The Kansas City Chiefs will be making the trip to Michigan later this week to play the Detroit Lions in the second week of the 2011 schedule.
There are lots of connections between the Chiefs and Lions including two that will play an important role on Sunday -- Jon McGraw and Gunther Cunningham.
Courtesy of the Chiefs game release, here are all of your connections this week:
- Kansas City S Jon McGraw (00-05) and WR Keary Colbert (08) played with the Lions.
- Chiefs defensive quality control coach Otis Smith played for Detroit (03).
- KC assistant head coach Maurice Carthon coached with Detroit (01-02).
- Chiefs offensive coordinator/OL coach Bill Muir was the OL coach with Detroit (85-88).
- Chiefs QBs coach Jim Zorn held the same position for the Lions (98-00).
- Chiefs player personnel assistant Mickey Berce interned with Detroit in 2010.
More connections after the jump.
- Detroit assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham was the Chiefs head coach (99-00) and defensive coordinator (95-98, 04-08).
- Detroit VP of football operations Cedric Saunders spent two seasons (99-00) as an area scout for Kansas City.
- Detroit regional scout Silas McKinnie played RB for Kansas City (72).
- Chiefs assistant OL coach Pat Perles is a native of Detroit and played LB (83-86) at Michigan State. He coached (00-02) at Michigan State.
- Chiefs WR Steve Breaston played at Michigan (03-06). Kansas City regional scout Jim Nagy graduated from Michigan.
- Chiefs assistant athletic trainer David Glover is a native of Muskegon, Mich., and attended Central Michigan.
- KC assistant athletic trainer Nick Potter interned with the Lions (05-08).
- Lions QB Shaun Hill is a native of Parsons, Kan.