Kansas City Chiefs S Eric Berry exited Friday's 34-10 preseason victory over the Tennessee Titans with 18 snaps under his belt. This comes after Berry had 21 snaps the previous week and eight snaps in the Chiefs preseason opener. This whole situation is new because it's not every day someone returns from cancer but Berry looks like he's getting back to his regular self. I personally can't tell much of a difference. I would like to see him in even more extended action but that's not likely to happen in the preseason finale, which Andy Reid typically sits his starters in.
Meanwhile on offense, WR Chris Conley led all players with 52 snaps. The next closest on the team was 39 snaps. He had three catches for 30 yards, his first catch of the preseason. Conley also led all Chiefs receivers in snaps for last week's game so obviously the Chiefs wanted to get him a lot of work. Conley missed the first two weeks of camp and the first preseason game so he was behind. All this extra work is helping to get him involved in the offense. I'll be curious to see what type of carryover we see in the preseason.
The Chiefs first team offense and defense played roughly a half. QB Aaron Murray came in to play with the first team late in the first half while the second team defense came in at the start of the second half.
Here are your snap counts...
- QB Chase Daniel did not play at all. QB Aaron Murray, who had attempted just one pass in the first two preseason games, played the end of the first half and entire second half.
- RB Jamaal Charles had five touches for 41 yards in his 13 snaps. He will have a big role this year, obviously.
- RB Knile Davis led everyone with 40 snaps last week. So the Chiefs saw what they wanted out of him last week with just six snaps this week.
- WR Fred Williams is making his case to be on the roster. In 17 snaps, he had five catches for 62 yards and two touchdowns. Man, how good must it feel to be him right now knowing you balled out when you had to?
- WR Albert Wilson left early with a shoulder bruise.
- Based on preseason action, here's how I see the tight ends: Travis Kelce, James O'Shaughnessy, Ryan Taylor.
- WR L'Damian Washington did not play at all. Too bad, I thought he had some potential.
- The Chiefs first team got quite a bit of work. 30-ish snaps for that group is equivalent of a half.
- Perfect spit for LBs Tamba Hali and Dee Ford. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out in a real game.
- DE Vaughn Martin got just three snaps. Huh. No snaps last week. Wonder what's up.
- One snap for S Sanders Commings. I am guessing that's not good news for him but who knows.
- DT Hebron Fangupo has flashed here and there. He could've easily slipped through but the Chiefs got him 20 snaps. There's always a surprise on the 53-man roster.
- The Chiefs are really committed to this CB Sean Smith on the second team thing.
- DE Mike DeVito left early with a stinger.