The Kansas City Chiefs all but confirmed Eric Berry will play against the Los Angeles Chargers on Thursday night with a tweet of a video from their official Twitter account. It will be the first game for Berry this season.
Having worked for the organization for three seasons (2014-16), I can tell you with certainty this video wouldn’t have gone out if there were any question as to whether or not Berry was playing.
Berry has been held out of practice and games since mid-August with what the team has described as a sore heel, though reports, which have never been confirmed (nor denied) say Berry has what is called a “Haglund’s deformity.” He last played for the Chiefs in Week 1 of the 2017 NFL season, when the Chiefs defeated the New England Patriots, 42-27. Berry ruptured his left Achilles tendon during the game.
Since that game, including playoffs, he has missed 29 games.
As a reminder, the soreness Berry has this season that has kept him out more than 100 days is in his right heel, the same heel in which he had soreness in the last training camp.
Berry is a three-time first-team All-Pro and has been named to the Pro Bowl five times in his career. Berry won the Chiefs’ Derrick Thomas award (team MVP) during his last full season in 2016. Berry has 437 tackles (371 solo), 14 interceptions, five touchdowns, 51 passes defensed, 5.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in 87 career games.
Berry was the Chiefs’ No. 5 overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, and he has since spent all nine seasons of his career with the club. Berry signed a six-year, $78 million contract in early 2017that made him the highest-paid safety in the league.
Eric Berry, a 2018 timeline
- August 12 - Kansas City Chiefs Training Camp 2018: Sunday injury report (Berry misses practice with sore heel)
- August 21 - Chiefs’ latest injury report highlighted by Eric Berry’s absence
- August 23 - Eric Berry will miss Chiefs’ preseason game against Bears Saturday
- September 5 - Chiefs say Berry is “literally day to day”
- September 12 - Chiefs say they’re being “cautious” as Eric Berry misses another practice Wednesday
- September 17 - Eric Berry could practice this week, per report
- September 29 - Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel, per report
- October 14 - Chiefs “confident” Eric Berry will play this season, per report
- October 29 - Clark Hunt on Eric Berry: “It literally is day to day”
- November 18 - Eric Berry expected to begin practicing after the bye week, per report
- November 25 - Chiefs hopeful Eric Berry will return to practice this week, per (cautious) report
- November 27 - Eric Berry has reported to Chiefs facility with “intent to practice” this week, new report says
- November 28 - Chiefs confirm Eric Berry will return to practice Wednesday
- December 8 - Eric Berry won’t play Sunday but is “likely to play” against Chargers, per reports
- December 10 - Here’s this week’s obligatory Eric Berry update