The Kansas City Chiefs plans for Red Thursday, the Chiefs first home game, are very extensive. This is a master class in a team interacting with the community (and their sponsors). The amount of activities and Chiefs signage going up around the city is all very neat to see.
The Chiefs sent us a release with everything that's going on this week so I rounded it all up and included it in a listing below. What we need from you is pictures of all of these. When you see one of these around town this week, take a picture and send it to me @ArrowheadPride or email me.
This Chiefs press release had a line that made me laugh:
"This is Chiefs Kingdom" flags placed in tanks at Sea Life at Crown Center, as well as an octopus interacting with a Chiefs Helmet. The octopus interaction will be at 2 p.m.
I don't know why but "The octopus interaction will be at 2 p.m." has me rolling. What a world we live in. Most of these things will be up by Tuesday. Some of the others, such as Clark Hunt selling flags, will be on Thursday morning.
Chiefs Red Thursday celebration this week
- The flags on the last hole of the five city golf courses will be flying a Chiefs flag
- Large Arrowheads will be painted on lawns around town (Nelson-Atkins Museum, Ward Parkway & Shawnee Mission, Liberty Memorial Lawn, Jackson County Courthouse, City Hall, KCI Airport)
- Large "This is Chiefs Kingdom" flags will be raised on flag poles around town (Kansas Speedway, Kauffman Stadium, Sporting Park, Union Station, Westin Crown Center/Sheraton Crown Center, Intercontinental Hotel, City Market, Hilton President Hotel (on top of hotel), Barney Allis Plaza, Summit & 25th Flag Pole, KCI Airport)
- A dozen Chiefs Kingdom flags flying over the Sister Cities Bridge across Brush Creek in the Plaza
- KC Live! Block canopy in Power and Light District lit red through Thursday evening
- Marquee signage at Alamo Drafthouse to display Red Thursday messaging
- Union Station lit in red; Chiefs gobo shining on building; two Chiefs flags flying
- Building lights on side of hotel programmed to display massive scrolling Chiefs message / logo
- Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts lit red
- Large Chiefs Kingdom flag at Lockton on the Plaza
- KC Parks and Rec fountains dyed red (J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain, Children's Fountain, Westside Fountain)
- Clark Hunt will be out selling Chiefs Kingdom flags
- Mayor Sly James will sell flags at KCP&L with Chiefs GM John Dorsey
- Seven airplanes will fly across downtown Kansas City, leaving a trail of red smoke (they did this last year, too)
- KC Wolf will be using his new ride to get from location to location to help with flag sales
- KC Symphony will play on the corner of 31st St. and Southwest Trafficway the morning of Red Thursday
- Omaha fans, you can get in on this too!