The Kansas City Chiefs answered the call in Denver on Monday night, extending their unbeaten streak to four games in a challenging environment. It wasn’t like what we’ve seen from the Chiefs so far this season, though. No touchdown on the first drive, trailing first for the first time and fighting from behind for most of the game — Monday night’s matchup was far from the fast and early offensive success we’ve witnessed from the Chiefs in weeks 1-3.
Down by 10 in the fourth quarter, it was going to take a big play from the Chiefs offense to claim the lead — and they did just that. The game-winning drive featured a left-handed throw by Mahomes, back-to-back deep throws by the young quarterback to Robinson for 23 yards then Harris for 35 and, finally, ending with a a 4-yard touchdown by Kareem Hunt to lift the Chiefs by five points.
Dee Ford and Sammy Watkins both left the field with their own respective injuries. Ford was questionable with groin injury and Watkins left the game with a hamstring injury
- GAME OVER. Chiefs win in Denver.
- KC timeout with :16
- Kendall Fuller nearly intercepts a pass to Sanders. Keenum throws incomplete to Thomas who had the chance to walk it in to the end zone
- Keenum finds a break and hits Emanuel Sanders picks up 12 yards then hits Heureman in stride for 36 yards
- Rookie Armani Watts comes up big with the sack at the Denver 15
- Chiefs 27, Broncos 23
- CHIEFS TOUCHDOWN! Kareem Hunt for four yards. Butker’s extra point is good. Chiefs claim the lead
- Kareem Hunt goes for 2 and the Chiefs take timeouts at 1:43 and 1:49
- Mahoms looks for Kelce and he goes down out of bounds.
Travis Kelce is down on the field— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) October 2, 2018
- Mahomes finds Robinson for 23 yards then Harris for 35 at the Bronco’s 11
- Back-to-back Chiefs penalties. Intentional grounding call on Mahomes (3:07) and then a offensive holding call on Morse (2:59)
- Mahomes converts third and five with a left handed throw
- 3rd down and Mahomes under pressure throws
- King punts 35 yards to KC 40 and it’s Chiefs ball with 4:35 remaining in the game
- Allen Bailey comes up big with the sack on Keenum for 0 yards
- KC 20, DEN 23
- TOUCHDOWN. Mahomes finds Kelce for 2 yards and the extra point by Butker is good! Chiefs close in on the Broncos.
- Hunt rushes up the middle to Denver 2 for 7 yards
- Mahomes hits Kelce at the Denver 9 for 9 yards
- Mahomes finds Kelce at Denver 23 for 19 yards
- Penalty called on Travis Kelce for offensive pass interference enforced at 32
- Mahomes finds Kareem Hunt for 22 yards
- Illegal use of hands called on LDT enforced at KC 41
- Mahomes finds Kelce for 7 yards then Kareem Hunt for 5
- Chiefs 13, Broncos 23
- McManus goes for a 46 yard field goal and it’s good. Denver extends the lead.
- Freeman and Lindsay both rush up the middle for a combined 6 yards
- Keenum finds Janovich deep for 32 yards
- Injury update:
Linebacker Dee Ford is questionable to return with a groin injury. pic.twitter.com/hizy9vjkry— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) October 2, 2018
- Mahomes looks deep to Harris who is nearly picked off
- Mahomes finds Kelce then Hill for just a combined 9 yards
- Broncos lead 20-13 with 2:05 remaining in the third quarter
- DENVER TOUCHDOWN. Phillip Lindsay goes up the middle for a yard and the extra point is good.
- Penalty on KC’s Orlando Scandrick called for defensive pass interference. 13 yards, enforced at KC 18
- Phillip Lindsay picks up 19 yards before getting pushed outside back by Eric Murray
- Keenum finds LaCosse for 17 yards and he’s pushed outside back at KC 37
- Colquitt punts 44 yards to end zone
- Mahomes throws incomplete to Conley
- False start penalty on Eric Fisher enforced at Denver 39
- Kareem Hunt pushed outside back at Denver 31 for 13 yards
- Eric Murray intercepts a pass intended for Heuerman at Denver 43
- Kansas City 13, Denver 13
- 3rd-and-goal and the look to Demarcus Robinson is no good. Chiefs go for 21 yard field goal and it’s good. Tied game.
- Chiefs lose 2 yards after Kareem Hunt tries to rush up the middle
- Mahomes barely stays within line and finds Kelce for 29 yards
- False start penalty called on Eric Fisher. Enforced at Denver 27
- Mahomes looks for Travis Kelce, but it’s dropped again by the tight end
- Mahomes adjusts and breaks free from Bronco’s defense, finds space and hits DAT at Denver 31 for 15 yards
- Mahomes finds Conley for 1 yard and KC takes a timeout at 14:09
- Travis Kelce gets shut out on his fourth target from Mahomes on his first drive of the second half
- Chiefs 10, Broncos 13
- McManus goes for the field goal to end the half and it’s good, giving Denver the lead.
- Keenum looks for Sutton deep right, but Kendall Fuller forces him out of bound to prevent the connection in the red zone
- Orlando Scandrick is there to stop Thomas at the KC 21 for no gain and it’s timeout #3 with :40
- Denver timeout at :48
- Reviewed play called short and puts Denver at 4th-and-1 and Keenum finds Thomas to get first down
- (1:22) Denver timeout
- Keenum finds Sanders and Booker for a combined 27 yards
- Colquitt punts 41 yards
- Back-to-back incomplete passes by Mahomes to Kelce then Conley
- Demarcus Robinson picks up a face mask penalty enforced at KC 47
- KC timeout at 4:12
- Mahomes finds DAT and defensive offsides (5 yard penalty) is called on Chubb at KC 36
Hello darkness my old friend. https://t.co/APmHos5Qts— Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) October 2, 2018
- Chiefs 10, Broncos 10
- 3rd down and 1 and Denver finds the end zone to cut the deficit. The extra point is good to tie.
- Case Keenum hits big with a 42 yard pass to Sutton at the Chiefs 23
- Chiefs 10, Broncos 3
- The field goal is good and Chiefs lead: cue celebration*
- Mahomes throws incomplete to Tyreek Hill, but on the next play scrambles and finds his way into the end zone for the Chiefs first TOUCHDOWN
- Chiefs injury update:
Wide receiver Sammy Watkins is questionable to return with a hamstring injury. pic.twitter.com/7FzDcYZ4lH— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) October 2, 2018
- Mahomes gets sacked on the next play on the Broncos 8
- Mahomes finds Robinson for first down
- Kareem Hunt quickly redeems himself and picks up 45 yards before being pushed outside back by Jones
- Tyreek Hill seen limping off of the field
- (12:49) Kareem Hunt struggles to get on the end of an easy open toss from Mahomes
Denver is averaging 8.10 yards per run.— Craig Stout (@barleyhop) October 2, 2018
They're also averaging 3.10 yards per pass.
- END OF FIRST QUARTER Chiefs 3, Broncos 3
- Dee Ford comes up big for the Chiefs defense before the end of the first. Kansas City holds Broncos to 3
Dee Ford tracks that run play down from behind. Couple of good run stuff by Ford early. I believe @TerezPaylor mentioned it's a contract year, right?— Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) October 2, 2018
- Mahomes throws three incomplete to Travis Kelce then Hill then Kelce again
- Holding called on Denver. King punts 51 yards to the KC 22. Tyreek Hill gets on the end of it and takes it all the way to the Denver 41 for 37 yards
It’s already happened once more than I thought back when I took this video. https://t.co/5Q2xBkDIGs— Nate Bukaty (@nate_bukaty) October 2, 2018
- Case Keenum sacked at the Bronco’s 24
- First time this season Chiefs don’t score a TD on the opening drive and it’s now 3-3
- Harrison Butker goes for the field goal and it’s good. Tied game.
- Mahomes finds Tyreek Hill for 5 yards who’s pushed outside back then throws incomplete to Sammy Watkins
- Mahomes fumbles and recovers at the Denver 20
- Kareem Hunt picks up 27 yards after Patrick Mahomes finds him open and he pushes his way forward
- 15 yard face mask penalty called on Adam Gotsis after a play on Kareem Hunt enforced at the KC 40
- Chiefs go for fourth on their own 34 and Kareem Hunt makes it
Chiefs use an extra offensive lineman to try and pick up the extra yard, but even with Patrick Mahomes' push, the Chiefs don't get it.— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) October 2, 2018
They'll go for it though. Riverboat Reid!
- Mahomes finds Conley on his first throw of the game
- Patrick Mahomes and the offense take the field trailing for the first time this season
- Denver 3, Kansas City 0
- Keenum finds Heueman at the KC 24 for 7 yards, but he’s tackled by Kendall Fuller. Broncos take the field goal and it’s good for the lead.
- Dee Ford sacks Denver QB Case Keenum
- Denver rookie Lindsay breaks through the Chiefs defense for 17 yards
- Kendall Fuller misses the tackle and Broncos pick up 18 yards
- Denver gets first down on their first drive of the game
- And in the stands...
- Chiefs start on defense
- Chiefs defer on the toss for the fourth straight game
You're going to be shocked, but the Chiefs won the toss and deferred.— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) October 2, 2018
It’s game day!
The Kansas City Chiefs head to Denver to take on the Broncos on Monday Night Football beginning at 7:15 p.m. Arrowhead Time.
The Chiefs are looking for their fourth win in a row to start the 2018 season while the Broncos hope to play better following their 27-14 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.
Here’s how to watch:
Nuts and bolts
Location: Broncos Stadium at Mile High in Denver, Colorado
Game time: Monday, October 1, 2018 | 7:15 p.m. CT
TV channel: ESPN (KMBC local)
Online Stream/Replay: NFL Gamepass
Pregame show: Arrowhead Pride Tailgate, 6 p.m. on 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City | Presented by Albright Buick GMC Cadillac
Radio: 101.1 The Fox (Mitch Holthus, Kendall Gammon and Dani Welniak) | Spanish Radio Broadcast: La Mega 1160 AM (Tico Sports)
Matchup history: Chiefs lead 61-54 (regular season)
Odds: Chiefs -3.5
Final Injury Report: Chiefs-Broncos
Prediction: Chiefs 45, Broncos 21 (Sweeney) | Full staff predictions
Announcers: Joe Tessitore (play-by-play), Jason Witten (analyst), Lisa Salters (sideline), Booger McFarland (field)
Enemy SB Nation site: Mile High Report
Twitter: Arrowhead Pride
Facebook: Please like us!
Chiefs 2018 regular-season schedule
Week 1 | Sep 09 | Chiefs @ Chargers | StubHub Center | 3:05 PM CBS Week 2 | Sep 16 | Chiefs @ Steelers | Heinz Field | 12:00 PM | CBS Week 3 | Sep 23 | 49ers @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | FOX
Week 4 | Oct 01 | Chiefs @ Broncos | Sports Authority Field at Mile High | 7:15 PM | ESPN
Week 5 | Oct 07 | Jaguars @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS
Week 6 | Oct 14 | Chiefs @ Patriots | Gillette Stadium | 7:20 PM | NBC
Week 7 | Oct 21 | Bengals @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS
Week 8 | Oct 28 | Broncos @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS
Week 9 | Nov 04 | Chiefs @ Browns | FirstEnergy Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS
Week 10 | Nov 11 | Cardinals @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | FOX
Week 11 | Nov 19 | Chiefs @ Rams | Estadio Azteca (Mexico City) | 7:15 PM | ESPN
Week 12 | Bye
Week 13 | Dec 02 | Chiefs @ Raiders | Oakland Coliseum | 3:05 PM | CBS
Week 14 | Dec 09 | Ravens @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS
Week 15 | Dec 13 | Chargers @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 7:20 PM | FOX
Week 16 | Dec 23 | Chiefs @ Seahawks | CenturyLink Field | 7:20 PM | NBC
Week 17 | Dec 30 | Raiders @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS