Sometimes you just need to go all out with some good 'ol speculation. That's what this post is after reading an item in the Miami Herald regarding the Miami Dolphins offensive line. Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that in Miami there is "concern about the situation at guard, where nobody has seized a position."
The Chiefs, as you know, already have one former offensive lineman in Miami in Branden Albert. Could there be another former Chiefs lineman coming to Miami? I mention this because the Chiefs have a number of players I like at guard, perhaps one too many.
- Jeff Allen is heading into a contract year, which always seems to get the best out of players.
- Mitch Morse could be a backup (or heck, a starter) at the right guard spot. The Chiefs won't trade him and he's a lock to make the roster.
- Paul Fanaika signed a multi-year free agent deal. It seems unlikely the Chiefs would cut or trade Fanaika months after signing him. He has been running with the second team.
- Zach Fulton started 16 games as a rookie.
- The Chiefs liked Laurent Duvernay-Tardif enough to keep him on the active roster last year even though he wasn't playing. That suggests to me they thought another team would've signed him if he were on the practice squad.
In addition to these five, the Chiefs have Eric Fisher, Ben Grubbs and Eric Kush, who I consider locks to make the roster. I haven't even made it to right side where Donald Stephenson is a good bet to make it at tackle. That's eight, maybe nine players in addition to whatever offensive line surprise the coaching staff pulls off during roster cut downs (because there's always a surprise player they like).
Jeff Allen is the one that I think about when it comes to trade speculation, mostly because he has some experience and you might be able to get something of value for him. I like Jeff a lot and would keep him if I were the GM but the Chiefs have talked about moving his position from guard to tackle a couple of times (he moved there before the 2014 season and Andy Reid talked about moving him there earlier this offseason). Any time you don't have a position locked down, it makes me wonder how the coaching staff feels. What Jeff has going in his favor is that he started the offseason as the top right guard and ended the offseason that way. So maybe he does have that position locked down.
Are there any guards you'd be willing to part with?