The 2011 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft continues with KillaCity107 choosing for the Chicago Bears at No. 29...
Da Bears came roaring out of hibernation to start the season with three straight wins, but they were quickly tranquilized by the Giants aggressive defense. That first defeat left Jay Cutler battered and with a concussion that caused him to miss the next game. The team stumbled through the following games and entered their bye week with a 4-3 record. However, they picked themselves back up and finished the season strong with a deep playoff run. Their exit from the Conference championship game against the Packers again had Cutler hurting from a knee injury.
Final season rankings look like this:
- Total Offense (30th)
- Passing Yards (28th)
- Rushing Yards (22nd)
- Total Points (21st)
- Total Defense (9th)
- Passing Yards Allowed (20th)
- Rushing Yards Allowed (2nd)
- Points Against (4th)
DE: This position is set with Peppers and Idonije on either side. Both registered 8 sacks a piece on the season. The plummeting J.J. Watt makes this very tempting in a BPA scenario but in reality it should never have been an option.
DT: There is a need here with Tommy Harris proving to be ineffective and subsequently being cut. Anthony Adams who manned the other spot is currently without a contract for next year. There is some depth on the roster yet it would serve the Bears to add more. If Wilkerson or Luiget were available here they would be hard to pass up, but with both of them long gone the only option would be to reach for Paea/Austin/Nevis.
LBs: The heart of this defense is still manning the middle in Brian Urlacher. Even coming off of a lost season he led the team in tackles with 125 and continues to play at a very high level. He is flanked by another one of the best LB Lance Briggs who was second on the team in tackles. Both are ageing but do not pose an immediate threat. The final LB spot could use some competition, but again it is not an immediate need.
DB: Looking at the defensive yardage stats it appears the secondary could use some help, but with no top tier safety and the top three CBs taken there isn't much value left here.
QBs: Say what you will about Cutler's mental breakdowns, but the man can ball. Furthermore, the organization has far too much invested in him to even think about going in a different direction. Backup QB is a different story...I think at this point Todd Collins is really just a cardboard cutout (seriously it seems like he has been holding a clipboard for 50 years). Hanie may prove to be a decent backup but the position should still be addressed. This does not seem to be the spot to do it however. The team would be better served to sign a veteran backup in FA.
RBs: Matt Forte came on strong and proved again to be a versatile runningback. Chester Taylor's 2.4 ypc reminds me of someone...although that stat is not very good spot #29 is not the place to address this either.
WRs: Johnny Knox had a solid season putting up 51 catches and just shy of 1000 yards but the rest of the crew were average at best. This group could use a big body which would bring the option of drafting Jonathan Baldwin in the mix with Leonard Hankerson and Torrey Smith; however, I think the pick would be better served in other places.
OL: The one constant to the Bears struggles this year was Cutler being pummeled like a piñata by a bunch of candy hungry 10 year olds. The offense gave up 56 sacks which was the most in the entire NFL. With Olin Kreutz nearing the end of his stellar career virtually the whole line needs an overhaul.
So with the 29th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select:
Derek Sherrod, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi State
The fact that most of the season's failures can be summed up as Jay Cutler getting hurt makes this pick simple. This is almost a dream scenario having the last of the top tier OTs falling to them at #29. Yes picking a BPA in Watt would be nice, and yes getting a receiver would be nice too but another piece on the O-line is essential. Sherrod excels at pass blocking which is exactly what the Bears need. With nearly 50 games of college experience Sherrod has gained outstanding play recognition and can come in and start from day one.
Full Schedule And Results:
1. Carolina Panthers (ChiefsFan90s) - Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
2. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers
3. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Auburn QB Cam Newton
4. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Georgia WR A.J. Green
5. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Texas A&M OLB Von Miller
6. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Auburn DT Nick Fairley
7. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - LSU CB Patrick Peterson
8. Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara
9. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Alabama DL Marcell Dareus
10. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Alabama WR Julio Jones
11. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Missouri DE Aldon Smith
12. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - USC OT Tyron Smith
13. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Boston College OT Anthony Castanzo
14. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Illinois DT Corey Liuget
15. Miami Dolphins (YerganFlurgan) - Alabama RB Mark Ingram
16. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Cal DE Cameron Jordan
17. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Temple DE Muhammad Wilkerson
18. San Diego Chargers (Chiefscafan58) - North Carolina DE Robert Quinn
19. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Florida C Mike Pouncey
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan
21. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Baylor NT Phil Taylor
22. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi
23. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Colorado OT Nate Solder
24. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston
25. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - TCU QB Andy Dalton
26. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Colorado CB Jimmy Smith
27. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward
28. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - UCLA LB Akeem Ayers
29. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod
30. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Tuesday April 5th
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Tuesday April 5th
32. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 6th
33. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Wednesday April 6th
34. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Wednesday April 6th
35. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Thursday April 7th
36. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Thursday April 7th
37. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Thursday April 7th
38. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Friday April 8th
39.Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Friday April 8th
40. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Friday April 8th
41. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Monday April 11th
42. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Monday April 11th
43. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - Monday April 11th
44. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Tuesday April 12th
45. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - Tuesday April 12th
46. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Tuesday April 12th
47. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Wednesday April 13th
48. Oakland Raiders (mushin) - Wednesday April 13th
49. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Wednesday April 13th
50. San Diego Chargers (Chiefsfaninca58) - Thursday April 14th
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Thursday April 14th
52. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Thursday April 14th
53. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Friday April 15th
54. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Friday April 15th
55. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Friday April 15th
56. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Monday April 18th
57. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - Monday April 18th
58. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 18th
59. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Tuesday April 19th
60. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Tuesday April 19th
61. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 19th
62. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Wednesday April 20th
63. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Wednesday April 20th
64. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 20th