Another week in the books, and another win for the Kansas City Chiefs.
The Chiefs climbed to 8-0 this past Sunday with a 23-17 win over the Cleveland Browns, running their undefeated streak to the halfway point of the regular season. Still, there are plenty of folks around the country who believe the Chiefs are going to fold like a cheap suit in the rain when they face stiffer competition. We shall soon find out.
In the meantime, here are the power rankings from our guys after half the season:
|Teams||Matt Conner||Matt Verderame||MNChiefsFan||Average|
|Kansas City Chiefs||2||1||1||1.3|
|New Orleans Saints||3||2||2||2.3|
|San Francisco 49ers||1||6||8||5.0|
|Green Bay Packers||8||7||6||7.0|
|New England Patriots||9||9||9||9.0|
|San Diego Chargers||13||12||13||12.6|
|New York Jets||25||23||22||23.3|
|New York Giants||26||26||28||26.6|
|St. Louis Rams||28||27||29||28.0|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||31||31||31||31.0|
Around the nation
4. The Chiefs roll on, unbeaten and untied, but not invulnerable. Forcing zero turnovers against Case Keenum and Jason Campbell meant two dogfights against teams that have gotten smoked by other contenders. Abandoning the run makes Andy Reid warm and satisfied inside in a way that Kansas City BBQ can't hope to match, and if he pulls that act against league's elite defenses then Rear Admiral Checkdown will be hard-pressed to get it done.
1. The Browns gave them all they had, but it wasn't enough. This defense is allowing 98 points in 8 games. That’s really good.
Blogging The Boys
1: They are the first team to go from the worst record to 8-0 the next season. Can they beat the Broncos? We won't know until the two teams match up, but they sit atop the league for now.
Behind The Steel Curtain
1. Alex Smith the last time the Chiefs were this good (Seen here playing Oregon Trail and jamming to the Quad City DJs). Click link to understand.
Revenge Of The Birds
1. Still undefeated. What can be said about Alex Smith and company? They are winning week in and out.
Big Blue View
4. This Chiefs defense is nasty, but when they match up with the AFC elite, I worry that the offense won't be able to keep pace.
Bleeding Green Nation
1. Undefeated but not unbeatable. CLE kept it close.
Mile High Report
8. This team is barely beating the worst teams in football and I'm supposed to be scared? I'm supposed to rank them number 1? Pfft. The Chiefs are not scary in the least. They should be the one's who are afraid. I'll take 43 points per game over a strong defense. Why? Because all Peyton Manning has to do to beat the limited Chiefs is score three touchdowns. Yeah, I'll take 3 scores. After all, they put up 30 points a quarter more often than the Chiefs do in a freaking game.
Matt Verderame: Talk is cheap. See you Week 11.
CBS Sports (Pete Prisco)
1. Eight teams that opened the season 8-0 went on to win the Super Bowl. Can this be another? Doubt it.
CBS Sports (Pat Kirwan)
1. The Chiefs keep on winning, but some would say the backup quarterbacks they have faced in the last two weeks (Case Keenum and Jason Campbell) take away from their 8-0 record. A game next week against a Rams backup QB is a factor. The defense is good no matter who they play.
1. Andy Reid could be taking this career rebirth thing a little too far. (Click link to understand)