Mardy Gilyard is the first one to fall in the Kansas City Chiefs 2013 training camp. The 5'11 receiver, signed by the Chiefs in February, has been released.
#Chiefs have released WR Mardy Gilyard. Previously played for Rams, Eagles, Jets— Adam Teicher (@adamteicher) July 25, 2013
Gilyard played under Andy Reid and the Philadelphia Eagles last season and because of that he was somewhat intriguing. But he's also been on five teams in the last three years. From that perspective it's no surprise he was near the top of the cut list. The Chiefs will cut down to 53 players by August 31.
The Chiefs veteran players arrived on campus at Missouri Western State University for the first camp practice on Friday afternoon.
Of note: The Chiefs now have an open roster spot. I believe Eric Fisher, even though he's still unsigned at this moment, is already accounted for so it's not necessarily making room for him.
More from Arrowhead Pride:
- Chiefs training camp: Andy Reid knows Dexter McCluster's history
- KC Chiefs training camp 2013: Updates and open thread 7/25
- These are the 90 players coming to KC Chiefs training camp today
- Arrowheadlines: Kansas City Chiefs News 7/25
- Chiefs training camp 2013: Veterans will make their arrival in St. Joe