As the Kansas City Chiefs prepare to face the Green Bay Packers in the fourth and final game of the NFL preseason, it's time to take a look at the connections between the teams. While most weeks, there are several former players that have switched sides, this week there are a number of coaches and personnel who know familiar faces on the opposing team. From new general manager John Dorsey to head coach Andy Reid, the Packers have a lot of ties in this year's Chiefs team and vice versa.
Thanks to the Chiefs PR team for the list of Chiefs-Packers connections:
• Packers Executive Vice President, General Manager & Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson (2000-04) was the Vice President of Football Operations at Seattle while Kansas City Director of Pro Scouting Will Lewis (1999-2009) was the Director of Pro Personnel, among other roles.
• Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas (2000-01) held the title of Defensive Coordinator in Minnesota while Packers Vice President of Football Administration/ Player Finance Russ Ball (1999-2000) served as Senior Football Administrator.
• Kansas City Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (2006-08) spent time in New Orleans with Packers Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball (2002-07) during his tenure as Vice President of Football Administration.
• Green Bay Head Coach Mike McCarthy and Quarterbacks Coach Ben McAdoo spent their 2005 season in San Francisco during Kansas City QB Alex Smith's (2005- 12) first year as a 49er. McCarthy was Offensive Coordinator while McAdoo served as Assistant Offensive Line/Quality Control Coach.
• Chiefs Defensive Line Coach Tommy Brasher spent his 1990 season with Tampa Bay in the same role while Packers Assistant Head Coach/Inside Linebackers Coach Winston Moss (1987-90) played linebacker. Brasher (1992-98) and Moss (1995-98) also overlapped at Seattle while Brasher held the same role and Moss was both a linebacker and then a Defensive Quality Control Coach.
• Kansas City Head Athletic Trainer Rick Burkholder (1993-98) and Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley (1996-98) spent time in Pittsburgh with several Packers: Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers (1992-94) served in the same capacity, Outside Linebackers Coach Kevin Greene (1993-95) was on the Steelers roster as a linebacker/defensive end and Secondary/Safeties Coach Darren Perry (1992-98) played safety. Burkholder was on staff as Assistant Athletic Trainer and Culley served as Wide Receivers Coach.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers (2001-05) served as Houston's Head Coach while Kansas City CB Dunta Robinson (2004-09) was on the roster.
• Chiefs Director of College Scouting Marvin Allen (1996-2008) spent time in New England with Green Bay Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers (2008) during his time as Special Assistant/Secondary Coach.
• Packers Tight Ends Coach Jerry Fontenot (1989-96) was on Chicago's roster as a center while Chiefs Offensive Line Coach Andy Heck (1994-98) played as a tackle.
• Green Bay Special Teams Assistant Chad Morton (2001-02) was on the New York Jets roster as a running back while Chiefs Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton (2000- 12) served as Linebackers Coach. Packers TE Matthew Mulligan (2009-11) was on the Jets roster while Sutton was on the coaching staff with Chiefs Assistant Special Teams Coordinator Kevin O'Dea (2008-09). Kansas City DL Marcus Dixon (2010-12) and DL Mike DeVito (2007-12) were both on the New York roster as well.
• Kansas City Offensive Line Coach Andy Heck (1999-2000) was on Washington's roster as a tackle while Green Bay Defensive Line Coach Mike Trgovac (2000-01) served in the same role.
• Chiefs OL Geoff Schwartz (2008-11) was on Carolina's roster while Packers Defensive Line Coach Mike Trgovac (2003-08) served as Defensive Coordinator.
• Packers Running Backs Coach Alex Van Pelt (2010-11) served as Quarterbacks Coach in Tampa Bay while Kansas City LB Zac Diles (2011) was on the roster.
• Kansas City Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09) spent the 2007 season in Atlanta as a Defensive Backs Coach/Interim Head Coach with Packers Secondary/Cornerbacks Coach Joe Whitt Jr.
• Chiefs DL Austen Lane (2010-12) spent time in Jacksonville with Packers RB DuJuan Harris (2011).
• Green Bay T Kevin Hughes spent the 2011 season on St. Louis' roster with Kansas City Assistant Secondary Al Harris during his time as a cornerback.
• Packers TE Matthew Mulligan and Kansas City OL Rokevious Watkins both spent their 2012 season in St. Louis.
• Green Bay QB Vince Young (2011) spent his time in Philadelphia with members of the Chiefs: Head Coach Andy Reid (1999-2012), Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley (1999-2012), Offensive Coordinator Doug Pederson (2009-12), Tight Ends Coach Tom Melvin (1999-2012), Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung (2010-12), Quality Control Coach Corey Matthaei (2008- 12), LB Akeem Jordan (2007-12), Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin (2008-12), Quarterbacks Coach Matt Nagy (2010-12) and Statistical Analysis Coordinator Mike Frazier (2003-12).
• Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid served as the Packers Tight Ends and Offensive Line Coach from 1992-96 and held the position of Quarterbacks Coach from 1997-98.
• Kansas City General Manager John Dorsey has spent a total of 27 years with the Packers organization. Dorsey played linebacker from 1984-88, was a College Scout (1991-96), held the title of Director of College Scouting (1997-98, 2000-11) and served in the role of Director of Football Operations (2012).
• Chiefs LB Frank Zombo played in Green Bay from 2010-12 and was part of the 2010 Super Bowl team.
• Kansas City Assistant Secondary Coach Al Harris played cornerback for the Packers from 2003-09.
• Chiefs DT Anthony Toribio was on the Green Bay roster for the 2008-09 seasons. • Kansas City Offensive Coordinator Doug Pederson played quarterback for Green
Bay from 1996-98 and again from 2001-04.
• Chiefs Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin was part of the Packers coaching staff as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (1995-98) and as Strength and Conditioning Coach (1999-2005).
• Kansas City Director of Pro Scouting Will Lewis was a Pro Scout in Green Bay for the 1997 season.
• Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas spent the 1999 season as Defensive Coordinator for Green Bay.
• Green Bay Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball (1989-98) spent 10 seasons with Kansas City, serving first as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach and later as Administrative Assistant to Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer.
• Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy spent 1993-98 in Kansas City, first as an Offensive Assistant/Quality Control Coach (1993-94) and then as a Quarterbacks Coach (1995-98).
• Green Bay Offensive Coordinator Tom Clements spent the 2000 season as Kansas City's Quarterbacks Coach.
• Green Bay T Bryan Bulaga (2007-09), DE Mike Daniels (2008-11) and CB Micah Hyde (2009-12) spent their collegiate years at Iowa with Chiefs QB TE Tony Moeaki (2005-09) and S Greg Castillo (2008-12). Kansas City Quality Control Coach Mark DeLeone (2007-08) also served as a Student Assistant for the Hawkeyes.
• Chiefs LB/DB Ridge Wilson and Packers WR Randall Cobb spent 2008-10 playing for Kentucky.
• Packers K Mason Crosby (2003-06), T David Bakhtiari (2009-12) and LB Brad Jones (2005-08) spent time at Colorado with Kansas City CB Jalil Brown (2006-09) and Running Backs Coach Eric Bieneimy (2011-12) during his tenure as Running Backs Coach/Offensive Coordinator.
• Kansas City RB Jamaal Charles (2005-07), LB Derrick Johnson (2001-04), Green Bay TE Jermichael Finley (2006-07) and QB Vince Young (2002-05) all played collegiately for Texas. Charles and Young were part of the BCS National Championship team in 2005.
• Chiefs Assistant Director of Pro Scouting Mike Borgonzi (2007-08) held the position of Scouting Administrator at Boston College while Green Bay LB Robert Francois (2005-08) and DT BJ Raji (2004-08) were on the roster. Kansas City College Scouting Administrator Ryan Poles (2008-09) was also part of the Eagles scouting staff as a Recruiting Assistant.
• Packers Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball (1982- 89) served as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach at Missouri while Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid (1989-91) and Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub (1989-2000) were part of the coaching staff. Reid held the title of Offensive Line Coach while Toub was part of the strength and conditioning staff and coached the defensive line.
• Green Bay Head Coach Mike McCarthy (1989-92), Special Teams Coordinator Shawn Slocum (1990) and Chiefs Head Athletic Trainer Rick Burkholder (1990-92) were on staff together in Pittsburgh. McCarthy served as Quarterbacks Coach, Slocum was a GA and Burkholder held the same position. Also, Packers Running Backs Coach Alex Van Pelt (1989-92) was a four-year starter as a Panther during this time.
• Kansas City Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley and Packers Special Teams Coordinator Shawn Slocum spent their 1991-93 seasons at Texas A&M. Culley was Wide Receivers Coach while Slocum served as Special Teams/Tight Ends Coach.
• Green Bay TE Matthew Mulligan (2004-07) played collegiately with Chiefs DL Mike DeVito (2002-07) at Maine.
• Packers WR Jordy Nelson (2004-07), RB Angelo Pease (2010-12), Kansas City LB Zac Diles (2005-06) and DB Tysyn Hartman (2008-12) were all members of the Kansas State Wildcats football team.
• Kansas City DL Allen Bailey (2007-10) and Packers CB Sam Shields (2006-09) both played for Miami (FL).
• Packers OL Josh Sitton (2004-08) and Chiefs WR Jamar Newsome (2006-10) were teammates at Central Florida.
• Kansas City RB Shaun Draughn (2007-10) played collegiately at North Carolina with Packers TE Ryan Taylor (2006-10).
• Green Bay TE D.J. Williams (2007-10) and Chiefs RB Knile Davis (2009-12) were on the Arkansas roster simultaneously.
• Chiefs T Steven Baker (2007-12) and Packers DE C.J. Wilson (2006-09) were part of the East Carolina football squad.
• Kansas City LB Nico Johnson (2008-12) played at Alabama with Green Bay RB Eddie Lacy (2010-12). They were both part of the Crimson Tide's BCS National Championship teams in 2011 and 2012.
• Packers WR Kevin Dorsey and Kansas City LB Darin Drakeford spent their 2008- 12 seasons at Maryland.
• Packers G Lane Taylor (2009-12) and Kansas City LB Orie Lemon (2006-09) overlapped for one season at Oklahoma State.
• Green Bay DT Gilbert Pena (2009-12) played collegiately at Mississippi with Chiefs WR Dexter McCluster (2006-09), DL Jerrell Powe (2008-10) and S Kendrick Lewis (2006-09).
• Kansas City OL Eric Kush (2008-12) and Green Bay CB James Nixon (2011) were teammates at California (Pa.).
• Chiefs Quality Control Coaches Britt Reid (2008-12) and Mark DeLeone (2011) were Graduate Assistants during Packers CB James Nixon's (2008-10) time on the Temple roster.
• Packers T Andrew Datko (2008-11) and C Rodney Hudson (2007-10) were on the Florida State roster simultaneously.
• Kansas City WR Frankie Hammond Jr. and Packers WR Omarius Hines spent 2008-12 playing at Florida together.
• Chiefs Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs, LB Orie Lemon, Packers LB Robert Francois, DT Johnny Jolly and QB Vince Young all call Houston, Texas their hometown.
• Packers Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball is a native of Moberly, Mo. and attended Central Missouri for his undergraduate work and Missouri to earn his master's degree in Human Performance.
• Green Bay Head Coach Mike McCarthy, Running Backs Coach Alex Van Pelt, P Tim Mastay and Chiefs President Mark Donovan share the hometown of Pittsburgh, Pa.
• Packers Assistant Head Coach/Inside Linebackers Coach Winston Moss and LB Jamari Lattimore are natives of Miami, Fla. with Chiefs: WR Dwayne Bowe, CB Kennard Cox and DT Anthony Toribio.
• Kansas City WR A.J. Jenkins, Green Bay Wide Receivers Coach Edgar Bennett, OL Josh Sitton and LB Sam Barrington are all natives of Jacksonville, Fla. Jenkins (2004-07) and Barrington (2005-08) both attended Terry Parker High School in Jacksonville and were teammates for three years.
• Packers WR Jordy Nelson was raised in Manhattan, Kan. and attended Kansas State from 2004-07.
• Green Bay RB Angelo Pease played collegiately at Kansas State from 2010-12.
• Packers RB Johnathan Franklin, Kansas City Head Coach Andy Reid and OL
Geoff Schwartz call Los Angeles their hometown.
• Chiefs OL Jeff Allen and Packers LB Nate Palmer hail from Chicago.
• Kansas City S Bradley McDougald and Green Bay TE Jake Stoneburner share the hometown of Columbus, Ohio.