This week's KC Chiefs connections is headlined by Josh Freeman, who went to Grandview High School. First round QB, growing up right down the road from the Chiefs.
The Bucs GM, Mark Dominik, spent some time with the Chiefs. And we'll see your boy Jimmy Raye, a senior offensive assistant in Tampa.
There are a lot of other notable connections including someone else who is a native of Largo, Fla. like Dexter McCluster, and an old kicker friend of ours. Check them all out below, courtesy of the Chiefs game release.
- Tampa Bay General Manager Mark Dominik spent a year-and-a-half in the Chiefs college and pro personnel departments.
- Buccaneers Senior Offensive Assistant Jimmy Raye coached in Kansas City for nine seasons (1992-2000).
- Tampa Bay K Connor Barth originally entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Chiefs in 2008. Barth played in 10 games for the Chiefs in 2008, converting 10 of 12 ﬁeld goals (83.3 pct.) and all 24 PATs to account for 54 points.
- Buccaneers College Scout Bill Rees was a scout for Kansas City for four years (1994-97).
- Kansas City Quarterbacks Coach Jim Zorn played quarterback for the Buccaneers in 1987. He started and played in just one game for Tampa Bay, leading the Bucs to a 20-10 victory over the Minnesota Vikings on Oct.18, 1987.
- Chiefs Assistant General Manager Joel Collier was an offensive assistant for Tampa Bay in 1990.
- Chiefs Regional Scout Dom Green was a scout in Tampa Bay for three years (2006-08).
- Chiefs G Russ Hochstein played for the Buccaneers (2001-02).
- Chiefs Director of Video Operations Pat Brazil spent 15 seasons in Tampa Bay (1991-2005).
- Chiefs Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell Jr. spent the 2009-11 seasons with the New York Giants with Tampa Bay Offensive Coordinator Mike Sullivan and RB D.J. Ware.
- Tampa Bay Special Teams Coordinator Bob Ligashesky spent time in Denver with Kansas City QB Brady Quinn and G Russ Hochstein (2010).
- Buccaneers Senior Offensive Assitant Jimmy Raye (2005) and Special Teams Coordinator Bob Ligashesky (2011) spent time in Oakland with Chiefs CB Stanford Routt.
- Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll and S Abram Elam spent two seasons (2007-08) with the New York Jets with Bucaneers Senior Offensive Assistant Jimmy Raye and Defensive Front Seven Coach Bryan Cox.
- Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas was coaching with the Redskins while Buccaneers Running Backs Coach Earnest Byner was on Washington's roster (1989-93). Byner next played with the Browns in 1994-95 while Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli and Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant were in Cleveland. Byner, Pioli and Pleasant all relocated to Baltimore with the team and spent the 1996 season together with the Ravens.
- Tampa Bay Defensive Front Seven Coach Bryan Cox (1991-95) played in Miami with Chiefs Tight Ends Coach Bernie Parmalee (1992-98) and Assistant General Manager Joel Collier (1994-2004).
- Tampa Bay Defensive Front Seven Coach Bryan Cox and Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll spent the 2011 season together in Miami.
- Tampa Bay Defensive Front Seven Coach Bryan Cox played for the Jets for three seasons (1998-2000), and Chiefs Tight Ends Coach Bernie Parmalee played with him during two of those years (1999-2000). Several other Chiefs werein New York during Cox's time: General Manager Scott Pioli (1997-99), Head Coach Romeo Crennel (1997-99), Assistant Head Coach Maurice Carthon (1997-2000), Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant (1999-2000), Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith (1995-96, 1997-99) and Head Athletic TrainerDavid Price (1996-2005).
- Tampa Bay Defensive Front Seven Coach Bryan Cox played the 2001 seasonin New England while Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli, Head Coach Romeo Crennel, Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll, Defensive Line Coach AnthonyPleasant, Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith and Area Scout Jay Muraco were with the Patriots. Buccaneers Defensive Line Coach Randy Melvin held the same position in New England in 2001. Melvin also spent the 2000 season with Pioli, Daboll, Smith and Muraco.
- Tampa Bay Defensive Front Seven Coach Bryan Cox (2009-10), CB Brandon McDonald (2007-09) and CB Eric Wright (2007-10) and Defensive Line Coach Randy Melvin (2005-08) spent time in Cleveland with Chiefs Head Coach Romeo Crennel (2005-08), Assistant Head Coach Maurice Carthon (2005-06), Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll (2009-10), Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken (2009), S Abram Elam (2009-10), QB Brady Quinn (2007-09), DB Travis Daniels (2008) and RB Peyton Hillis (2010-11).
- Tampa Bay Offensive Assistant Ben McDaniels spent time in Denver (2009-10) with QB Brady Quinn (2010), RB Peyton Hillis (2009) and G Russ Hochstein (2009-10).
- Buccaneers Quarterbacks Coach Ron Turner spent the 2010-11 seasons in Indianapolis with Chiefs Offensive Quality Control Coach Jim Bob Cooter.
- Tampa Bay TE Dallas Clark (2003-11), QB Dan Orlovsky (2011) and DT Gary Gibson (2009-11) spent time in Indianapolis with Chiefs G Ryan Lilja (2004-09) and Offensive Quality Control Coach Jim Bob Cooter (2009-11).
- Chiefs LB Brandon Siler spent time in San Diego with Buccaneers WR Vincent Jackson (2007-10).
- Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09), Director of Pro Personnel Ray Farmer (2002-05) and Special Teams Coach Tom McMahon (2007-08) spent time in Atlanta with Buccaneers P Michael Koenen (2005-10).
- Kansas City Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell Jr. spent time with the New York Giants with Tampa Bay T Jamon Meredith (2010).
- Tampa Bay G Carl Nicks (2008-11) spent time in New Orleans with Chiefs Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (2006-08), Defensive Assistant/Assistant Linebackers Coach Adam Zimmer (2006-09) and WR Terrance Copper (2006-08).
- Kansas City T Eric Winston spent the 2009-10 seasons in Houston with Tampa Bay QB Dan Orlovsky.
- Chiefs WR Steve Breaston was in Arizona with Buccaneers CB Brandon McDonald (2010).
- Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll spent two seasons (1998-99) coaching at Michigan State with Buccaneers Defensive Coordinator BillSheridan.
- Chiefs WR Jon Baldwin was at Pittsburgh when Tampa Bay Tight Ends Coach Brian Angelichio and Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Jeff Haﬂey were coaching (2008-10).
- Chiefs Assistant Stregth and Conditioning Coach Brent Salazar spent the 2002-03 seasons at New Mexico with Bucaneers Offensive Line Coach Bob Bostad.
- Tampa Bay Defensive Backs Coach Ron Cooper coached at South Carolina while Kansas City K Ryan Succop played there (2005-08). Succop also spent time at South Carolina with Buccaneers T Jamon Meredith (2005-07).
- Chiefs Area Scout Jay Muraco spent time at Kent State with Buccaneers Offensive Assistant Ben McDaniels (1999-2000).
- Chiefs CB Javier Arenas spent time at Alabama with Buccaneers S Mark Barron (2008-09).
- Chiefs CB Brandon Flowers played two years (2006-07) at Virginia Tech with Buccaneers S Cody Grimm.
- Buccaneers Defensive Line Coach Randy Melvin coached at Temple in 2009 while Chiefs TE Steve Maneri was on the roster.
- Tampa Bay Special Assistant to the Head Coach Butch Davis was the head coach at North Carolina while Chiefs RB Shaun Draughn was there (2007-10). Buccaneers K Connor Barth played with Draughn in 2007.
- Tampa Bay WR Arrelious Benn spent time at Illinois with Kansas City G Jon Asamoah (2007-09) and OL Jeff Allen (2008-09).
- Chiefs Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Brent Salazar and Buccaneers LB Quincy Black were both at New Mexico in 2003-04.
- Chiefs OL Donald Stephenson played two seasons at Oklahoma with Buccaneers DT Gerald McCoy (2008-09).
- Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles spent his three seasons at Texas with Buccaneers DT Roy Miller (2005-07).
- Chiefs Special Teams Coach Tom McMahon spent the 2003-05 seasons at Utah State with Buccaneers T Donald Penn.
- Kansas City Offensive Quality Control Coach Jim Bob Cooter (2002-08), Special Teams Quality Control Coach Derius Swinton (2007-08) and S Eric Berry (2007-09) spent time at Tennessee with Tampa Bay TE Luke Stocker (2007-10).
- Chiefs DE Tyson Jackson spent the 2008 season at LSU with Buccaneers DE Kendrick Adams.
- Kansas City WR Jon Baldwin spent time at Pittsburgh with Tampa Bay TE Nate Byham (2008-09).
- Chiefs LB Justin Houston spent his entire collegiate career at Georgia with Buccaneers DT Corvey Irvin (2007-10).
- Chiefs T Eric Winston spent time at Miami with Buccaneers WR Roscoe Parrish (2002-04).
- Buccaneers General Manager Mark Dominik graduated from Kansas.
- Tampa Bay Assistant Offensive Line Coach Steve Loney spent time with Missouri Western (1975-76) and coached two seasons at Leavenworth (Kan.) High School (1977-78).
- Buccaneers Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Joe Vaughn played collegiately at Kansas before being hired as a Graduate Assistant in 2006. Helater returned to KU to be the Head Strength and Conditioning coach (2007-11).
- Chiefs CB Javier Arenas is from Tampa, Fla., and attended Robinson High School.
- Tampa Bay QB Josh Freeman grew up in Kansas City, Mo., and attended Grandview High School. He played collegiately at Kansas State, where his 8,078 yards passing are a school record.
- Tampa Bay CB Aqib Talib played three seasons at Kansas, where he ranked second in school history with 13 career interceptions and ﬁrst in school history with 322 interception return yards.
- Chiefs LB Brandon Siler played collegiately at Florida (2004-06).
- Tampa Bay College Scout Seth Turner is a native of Lansing, Kan., and played linebacker and defensive end at Baker (Kan.) University (1993-96).
- Tampa Bay College Scout Mike Yowarsky was a Graduate Assistant (1984-85) and Defensive Assistant (1986-88) at Kansas.
- Buccaneers Director of Sports Medicine and performance Todd Toriscelli was the Head Athletic Trainer at Kansas State for three seasons (1990-92).
- Chiefs WR Dexter McCluster and Regional Scout Dom Green are a natives of Largo, Fla., and TE Jake O'Connell is from Naples, Fla.