"Andy Reid loves the big fellas, and Erving fits a need," Mayock writes. "He is the best center in the draft and upgrades the whole line."
This piece on Erving from our own stagdsp is a terrific look at how he could fit with the Chiefs.
Reid does love the big fellas, which is why you can never rule out an offensive or defensive linemen for the Chiefs. Even though Reid isn't the GM in Kansas City, he has picked big guys in the first round of the draft nine times. Everyone in the NFL is athletic but not everyone is 300-plus pounds and athletic.
Erving comes in as a relatively safe pick. As Mayock writes, Erving has been called the best center in the draft for quite some times. The other plus is that he has plenty of experience playing left tackle and we know Reid actually does play the best five on his offensive line (minus the whole Donald Stephenson thing, which still makes no sense).
The rest of Mayock's mock draft:
- Four WRs are off the board (DeVante Parker and Breshad Perriman being the third and fourth) by the time the Chiefs pick.
- The top two CBs -- Trae Waynes and Kevin Johnson -- are off the board.
- The RBs go one pick ahead of the Chiefs (Todd Gurley) and one pick after (Melvin Gordon). The Chiefs are rumored to have interest in a running back.
- OT Andrus Peat is going No. 23. Others have him in the top 10.
- CB Marcus Peters goes to the Ravens, which seems like a great fit based on this.
- Dorial Green-Beckham goes No. 31 to the Saints. He would catch a lot of balls there.