I'm trying out a new idea for postgame stories where I just jot down various notes throughout the game and post it after the game. I did that last night in just the first half of the Kansas City Chiefs vs. Green Bay Packers game and came away with 15 things to remember about the game. (I did just the first half thinking the starters wouldn't play into the second...but I was wrong.)
It didn't turn out as interesting as I thought it would but oh well. Hopefully it'll get better instead of just a play-by-play. Here are 15 things to remember from last night's game:
- Chiefs captains: CB Brandon Flowers, LB Jovan Belcher, P Dustin Colquitt, RB Jamaal Charles, WR Dwayne Bowe and LT Brandon Albert.
- Rodney Hudson started at left guard in place of Ryan Lilja, who did not play.
- On the first play of the game, QB Matt Cassel went deep to WR Dwayne Bowe but the ball was overthrown. On the second play, Cassel quickly went to WR/RB Dexter McCluster which gained two yards. On the third play, they got some positive yards with a third down conversion via a pass to RB Jamaal Charles across the middle.
- The Packers first offensive play was a 23-year run to the right side of the Chiefs defensive line. DE Tyson Jackson didn't look great on that first series as he was pushed back on the following play, too.
- CB Javier Arenas returned the following kickoff back to the 45-yard line. He was awesome in the preseason last year at returning kicks. Let's hope it translates to the regular season.
- CB Charles Woodson was out and Cassel recognized that with a nice pass to Bowe for the first down taking advantage of the mismatch. Bowe was lined up on the right side and ran a quick slant, hauling the ball in right before he knew he was going to get hit. Nice concentration from Bowe, which seems to be a theme this year.
- Awesome, awesome grab by McCluster on a third down. McCluster lined up on the left side and ran a simple out route with Cassel slightly overthrowing him but McCluster dove to pull it in.
- Charles fumbled the ball on a pitch to the right. He was trying to push for another yard in the pile and got the ball stripped.
- Rodgers played just one series with backup QB Matt Flynn coming in on the Packers second series.
- Chiefs coach Todd Haley had a successful challenge. Packers WR Tori Gurley caught the ball over Flowers down the right sideline. As he gained possession of the ball, his second foot stepped out of bounds. It was pretty obvious. Trent Green thought it wouldn't be overturned but it was.
- Pretty entertaining end of the first quarter. First, the Packers had a botched snap that resulted in a safety for the Chiefs. Second, P Dustin Colquitt hit WR Terrance Copper on a fake punt. It was 3rd and 9 and they got 11.
- Another great catch by McCluster that went for a touchdown. He leaped in the air to make the grab falling down over the goal line. So...McCluster is a running back? That's two great catches in the game.
- The trickery continues with an onside kick. Unfortunately, the Packers recovered.
- I love seeing corner blitzes. CB Brandon Carr came from Flynn's blindside and drilled him popping the ball loose with the Chiefs recovering. Arenas was a great blitzer coming out of college as well.
- On the theme of awesome catches, Bowe has a terrific touchdown catch on a fade route. He got both his feet in, just barely dragging his second foot in bounds. The play was reviewed and...it's a touchdown!