC |
|TEXANS FUMBLES||FUM||LOST||FF||REC |
|Tashaun Gipson Sr.||5||3||2||0.0||0.0||1||0||1||0||0||0||0|
|Lonnie Johnson Jr.||2||2||0||0.0||0.0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0|
|Tashaun Gipson Sr.||1||0||0.0||0||0|
|CHIEFS KICK RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|TEXANS KICK RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|CHIEFS PUNT RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|TEXANS PUNT RET||NO||YDS||AVG||LG||TD|
|@Jaguars||TIAA Bank Field||Won |
|Ravens||Arrowhead Stadium||Won |
|@Lions||Ford Field||Won |
|Colts||Arrowhead Stadium||Lost |
|Texans||Arrowhead Stadium||Lost |
|@Broncos||Broncos Stadium |
at Mile High
|7:20 PM |
|Packers||Arrowhead Stadium||7:20 PM |
|Vikings||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Titans||Nissan Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Chargers||Estadio Azteca |
|7:15 PM |
|Raiders||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Patriots||Gillette Stadium||3:25 PM |
|Broncos||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |
|@Bears||Soldier Field||7:20 PM |
|Chargers||Arrowhead Stadium||12:00 PM |