clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Arrowheadlines: Media calls for Chiefs to fire defensive coordinator Bob Sutton


Should the Chiefs fire Bob Sutton?

This poll is closed

  • 89%
    (3367 votes)
  • 10%
    (400 votes)
3767 votes total Vote Now

Chiefs should fire defensive coordinator Bob Sutton | The Kansas City Star

Bob Sutton needs to be fired.

The Chiefs should be looking for a new defensive coordinator. There is no joy in calling for a man’s job, but then, there is no joy in watching a defense underperform its talent and fair expectations over and over and over again.

This can’t continue. That is plain. That is obvious.

The saddest thing about this Chiefs’ season | Arrowhead Pride

Dustin Colquitt and Albert Wilson are unrestricted free agents. Alex Smith will probably be traded. Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali, the 2005 and 2006 first-rounders who never showed their age, this season finally did.

And there are more players on this list, and with general manager Brett Veach’s first full offseason upcoming, the moves involving them become all the more difficult to predict.

Referee explains contended rulings in Titans-Chiefs |

"Listen, I don't really have anything good to say there so I'm just kind of going to stay away from any comments on those guys," Reid said in reference to the game's officials. "Don't want to get fined or whatever. It's not worth it."

Chiefs coach Andy Reid on Kareem Hunt's lack of carries | The Kansas City Star

“Could we have called him more? Yeah, we look back at it and maybe we could have. Maybe we could have handed it to him more,” Reid said of the running plays for Hunt.

Chiefs’ Andy Reid searching for answers in wake of latest playoff failure | The Kansas City Star

“We know where he stands with letting a game like this slip away from us,” inside linebacker Derrick Johnson explained. “He puts a lot of pressure on himself. But at the same time, we’re players and we know that we’ve got to get it done. We didn’t. Today (stinks).”

KC Chiefs-Tennessee Titans postgame podcast, game analysis, 01/06/18 | The Kansas City Star

Why does this keep happening to the Chiefs? How did it happen? What can they do to prevent it from happening again? They’ll answer all those questions, plus more during a live Q&A.

Status quo has to change for Chiefs, including moving on from Alex Smith | The Kansas City Star

Reid has to strongly consider a change at defensive coordinator from Bob Sutton to shake up a defense that’s gone stale and that for the second straight year simply couldn’t stop the run when it had to in a playoff loss.

Kansas City Chiefs to explore trade options for Alex Smith this year | Mile High Report

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network said of the Chiefs intentions with Smith, “My understanding is the Kansas City Chiefs are going to explore trade options for Alex Smith and the likelihood is he is playing for a new team in the 2018 season.”

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce improving after concussion | The Kansas City Star

Speaking to reporters Sunday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said that Kelce had improved after absorbing the second-quarter blast from Tennessee Titans safety Johnathan Cyprien. The hit knocked Kelce out of the game Saturday.

Chiefs' win probability was nearly 98 percent vs. Titans | The Kansas City Star

ESPN’s Darren Rovell shared a picture of what the Chiefs’ win probability was early in the third quarter: 97.9 percent. Yep, the Titans’ chances of rallying was a mere 2.1 percent. But it wasn’t over.

NBC's Tony Dungy, Rodney Harrison rip Chiefs after playoff loss | The Kansas City Star

“I didn’t like it after they got off their script,” Dungy said. “The first 15 plays, they were aggressive, play-action passes, taking the ball down field. After that, I felt they lost their aggressiveness. I know Travis Kelce got hurt, but I didn’t see that same aggressiveness.”

Officiating in Titans-Chiefs was 'horrible,' but it didn't decide game | ESPN

As I noted in our wild-card officiating scouting report, Triplette has a fairly earned reputation for extended discussions and occasional high-profile gaffes. There are certainly referees who inspire more confidence that the game is under control. And to be fair, playoff assignments are determined by regular-season grades. But Triplette and his crew didn't support their presumably high grades on Saturday night. The worst moment, in my opinion, came in the third quarter. After Marcus Mariota caught his own deflected pass for a touchdown, Triplette explained that the Titans quarterback was an eligible receiver because Mariota had been in the shotgun formation.

Andy Reid may not be right coach for Chiefs after latest playoff collapse | ESPN

Reid at this juncture looks like a coach who is good enough to get the Chiefs to the playoffs but not beyond. That's why they have to take a moment or two to ponder whether he's still the right guy for the job.

Arrowhead Pride Premier

Sign up now for a 7-day free trial of Arrowhead Pride Premier, with exclusive updates from Pete Sweeney on the ground at Arrowhead, instant reactions after each game, and in-depth Chiefs analysis from film expert Jon Ledyard.