Connections returns this week for Saturday's preseason game between the Kansas City Chiefs and St. Louis Rams. The NFL is a small world so there are always a lot of connections between teams. This week there are a number of New England connections, the Chiefs special teams coordinator who served in the same role in St. Louis the last three seasons and our old friend Justin Cole.
Oh, and the one we all definitely remember, Barry Richardson.
Courtesy of the Chiefs game release, here are all of this week's connections:
- St. Louis Assistant Offensive Line Coach Andy Dickerson spent two seasons (2004-05) in New England along with Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, Assistant GM Joel Collier, Head Coach Romeo Crennel, Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll, National Scout Jim Nagy, Regional Scout Kyle O'Brien, Area Scout Jay Muraco and QB Matt Cassel.
- Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher was the Head Coach for Chiefs Area Scout Willie Davis (1996-98) and DL Amon Gordon with the Oilers and Titans. Fisher also spent time in Philadelphia with Chiefs Head Athletic Trainer David Price (1986-90).
- Chiefs Special Teams Coach Tom McMahon was the Special Teams Coordinator for the Rams the last three seasons (2009-11)
- Kansas City Special Teams Quality Control Coach Derius Swinton held the same role with the Rams for the last three seasons (2009-11).
- Chiefs DB Mikail Baker played for St. Louis (2011).
- Rams T Barry Richardson played for Kansas City (2008-11), including starts in all 16 games at RT in each of the last two seasons.
- Rams LB Justin Cole was a member of the Chiefs practice squad (2010-11).
- Rams QBs coach Frank Cignetti was a Quality Control Assistant with the Chiefs (1999).
- St. Louis Assistant Strength Coach Adam Bailey held the same role for the New Orleans Saints when Chiefs LBs coach Gary Gibbs (2006-08) and Defensive Assistant/Assistant LBs coach Adam Zimmer (2006-09) were on the coaching staff.
- Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll was the position coach for Rams QB Kellen Clemens with the New York Jets (2007-08). Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer held the same role for the Jets during Daboll's tenure in New York. Chiefs S Abram Elam (2007-08) and DE Ropati Pitoitua (2009-10) were also on the Jets roster with Clemens.
- Chiefs QB Brady Quinn (2010-11) and RB Peyton Hillis (2008-09) spent time in Denver with Rams LB Mario Haggan (2008-11).
- Rams WR Steve Smith spent time with the New York Giants with Chiefs TE Kevin Boss (2007-10) and Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell Jr. (2009-10).
- Kansas City Assistant Head Coach Maurice Carthon is the father of St. Louis Director of Pro Personnel Ran Carthon.
- Rams QBs coach Frank Cignetti was the Offensive Coordinator at Pittsburgh during Chiefs WR Jon Baldwin’s ﬁnal collegiate season (2009) when he was a ﬁrst-team All-Big East selection.
- Kansas City T Branden Albert and St. Louis DE Chris Long were teammates at Virginia (2005-07).
- Chiefs QB Matt Cassel spent the 2004 season at USC with Rams WR Steve Smith. During Cassel’s freshman season (2000), Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was coaching the USC tight ends.
- Chiefs G Jon Asamoah was a teammate of Rams TE Michael Hoomanawanui (2006-09) and FB Brit Miller (2006-08) at Illinois.
- Chiefs QB Ricky Stanzi and TE Tony Moeaki were teammates of Rams CB Bradley Fletcher at Iowa (2006-08).
- Rams QB Sam Bradford and TE Brody Eldridge played two years (2008-09) at Oklahoma with Chiefs OL Donald Stephenson.
- Chiefs Special Teams Quality Control Coach Derius Swinton played at Hampton with Rams DE Kandall Langford (2004-06).
- Rams Assistant Special Teams Coach Paul F. Boudreau coached at Central Connecticut State (2007) while Chiefs OL Rich Ranglin and Area Scout Ryne Nutt were with the Blue Devils
- Chiefs DBs coach Emmitt Thomas coached TEs/WRs for the St. Louis Cardinals for ﬁve seasons (1981-85).
- Rams Owner/Vice Chairman E. Stanley Kroenke earned three degrees from Missouri (B.A., B.S., M.B.A.).
- St. Louis Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is the son of former Chiefs Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer (1989-98) and was an Offensive Assistant with the Chiefs (1998). He was a state champion QB at Blue Valley High School in Stillwell, Kan., and played at Kansas for one year (1992).
- Rams Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnis coached DEs/LBs at Kansas State (1983-85) and was a DBs coach (1976-77) and graduate assistant at Missouri (1975).
- Rams Assistant Strength Coach Adam Bailey was a graduate assistant at Missouri (2002-03).
- St. Louis WR Danario Alexander played at Missouri (2006-09), where he led the nation with 1,781 receiving yards as a senior.
- Kansas City LB Edgar Jones played at Southeast Missouri (2003-06), where he earned ﬁ rst-team All-American honors as a senior DE.
- St. Louis TE Brody Eldridge is a native of La Cygne, Kan., where he was an All-State DE at Prairie View High School.
- St. Louis C Tim Barnes is a native of Longwood, Mo., and played at Missouri (2006-10).
- Rams K Greg Zuerlein was a record-setting kicker at Missouri Western (2011), converting 21 consecutive ﬁ eld goal attempts in 2011 to set an NCAA Division II record.