- FINAL: Chiefs 38, Chargers 28
- And now for, the Chop
"The Chop" has broken out here at the StubHub Center.— BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) September 9, 2018
- Sturgis’ attempt for a field goal is no good, goes far left. Score remains Chiefs 38, Chargers 28
- Update on Niemann injury:
Linebacker Ben Niemann is out with a hamstring injury. pic.twitter.com/1tRj5wFehz— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) September 9, 2018
- Chargers gain a quick 46 yards just before the two-minute warning
- 3’ to go calls for hype time:
Chris Jones is hyping up the #Chiefs fans here at StubHub during the timeout.— BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) September 9, 2018
- Ben Niemann heads off the field:
Ben Niemann jogged off the field after that punt with what appeared to be a left leg injury.— Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) September 9, 2018
- Chiefs 38, Chargers 28
- TOUCHDOWN CHARGERS. Chiefs’ Scandrick gets lost in the coverage and Rivers is able to find Williams for a 4 yard TD pass. Two point conversion attempt is successful.
- Rivers connects with Allen for 23 yards
- 8:36: Rivers finds Williams for 23 yards
- 9:42: False start called on LA’s Sam Tevi. Chargers’ Maurkice Pouncey pick up another penalty for offensive holding on the next play
- A look at the play:
- Hill’s third touchdown calls for a celebration:
Tyreek Hill backflips in the end zone in celebration— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) September 9, 2018
38-20, Chiefs pending PAT
- Chiefs 38, Chargers 20
- TOUCHDOWN CHIEFS. Extending the lead once more, Mahomes finds Tyreek Hill (again) for a 1 yard TD pass. Butker gets the extra point.
- James Winchester and De’Anthony Thomas come up big for the Chiefs. Thomas forces a fumble and Winchester recovers the ball inside the 5
- Chiefs 31, Chargers 20
- Chargers go for the two point conversion and it’s successful. Rivers finds Antonio Gates in the end zone
- TOUCHDOWN CHARGERS: Scandrick gets beat by WR Keenan Allen who gets on the end of a 20 yard TD pass from Rivers.
- 14:57: Rivers finds Tyrell Williams for 25 yards at KC 41
- Score going into the fourth quarter: Chiefs 31, Chargers 12
- Sherman was ready for that one:
I’m just saying, we saw the Shermanator practice this in training camp pic.twitter.com/8VVc6S2mjy— Tom Martin (@TomKCTV5) September 9, 2018
- Chiefs lead 31-12
- TOUCHDOWN! Mahomes finds Anthony Sherman deep for a 36 yard TD
- Mahomes finds Tyreek Hill deep again for 34 yards
Tyreek Hill at 267 all-purpose now.— Jeff Rosen (@jeff_rosen88) September 9, 2018
- Eric Murray picks up a penalty for defensive holding. 5 yards enforced at the Chiefs 37.
- Ron Parker intercepts a pass by Rivers that was intended for Allen and the Chiefs take over at their own 14
- Leading up to the Chiefs last touchdown:
The play that set up the Thomas TD: Sammy Watkins makes a catch not many No. 2 receivers can make. pic.twitter.com/URd7hwVo5E— Tom Martin (@TomKCTV5) September 9, 2018
- Dee Ford shuts down Gordon. No gain.
- Rivers hits Allen for 16 yards
- Rivers finds Gordon for 20 yards
- Chiefs 24, Chargers 12
The ol’ Andy Reid Middle Finger To The Chargers Play. pic.twitter.com/LQ0P8soJuN— Jeff Rosen (@jeff_rosen88) September 9, 2018
- TOUCHDOWN Kansas City. Mahomes find De’Anthony Thomas for a one yard touchdown
I love that drive. That's what I wanted to see. Ran the ball effectively, generated some easy (literally the easiest) completions, milked the clock.— Kent Swanson (@kent_swanson) September 9, 2018
- Mahomes gets fouled by Justin Jones who grabbed his face mask, giving KC first and goal
- Mahomes finds Sammy Watkins deep for 16 yards at the LAC 4 yard line
- Offsides called on Melvin Ingram
- It’s a sea of red in Los Angeles today at the StubHub Center:
- Mahomes runs the ball for 7 yards at the LAC 35
- Mahomes finds Tyreek Hill on the opening drive of the second half for 21 yards. Hill is racking up the yards today.
Hill 5 catches for 134 yards, that's the fifth-most so far in Week 1 and still has almost an entire half to go.— Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) September 9, 2018
- HALFTIME: Chiefs 17, Chargers 12
- Chiefs end the quarter with two incomplete passes from Mahomes to Tyreek Hil land then Travis Kelce
- Mahomes finds Tyreek Hill at the Chargers 38 for 20 yards
- KC takes second timeout with 38 seconds to go in the half
- Chargers wide receivers having difficulty connecting on the TD pass
NEAR MISS: Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Tyrell Williams can't hang onto a touchdown pass during the first half of an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Photo via @AP. #ChiefsKingdom #KCvsLAC pic.twitter.com/5iBjwPzJvo— KCTV5 News (@KCTV5) September 9, 2018
- Chargers’ Tyrell Williams gets flagged for an illegal block above the waist
- Update: Chiefs 17, Chargers 12
- Butker’s field goal good for 46 yards. Chiefs extend the lead to 17
- Mahomes connects with Hill at LAC 49 for 5 yards. Chargers’ Denzel Perryman goes down on the play.
- 5:10: Chiefs take their first timeout
- Mahomes rushes 8 yards for the Chiefs first down
- Chiefs offense back on and Tyreek Hill is back in the game
- Update: it’s a scorcher
Hot as hades on the field, and Chiefs defense has been there for 31 snaps; just 12 for the Chargers.— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) September 9, 2018
- Chiefs 14, Chargers 12
- Timeout leads to a Chargers touchdown on their next play back on the field. Rivers finally connects with a 13 yard TD pass to Austin Ekeler who beats Anthony Hitchens.
- Chargers offense having a difficult time getting on the end of Philip Rivers’ throws
- Chargers take another timeout following an incomplete pass to Gordon
- Penalty on Chiefs’ Chris Jones for defensive offsides
- 11:07: Chargers pick up 25 yards after Rivers finds Gordon at KC 34
- Tyreek Hill under concussion protocol, but out of injury tent with helmet in hand.
Tyreek Hill is out of the injury tent and has his helmet in hand. He went in after the reception in traffic to end the first quarter.— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) September 9, 2018
- KC picks up a penalty for having 12 players on the field. 5 yards enforced at LAC 4
- Patrick Mahomes sacked at the 45 by Chargers rookie Derwin James. 0 yards.
- Chiefs open the quarter with 2 incomplete passes by Mahomes to Kelce and Thomas.
- First quarter
- End of first quarter: Chiefs 14, Chargers 6
- Mahomes ends the first quarter with a deep pass left to Tyreek Hill at the LAC 45 for 30 yards
- Chargers go for another field goal and Sturgis makes it (39 yards); Chiefs 14, Chargers 6
- Chargers timeout looking at 4th-and-2 at the 21
- Anthony Hitchens reads the screen play and is able to beat the block and make the tackle
- Barksdale knee injury update:
Chargers tackle Barksdale (knee) questionable to return— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) September 9, 2018
- Mahomes looks for Travis Kelce deep right but the pass is incomplete
- 5:03: Mahomes pass incomplete to Sammy Watkins
- Barksdale is helped off of the field following the play
- Philip Rivers sacked at the KC 36 for -6 yards by Dee Ford on 3rd-and-10 and Joe Barksdale goes down with an injury
- 6:39: Chiefs’ Ron Parker picks up a penalty for unnecessary roughness, 15 yards enforced at the KC 45
- Tyreek Hill’s second TD:
It’s the Tyreek Hill show out here. pic.twitter.com/g0fQeSd2Ib— Jeff Rosen (@jeff_rosen88) September 9, 2018
- Kick from Butker is good for the extra point. Chiefs lead 14-3
- Tyreek Hill with another TD. Patrick Mahomes connects for a 58-yard touchdown pass
- Caleb Sturgis gets the Chargers on the board with a 45 yard field goal
- 10:09: Philip Rivers’ pass incomplete to Tyrell Williams
- Hill took the punt back 91 yards for the TD, Harrison Butker’s kick is good Chiefs lead 7-0
- Tyreek Hill with an early touchdown less than 2 minutes in
- Chargers opening drive is a 3 and out
- Chiefs win the toss, but defer. Chargers start with the ball first.
- According to ESPN’s Adam Teicher, with Eric Berry inactive today, Ron Parker and Eric Murray will be the starting safeties.
Ron Parker and Eric Murray are indeed the starting safeties as the Chiefs go through warmups— Adam Teicher (@adamteicher) September 9, 2018
- Chiefs inactives today:
- Chiefs fans are READY.
This is in the StubHub Center parking lot right now pic.twitter.com/rTcNso4X2P— Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) September 9, 2018
- Eric Berry is not suited up but he’s at the stadium and he was speaking at the center of the full-team huddle right before the Chiefs retreated to their locker room one final time, per Adam Teicher, ESPN
- And the Chiefs captains are...