You're up, Russ Lande:
1. Kansas City Chiefs: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida, Junior: The Chiefs acquired their quarterback by trading for Alex Smith and now the smart thing to do would be for them to re-sign left tackle Brandon Albert. Then they can use the first overall pick on Sharrif Floyd who can immediately upgrade the Chiefs defensive line.
I have six things to say about this:
1. No way this is the pick if Albert isn't re-signed, right?
2. Wasn't that long ago that Star Lotulelei would've been the top defensive tackle.
3. This would be the KC Chiefs FOURTH defensive tackle picked in the top 11 and third in the top five since 2008.
4. Two of those top five picks, Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson, could be on their way out. Dorsey, the 2008 fifth overall pick, will almost assuredly hit free agency on March 12. Tyson, the third overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, will almost assuredly have to restructure to stay. Or else he could be gone, too.
5. The other defensive tackle picked that high in the last five years is Dontari Poe, last year's 11th overall pick.
6. Jason's reaction at Bleeding Green Nation, our Eagles blog:
Lande's big surprise is at the top where he's got the Chiefs grabbing DT Sharrif Floyd. In nearly every mock draft we've seen, KC is taking either a QB or Luke Joeckel. However, with Alex Smith now in Arrowhead and LT Branden Albert potentially re-signing, the door could be open for Andy Reid to address defense with the top pick. And us Eagles fans know how he loves taking DTs high, he took one with his top pick 5 times with the Eagles.
D-Bowe vs. Albert franchise tag decision coming by Monday
Check out this 26-minute video of Alex Smith
The truth about Alex Smith: A Niners fan's perspective