I don’t think Forbes really knows how much each sports team is worth but they do a ranking each year with their own estimates. The Kansas City Chiefs are worth $1.88 billion in 2017, according to Forbes. That puts them 44th on the list of the most valuable sports teams in the world.
The Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New Orleans Saints are listed below them on the top 50. Listed two spots ahead of the Chiefs? The Jaguars. Indeed, the Jaguars are more valuable than the Chiefs, says Forbes. The optics on that aren’t ideal because the Chiefs view themselves among the NFL’s elite on the field while the Jaguars are ... the Jaguars.
The Raiders weren’t on this list in 2016. This year, they’re ranked eight spots ahead of the Chiefs at No. 34 and a value of $2.1 billion, up 47 percent over last year. The Raiders seem like an easy prediction to keep rising on this list in the years to come.
The Dallas Cowboys are the top team on the list with a worth of $4.2 billion. Pretty good investment of $140 million by Jerry Jones in 1989. The next NFL team on the list is the Patriots followed by the Giants and 49ers. The Rams are 12th on the list with a value of $2.9 billion. Amazing what Los Angeles can do for you.
1. Dallas Cowboys, $4.2 billion, 5% (NFL)
2. New York Yankees, $3.7 billion, 9% (MLB)
3. Manchester United, $3.69 billion, 11% (Soccer)
4. Barcelona, $3.64 billion, 2% (Soccer)
5. Real Madrid, $3.58 billion, -2% (Soccer)
6. New England Patriots, $3.4 billion, 6% (NFL)
7. New York Knicks, $3.3 billion, 10% (NBA)
8. New York Giants, $3.1 billion, 11% (NFL)
9. San Francisco 49ers, $3 billion, 11% (NFL)
9. Los Angeles Lakers, $3 billion, 11% (NBA)