With the preseason in the books, the Kansas City Chiefs have begun their 2018 NFL roster cuts. The Chiefs have until 3:00 p.m. Arrowhead Time on Saturday, September 1, to get their roster down to the regular season 53-player limit.
Stay tuned to this thread for live updates on Chiefs cuts, trades, rumors and more. The Chiefs might not officially confirm their roster moves until Saturday afternoon, but some could leak out before then.
CUTS AND UPDATES
- 3:46 p.m. Arrowhead Time - The Chiefs officially announced their full 53-man roster.
- 3:04 p.m. Arrowhead Time - OL Bentley Spain has been waived by the Chiefs, according to Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star.
- 2:56 p.m. Arrowhead Time - OL Ryan Hunter has been waived by the Chiefs, according to Matt Derrick of Chiefs Digest. Chiefs would like to bring Hunter, who saw time with the first-team line in OTAs, back to the team on the practice squad.
- 2:27 p.m. Arrowhead Time - DT T.Y. McGill has been released by the Chiefs, according to Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star.
- 2:17 p.m. Arrowhead Time - ESPN’s Adam Teicher speculates that the Chiefs are keeping Matt McGloin over Chase Litton. Matt Derrick of Chiefs Digest confirms the Chiefs have cut Litton but hope to sign him to the practice squad.
- 2:12 p.m. Arrowhead Time - S Leon McQuay has been released by the Chiefs, according to Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star.
- 2:09 p.m. Arrowhead Time - CB D’Montre Wade has been released by the Chiefs, according to Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star.
- 2:05 p.m. Arrowhead Time - In the first big surprise of the day, inside linebacker and former fifth-round pick Ukeme Eligwe has been waived by the Chiefs, according to Terez Paylor of Yahoo! Sports.
- 1:43 p.m. Arrowhead Time - It appears that S Ron Parker has returned to the Chiefs. Terez Paylor of Yahoo! Sports later confirmed the return.
- 1:36 p.m. Arrowhead Time - CB David Amerson has been released by the Chiefs, according to Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star.
- 1:23 p.m. Arrowhead Time - CB Will Redmond has been released by the Chiefs.
- 1:12 p.m. Arrowhead Time - WR Gehrig Dieter has been released by the Chiefs.
- 1:04 p.m. Arrowhead Time - WR Byron Pringle is headed to injured reserve, Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star is reporting. We expected this after Andy Reid said Pringle hurt his hamstring on Thursday night.
- 1:00 p.m. Arrowhead Time - In a different spin on Saturday’s updates, old friend Herbie Teope, now of NFL.com, is reporting that RB Darrel Williams has made the Chiefs’ 53-man roster.
- 12:51 p.m. Arrowhead Time - WR Jordan Smallwood and DL Dee Liner have been released by the Chiefs, both according to Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star.
- 12:38 p.m. Arrowhead Time - LB Rob McCray has been released by the Chiefs but is a candidate to make the team’s practice squad.
- 12:03 p.m. Arrowhead Time - CB Arrion Springs has been released by the Chiefs, per Matt Derrick of Chiefs Digest. This means that CB David Amerson should make the club. Derrick adds that Springs could be placed on the Chiefs’ practice squad if he clears waivers.
- 12:00 p.m. Arrowhead Time - Veteran OLB Frank Zombo has been released by the Chiefs. Our 53-man roster projection was correct in predicting his release, which should open the door for Ben Niemann to make the club at inside linebacker. The Chiefs also free up some cap space by cutting Zombo.
- 10:52 a.m. Arrowhead Time - WR Daniel Braverman and LB Raymond Davison have been released by the Chiefs.
- 9:54 a.m. Arrowhead Time - CB Keith Reaser has been released by the Chiefs.
- 8:54 a.m. Arrowhead Time - It would appear running back Ray Lawry is no longer a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.
- 8:07 a.m. Arrowhead Time - No Chiefs news yet, but the major story making its way around the NFL is the Bears’ trading for Raiders defensive lineman Khalil Mack. Reports say that the Raiders will acquire two first-round picks in the trade. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, “the most an NFL team has surrendered for a defensive player is when Vikings traded a 1, two 3’s and a swap of 5’s to Chiefs for DE Jared Allen. Bears trade for Khalil Mack, when it gets done, will top that, making it the most an NFL team has surrendered for a defensive player.” The positive news for the Chiefs is that Mack is no longer a player they’ll see twice a year.
- 6:00 p.m. Arrowhead Time - S Jordan Lucas acquired from Dolphins via trade.
- 4:13 p.m. Arrowhead Time - LB Otha Peters has been waived by the Chiefs.
- 12:54 p.m. Arrowhead Time - Andy Reid says new cornerback Charvarius Ward won’t start right away.
- 12:30 p.m. Arrowhead Time - Andy Reid comments on CB David Amerson: “We’ll just see how everything goes down. I don't have anything other than that really to say. We’ll just see how everything rolls here in the next couple of days, and go with it. I thought worked hard last week and he did some decent things, so he’s trying to work on the things that he needs to play in this defense.”
- 12:30 p.m. Arrowhead Time - Andy Reid comments on ILB Terrance Smith, who didn’t play Thursday night: “Terrance, we kind of know what Terrance is. He had a lot of snaps up to that point and he had been battling a little bit of a groin and so I just backed him off, and I’ve got pretty good tape on him and feel for him of what he is. I thought it was a good time for him to heal up here, just a little bit. He hadn’t missed anything, but he’s battling a little bit of a groin.”
- 11:33 a.m. Arrowhead Time - Chiefs officially announce the acquisition of CB Charvarious Ward from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for OL Parker Ehinger. Consider Ward a lock to make the 53-man roster.
- 10:15 a.m. Arrowhead Time - We shared Thursday night’s offensive snap counts and defensive snap counts on Twitter. These are worth paying attention to, as bubble players will be expected to play a bit on special teams if they do make the club.
- 8:25 a.m. Arrowhead Time - The Chiefs’ current roster stands at 90 players, meaning there are 37 moves to be made.
- 7:18 a.m. Arrowhead Time - As we wait for our first roster cut, check out our final 53-man roster projection. It includes our recommendation for the Chiefs to part ways with struggling cornerback David Amerson.
- 6:03 p.m. Arrowhead Time - Chiefs agree to trade offensive lineman Parker Ehinger to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for cornerback Charvarius Ward. We have a film review up on Ward, if you care to see what the Chiefs acquired in return.
LIVE TWITTER FEED
(Note: if the Twitter feed isn’t showing up for you, click here.)