Second round mock drafts are silly. So are NFL Draft grades. But many people are interested in reading them anyway.
The Kansas City Chiefs do not have a second round pick after giving it up in the Alex Smith trade. That trade was contingent on the Chiefs winning eight or more games, which they dod, so the pick becomes a second round pick. If they won less than eight, it would have been a third round pick.
So they're going to be waiting for a while tonight as the Chiefs first pick of day two, No. 87, comes up in the third round.
The Chiefs No. 56 pick in the second round was traded to the San Francisco 49ers so I figured we'd take a look at what the KC Chiefs are missing out on without a second round pick.
See the first round NFL Draft grades and the best available players. Second round mocks linked below.
2nd-round predictions - SBNation.com
56. San Francisco 49ers - Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
PFT’s Round Two Mock Draft | ProFootballTalk
56. San Francisco 49ers (from Kansas City): USC center Marcus Martin.
Round 2 NFL mock draft - USA Today
56. San Francisco 49ers from Kansas City Chiefs - Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado: His 6-foot, 175-pound build isn't ideal, but his blazing speed could do for the Niners what DeSean Jackson used to do for Philadelphia — open up the field. Richardson should be able to track down strong-armed QB Colin Kaepernick's deepest shots while making TE Vernon Davis and WRs Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree even more effective underneath.
2014 NFL Mock Draft Round 2 - Don Banks - SI.com
56. San Francisco 49ers (via Kansas City) -- Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State A receiver like Fresno State's Davante Adams could get the nod, but with the first of their two second-round picks the 49ers would be wiser to look for defensive end Justin Smith's eventual replacement.
Peter Schrager's seven-round mock extravaganza | FOX Sports
56. San Francisco 49ers: Joel Bitonio, OG, Nevada
87. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Projecting Round 2 of 2014 NFL Draft - NFL.com
56. San Francisco 49ers: Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss, WR The 49ers desperately need to add a speed receiver to the mix. Moncrief is a size-speed athlete with unbelievable potential.
2nd round mock draft: Bleacher Report
Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman The Chiefs surely didn't expect to lose both of their free-agent starting guards, Jon Asamoah and Geoff Schwartz, in the offseason. Dozier is raw and untested, but at the bottom of the third round, his potential is worth exploring.
Round Two Mock Draft | NEPatriotsDraft.com
56. San Francisco 49ers (via KC) - Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State San Francisco is in great position heading into day two of the draft and with 5 selections it’s likely they make a move up the draft board. They need to add a receiver at some point and Adams is one of the best remaining.
Second-round mock draft - CBSSports.com (Rob Rang)
56. San Francisco 49ers -- Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice: Few gamble on athletes like Baalke and Gaines is both fast and physical.
Second-round mock draft - CBSSports.com (Dane Brugler)
56. San Francisco 49ers -- Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota State: San Francisco loves mean, nasty linemen up front and Turner can be groomed to be an eventual starter.
Chiefs 2014 draft picks
Round 1 (23) - Auburn DE/LB Dee Ford
Round 2 (No pick - gave up in Alex Smith trade)
Round 3 (87)
Round 4 (124)
Round 5 (163)
Round 6 (193 - received in Edgar Jones trade)
Round 6 (200)
Round 7 (No pick - gave up in Edgar Jones trade)