Two biggest changes at Chiefs camp seen? 1. Tempo 2. Defensive fronts/scheme/looks? What say you?— Jinx (@JinxAllessio) August 6, 2013
Agreed on those two. They're two of the biggest ones that jump out at you at Kansas City Chiefs training camp, two that you can easily see. It's obviously a faster pace at camp than it was in previous years. You can notice that right away if you were around to compare it to others. I have only a Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel training camp to compare this, so, you know.
And as good of a defensive coordinator as Romeo Crennel was, he didn't have the wild formations that Bob Sutton has shown. It's fun to see in practice, spicing things up. Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson and Justin Houston all bunched up together. Five down linemen, one down lineman. Corner blitzes. LOTS of defensive backs. Chiefs players are saying things like this:
Derrick Johnson says he thinks it'll be him or Eric Berry to be 3rd on the team in sacks but says "everybody blitzes." #Chiefs— Danny Parkins (@DannyParkins) August 5, 2013
Justin Houston asked what he likes best about this defense: "You never know what's coming."— Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) August 5, 2013
Other things that are different:
- Lots of offensive formations, too. We talk about the defense above. Don't sell the offense short in terms of keeping you entertained via multiple formations. Option? Pistol? Receiver as a running back? Running back as a receiver? Tight ends everywhere? We've seen it all.
- Tackling. No tackling in Haley or Crennel camps except for some goal line periods. This is one of the biggest differences.
- Music. I wasn't out there today but AP user zbschiefs reports "Welcome to the Jungle" made another appearance on Monday. The rest of it was that hip hop music all those damn kids are listening to these days.
- Team work. It sure seems like Reid runs a lot more 11-on-11 type action, which is great news for the fans. That's easily the most entertaining and to me the most meaningful.
- Weather. The weather is MUCH nicer in an Andy Reid camp.
What stands out to you?
More from Arrowhead Pride:
- The Football Outsiders perspective: Jamaal Charles' catches, future of Chiefs o-line and more
- Chiefs training camp 2013: Staying healthy is the key in day 11 practice report
- Kansas City Chiefs mailbag: The underachieving Chiefs?
- KC Chiefs first depth chart: The surprises and the position battles
- Arrowheadlines: Kansas City Chiefs News 8/5