It's not looking good for Glenn Dorsey coming back to the Kansas City Chiefs. Mike DeVito, former New York Jets defensive lineman, did agree to terms with the Chiefs on a free agent contract, according to Adam Teicher of the KC Star. And now CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora has details of DeVito's deal.
Per La Canfora, the three-year contract is worth over $12 million. It will pay him over $5 million in 2013, according to the report.
I see two big things here:
1. DeVito isn't being paid like someone who might be cut in training camp. The Chiefs are making a clear commitment to him. He is going to play next season. I would guess Jets defensive coordinator Bob Sutton had a part in DeVito getting this deal. But that commitment comes at a price...
2. Glenn Dorsey isn't walking through that door (probably not). Was there ever real interest between both sides to get a deal done? I don't know. But it sure doesn't look like Dorsey will be back. We can debate whether that ever had a good chance of happening or not.
I need to get to know DeVito more.
Mike DeVito lined up inside on 60% of his snaps last season. Was an End in the 3-4 on the other 40%.#Chiefs #Jets— Mike Clay (@MikeClayNFL) March 12, 2013
#Chiefs fans, Mike DeVito and Glenn Dorsey are basically the same player. Good run defenders who will off little in pass rush.— Mark Lindberg (@MarkJL07) March 12, 2013
DeVito is a major upgrade at defensive end over Glenn Dorsey. One of the best 3-4 defensive ends in the league. #GoodMove— Bryce Siebeneck (@BryceSiebeneck) March 12, 2013
DeVito is no fun to play against-and should be great influence on Poe#Chiefs— Matt Williamson (@WilliamsonNFL) March 12, 2013
Just jumping in after two hours off twitter but looks like Devito took Glenn Dorsey's deal. Alright then. #Chiefs— BJ Kissel (@bkissel7) March 12, 2013
The latest free agency news:
Chase Daniel signs 3-year deal with Chiefs
Glenn Dorsey visiting the 49ers
Alex Smith trade is now official
Former Jets defensive lineman visiting KC
Rumors link Cassel to the Vikings