clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Inexact poll shows Chiefs have two of the top five coveted QBs in the AFC

NFL: AFC Wild Card-Tennessee Titans at Kansas City Chiefs Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

That, my friends, is the definition of covet - which is something the majority of NFL teams have not done regarding a Chiefs quarterback in quite some time.

However, a recent survey I created says otherwise and the results are well, interesting.

The Survey

So let’s get a little background regarding the survey, shall we? The survey was simple, it asked the question “Would you be happy if this QB was your starter in 2018?” Every potential starting QB in the NFL had a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’ by their name.

In total there were 891 respondents which far exceeded my expectations. Seriously, thank you everyone for filling the survey out.

I posted the survey on Chiefs Twitter and a handful of other SB Nation sites. I specifically targeted SB Nation sites which had some flummox or recent flummox at the QB position: Giants, Bills, Colts, Browns, Redskins, Ravens, Jaguars, Bengals, Jets, and Bears.

The vast majority of survey respondents were likely Chiefs fans. If I had to put a number on it, I would say that 80% of the respondents were Chiefs fans and the other 20% were from a mixture of other franchises.

So this is an “unofficial poll” and the results should be taken with a slight grain of salt. Nearly 1,000 respondents is a good number, but the distribution among different fanbases is just not there.

Sadly, I’m limited in my ability to reach out to the entire NFL, so we’re stuck with my small circle at the moment. Maybe someday I’ll be in a position to form a fully accurate and professional survey. As is we’ll call this an “ArrowheadPride biased survey”.

The Results

I’m not going to beat around the bush much with this, here are the results for 32 NFL quarterbacks. Note the Chiefs quarterbacks in red.

I apologize if that is difficult to read, but the results are interesting.

58 percent of the respondents said they would be happy with Alex Smith as their starter in 2018. 70 percent of the respondents said they would be happy if Patrick Mahomes was their starter in 2018.

Looking at the results, there are two things people really covet when it comes to a QB: the hope of youth, and consistent performers. The Chiefs, after years of QB problems, somehow have both going for them in 2018 as of now.

Let’s take a look at the AFC only now.

According to this inexact poll, the Chiefs have two of the top five coveted QBs in the AFC - that’s impressive. I can’t honestly think of any time in the Chiefs history where this particular situation has occurred.

There are tons of ways to dissect this information, and I think I’ll let the majority of it be hashed out in the comments. One particular angle I think is very interesting are potential trade partners for Alex Smith, but like I said, I’ll let the comments section figure all of that out.

I plan on using this data in at least one other article, but I felt the results were worth sharing as soon as I got them. Thank you once again to everyone who participated, and I hope it was worth the 30 seconds it took to fill out the survey.

It's Game Time.

It's time for a title defense in Chiefs Kingdom. Sign up for Arrowhead Pride Premier and we’ll deliver 3 newsletters leading up to the Super Bowl packed with exclusive coverage and analysis from Las Vegas you won’t find anywhere else. For a limited time, use the code SUPERBOWL30 to save 30% plus a free trial