The most monotonous storyline in recent history for the Kansas City Chiefs got another update early Monday afternoon when head coach Andy Reid took the podium for his weekly media address.
Reporters asked Reid if safety Eric Berry would play Thursday night against the Los Angeles Chargers after tweets from ESPN’s Adam Schefter saying he likely would surfaced Saturday night.
Berry has been sidelined through training camp with what the team maintains is a heel injury, though reports, which have never been confirmed (nor denied) say he has what is called a “Haglund’s deformity.”
“He was getting better as the week went on,” Reid said of Berry. “I’m going to see how it goes here these next couple days. There’s a chance.”
“I’m literally going to keep taking this day by day,” Reid, now chuckling, said. “We’ll just see how the thing goes. It’s nothing effort-wise or want-to. That’s the last thing that ever crosses your mind with this guy. It’s killing him. Trust me. It’s killing him not to be out there, but at the same time, we want to be smart with it. I know he’d like to play in the game.”
Reid confirmed there were no setbacks the past two weeks with Berry. If it is a matter of pain tolerance, Reid sounded confident in Berry’s abilities.
“This guy’s pain threshold is way up there, so I don’t know,” he said. “I think it’s a feel also on how everything feels. I think progressively it’s gotten better. I think with any injury there’s pain. It’s part of that, but it’s also how it feels to the athlete, which is important in this case.”
Eric Berry, a 2018 timeline
- August 12 - Kansas City Chiefs Training Camp 2018: Sunday injury report (Berry misses practice with sore heel)
- August 21 - Chiefs’ latest injury report highlighted by Eric Berry’s absence
- August 23 - Eric Berry will miss Chiefs’ preseason game against Bears Saturday
- September 5 - Chiefs say Berry is “literally day to day”
- September 12 - Chiefs say they’re being “cautious” as Eric Berry misses another practice Wednesday
- September 17 - Eric Berry could practice this week, per report
- September 29 - Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel, per report
- October 14 - Chiefs “confident” Eric Berry will play this season, per report
- October 29 - Clark Hunt on Eric Berry: “It literally is day to day”
- November 18 - Eric Berry expected to begin practicing after the bye week, per report
- November 25 - Chiefs hopeful Eric Berry will return to practice this week, per (cautious) report
- November 27 - Eric Berry has reported to Chiefs facility with “intent to practice” this week, new report says
- November 28 - Chiefs confirm Eric Berry will return to practice Wednesday
- December 8 - Eric Berry won’t play Sunday but is “likely to play” against Chargers, per reports