As the Kansas City Chiefs prepare for the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, they're likely planning for the tremendous talents of one familiar face in the secondary: Brandon Carr. The former Chiefs cornerback bolted for the big money in Dallas in 2012, and now the Chiefs must deal with his coverage skills in Week 2.
In addition, the Cowboys recently signed Brian Waters to bolster the interior offensive line. For now, the Chiefs must get past him to pressure Romo, but the faces returning to Arrowhead on Sunday are likely ones that will remembered very fondly for some time.
Here's the complete list of Chiefs-Cowboys connections, via the Chiefs PR staff.
• Kansas City Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung (1995) was on Jacksonville's roster as an offensive lineman while Cowboys Assistant Secondary Joe Baker (1995-98) served as assistant special teams coach.
• Chiefs Offensive Line Coach Andy Heck (2004-12) served in the same role in Jacksonville with Dallas LBs Justin Durant (2007-10) and Kyle Bosworth (2010-12), as well as DEs Landon Cohen (2010) and George Selvie (2011-12).
• Cowboys G Mackenzy Bernadeau (2008-11), DT Nick Hayden (2008-10), DE George Selvie (2011) and Kansas City OL Geoff Schwartz (2008-11) spent time together on Carolina's roster.
• Dallas QB Kyle Orton (2005-08), Defensive Line Coach Rod Marinelli (2009-12) and Quarterbacks Coach Wade Wilson (2004-06) all overlapped at various times in Chicago with Chiefs Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (2006-07), Director of Player Personnel Chris Ballard (2001-12) and Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub (2004-12). Marinelli served various roles including assistant head coach, defensive line coach and defensive coordinator while Wilson, O'Dea and Toub served in the same capacities. Ballard held the title of director of pro scouting after being promoted from southwest area scout.
• Three Cowboys coaches, Running Backs Coach Gary Brown (2009-12), Linebackers Coach Matt Eberflus (2009-10) and Secondary Coach Jerome Henderson (2009- 11), all served in the same roles in Cleveland along with Chiefs Spread Game Analyst/ Special Projects Coach Brad Childress (2012), Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken (1999-2009) and LB James-Michael Johnson (2012). MacCracken served the Browns as salary cap manager, director of football administration and legal counsel while Childress held the position of offensive coordinator.
• Dallas Assistant Secondary Coach Joe Baker spent his 2005 season at Green Bay as the secondary/safeties coach with Chiefs: General Manager John Dorsey (1991- 2012), Defensive Assistant/Secondary Coach Al Harris (2003-09), Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin (1995-2005) and Player Personnel Assistant Dan Zegers (2004-12). Dorsey served as director of college scouting, Harris was on the roster as a cornerback, Rubin held the same title and Zegers worked as a scouting/ equipment assistant.
• Kansas City CB Dunta Robinson (2004-09) and S Quintin Demps (2010-12) were on Houston's roster while Dallas Assistant Offensive Line Coach Frank Pollack (2007-11) was on the coaching staff in the same capacity.
• Cowboys Secondary Coach Jerome Henderson (1991-93, 1996) played cornerback for New England during which time Chiefs Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung (1992-94) was on the roster as an offensive lineman and Director of College Scouting Marvin Allen (1996-2008) was a part of the Patriots player personnel department. Allen and Dallas Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Woicik (2000- 10) were also in New England simultaneously.
• Dallas Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Brett Bech (2006), Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (2008-11) and Secondary Coach Jerome Henderson (2007-08) were part of the New York Jets organization with Chiefs DL Mike DeVito (2007-12), Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (2008-09) and Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton (2000-12) during his tenure as both Defensive Coordinator and Senior Defensive Assistant/Linebackers Coach. Bech and O'Dea held the same titles while Callahan coached the offensive line and Henderson was the defensive backs coach.
• Cowboys LB Earnie Sims spent his 2010 season in Philadelphia with members of the Chiefs: Head Coach Andy Reid (1999-2012), Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley (1999-2012), Offensive Coordinator Doug Pederson (2009-12), Tight Ends Coach Tom Melvin (1999-2012), Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung (2010-12), Quality Control Coach Corey Matthaei (2008-12), LB Akeem Jordan (2007-12), Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin (2008-12), Quarterbacks Coach Matt Nagy (2010-12), Pro and College Personnel Analyst Brett Veach (2007-12), Head Athletic Trainer Rick Burkholder (1999-2012), WR Chad Hall (2010-12), and Statistical Analysis Coordinator Mike Frazier (2003-12).
• Kansas City Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas (1995-98) served as Philadelphia's defensive coordinator while Dallas Assistant Special Teams Coach Chris Boniol (1997-98), Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (1995-97) and Secondary Coach Jerome Henderson were on the roster. Boniol was listed as a kicker, Callahan as an offensive lineman and Henderson played cornerback.
• Chiefs WR Donnie Avery (2008-10) was teammates with Cowboys DE George Selvie (2010) for one season in St. Louis.
• Dallas Special Teams Coordinator Rich Bisaccia (2002-10), S Will Allen (2004- 09), Defensive Coordinator Monte Kiffin (1996-2008) and Defensive Line Coach Rod Marinelli (1996-2005) spent time in Tampa Bay with Chiefs Assistant Director of College Scouting Dom Green (2006-08), Defensive Assistant/Secondary Coach Al Harris (1997) and Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (1996-2001). Bisaccia served in the same capacity as well as holding the title of associate head coach and running backs coach while Kiffin and Marinelli held the same positions.
Green was part of the scouting department, Harris was on the roster as a cornerback and O'Dea held the role of an offensive/defensive assistant.
• Chiefs TE Anthony Fasano was on the Cowboys roster from 2006-07.
• Kansas City LBs Coach Gary Gibbs held the same title in Dallas from 2002-05.
• Dallas CB Brandon Carr was part of the Chiefs organization from 2008-11.
• Cowboys QB Kyle Orton spent the 2011 season on the Kansas City roster.
• Cowboys G Brian Waters played 11 seasons in Kansas City (2000-10).
• Cowboys Owner, President and General Manager Jerry Jones (1961-64) spent his collegiate years as an offensive lineman on Arkansas' roster while Chiefs Defensive Line Coach Tommy Brasher (1962-63) was on the team as a linebacker.
• Kansas City DT Anthony Toribio (2003-07) was on Carson-Newman's roster with Cowboys P Chris Jones (2007-10) for one season.
• Chiefs C Rodney Hudson spent 2007-10 at Florida State with Cowboys Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kendall Smith while he played linebacker.
• Dallas Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (1980-86) was an assistant at Illinois while Chiefs Spread Game Analyst/Special Projects Coach Brad Childress (1978-84) served as a grad assistant, running backs coach and wide receivers coach.
• Cowboys Wide Receivers Coach Derek Dooley (2000-04) spent time as a tight ends coach, running backs coach and special teams coach at LSU while Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe (2003-06) and DE Tyson Jackson (2004-08) were on the roster. Kansas City Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs spent the 2000 season with Dooley as LSU's defensive coordinator. Bowe and Jackson were also teammates at Louisiana State with Dallas CB Morris Claiborne (2008-11) and S Danny McCray (2006-09).
• Kansas City DL Dontari Poe and Dallas G Ronald Leary were college teammates from 2008-11 at Memphis.
• Cowboys T Jermey Parnell (2005-08) played at Mississippi with Chiefs WR Dexter McCluster (2006-09) and S Kendrick Lewis (2006-09).
• Dallas Linebackers Coach Matt Eberflus (2001-08) served in a variety of roles including defensive coordinator/defensive backs, associate head coach and defensive coordinator/safeties coach at Missouri's during the time when Chiefs QB Chase Daniel (2006-09) was on the roster.
• Cowboys Defensive Coordinator Monte Kiffin (1980-82) served as North Carolina State's head coach while Kansas City Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton (1982) was on the staff as running backs coach.
• Kansas City Head Coach Andy Reid (1986), Tight Ends Coach Tom Melvin (1986- 87) and Spread Game Analyst/Special Projects Coach Brad Childress (1986-89) were on Northern Arizona's coaching staff while Cowboys Offensive Coordinator/ Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (1985-88) and Assistant Offensive Line Coach Frank Pollack (1985-89) were on the roster. Reid's title was offensive line coach, Childress was offensive coordinator while Melvin coached running backs, offensive line and tight ends. Callahan was on the roster as an offensive lineman and Pollack was listed as an offensive tackle/guard.
• Chiefs OL Donald Stephenson (2008-11) was on Oklahoma's roster with Dallas TE James Hanna (2008-11) and RB DeMarco Murray (2007-10).
• Dallas T Darrion Weems (2008-11) and Kansas City OL Geoff Schwartz (2005-08) were teammates at Oregon.
• Kansas City CB Marcus Cooper (2008-11) played for Rutgers while Cowboys Running Backs Coach Gary Brown (2008) served in the same role.
• Chiefs Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub (1980-81) was on Springfield's roster as an offensive lineman while Dallas Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Woicik (1978-80) was serving as weight room coordinator.
• Cowboys TE Jason Witten (1999-2002) and Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt (2000-04) played together at Tennessee.
• Dallas Wide Receivers Coach Derek Dooley (2010-12) served as head coach and Defensive Coordinator Monte Kiffin (2009) held the same title for Tennessee while Chiefs QB Tyler Bray (2010-12) and S Eric Berry (2007-09) were on the roster.
• Kansas City RB Cyrus Gray and Cowboys DT Ben Bass were teammates at Texas A&M from 2008-11.
• Cowboys Wide Receivers Coach Derek Dooley (1987-90) was on Virginia's roster as a wide receiver while Chiefs Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (1989- 90) was a grad assistant.
• Dallas TE Andre Smith (2007-10) and Chiefs CB Brandon Flowers (2004-07) played together collegiately at Virginia Tech.
• Chiefs Spread Game Analyst/Special Projects Coach Brad Childress (1991-98) was on Wisconsin's coaching staff as running backs/quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator while Cowboys Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (1990-94) was on the roster as an offensive lineman.
Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
• Chiefs Assistant Director of Pro Scouting Mike Borgonzi's brother, Dave Borgonzi is Dallas' Offensive Assistant Coach.
• Chiefs Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea and Dallas Running Backs Coach Gary Brown are both natives of Williamsport, Pa.
• Dallas Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan and Chiefs OL Jeff Allen call Chicago their home.
• Kansas City CB Dunta Robinson and Cowboys Wide Receivers Coach Derek Dooley are both from Athens, Ga.
• Chiefs President Mark Donovan, Dallas LB Sean Lee and S Barry Church grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa.
• Houston, Texas, is the hometown of Cowboys S Danny McCray, Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips and Kansas City Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs.
• Dallas DE Kyle Wilber and Chiefs DT Jaye Howard are natives of Apopka, Fla.
• Cowboys LB Kyle Bosworth and Chiefs QB Chase Daniel are originally from Irving,Texas.
• Chiefs C Rodney Hudson and Dallas Defensive Assistant/Defensive Line Coach Leon Lett both list Mobile, Ala., as their hometown.
• Dallas G David Arkin played collegiately at Missouri State and is originally from Wichita, Kan., where he attended Mt. Carmel High School.
• Cowboys RB Joseph Randle grew up in Wichita, Kan., and attended Southest High School.
• Chiefs RB Cyrus Gray is a native of DeSoto, Texas, and attended DeSoto High School.
• Kansas City Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Travis Crittenden calls Graham, Texas, his home.
• Chiefs QB Chase Daniel is an alum of Southlake High School in Irving, Texas.
• Kansas City LB Derrick Johnson is a native of Waco, Texas, and graduated from
Waco High School.
• Dallas Linebackers Coach Matt Eberflus spent time on the coaching staff at Missouri as a defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach (2001-05) and as an associate head coach/defensive coordinator/safeties coach (2006-08).
• Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles (2005-07) and LB Derrick Johnson (2001-04) share the alma mater of University of Texas.
• Kansas City RB Cyrus Gray attended Texas A&M from 2008-11 and Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley coached the Aggie wide receivers from 1991-93.
• Chiefs Defensive Line Coach Tommy Brasher held the same position at Southern Methodist from 1977-81.
More from Arrowhead Pride:
- Should Chiefs be favored to beat the Cowboys? And more questions about KC after Week 1
- Kansas City Chiefs work out free agent guards, linebackers and defensive tackles
- Arrowheadlines: Kansas City Chiefs News 9/11
- Bradley McDougald is lone addition to Chiefs Week 2 depth chart
- Chiefs sign DT Jordan Miller to practice squad, release OL Matt Reynolds