The 2011 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft continues with stagdsp choosing for the Atlanta Falcons at No. 27...
The Atlanta Falcons ended the 2010 regular season at 13-3, and were one of the more consistent teams in the league. It was their third straight winning season, and they earned the #1 seed in the NFC. However, Green Bay put a swift end to their playoff hopes with a convincing 48-21 blowout. Green Bay didn't punt once during this game, and "Matty Ice" cracked, throwing 2 INTs and taking 5 sacks. Some are questioning whether he'll ever win a postseason game. The loss certainly should not be laid at the feet of a promising young QB, however, as Ryan had a fantastic 2010 campaign (62% completions, 28TDs vs 9INTs).
They have a solid roster, top to bottom. The Falcons, like the Chiefs, on offense rely on a solid running game and one go-to receiver. On the other side of the ball, the Falcons boast a top 5 run defense, but are 22nd vs the pass. They have some good young players, including 2 Mizzou Alums William Moore and Sean Weatherspoon, that should only get better. John Abraham just racked up 13 sacks in his 12th season, but he could use some help at Defensive End.
In fact, the #1 team need, from what I can gather from fans and "experts" is DE. Atlanta would have loved to see Justin Houston still on the board at this point, which would have given them an immediate boost in the pass rush department. However, I think they get a more well-rounded player with a more consistent motor with my pick.
With the 27th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select:
Cameron Heyward, Defensive End, THE Ohio State University
Height: 6'5 | Weight: 294lbs| Ohio State
Arm Length: 34 1/4 in. Hand Size: 10 1/8 in.
Via Mocking the Draft:
Versatility: The most versatile defensive lineman in the 2011 NFL Draft class, Heyward has the athleticism and strength to play either defensive end or defensive tackle in multiple fronts. His versatility will make him a very attractive player to teams who value a true "three-down" lineman.
Final Word: A starter since early in his freshman season, Heyward will enter the NFL as one of the most accomplished and experienced defensive linemen in college football. His football pedigree, athleticism and strength make him a high-priority player for NFL front offices. Heyward projects best as a left-end in a 4-3 scheme or as a defensive end in a 3-4 front. Cover 2 defenses will give Heyward a look as an under tackle who shoots the "B" gap and creates pressure on the quarterback.
At this point in his career, Heyward reminds us of Richard Seymour during his college career at Georgia.
Heyward is big versatile defensive end that can play in a 4-3 or a 3-4 at the next level. He is a powerful athlete at the point of attack that can eat up blocks in the running game and uses heavy active hands to shed quickly. He possesses a less than ideal burst, but is a relentless pass rusher that gets more sacks than he should. His greatest asset is his versatility, as he can control blockers to be effective in a two-gap scheme, but also could have an impact as a traditional defensive end in a 4-3. Heyward will likely not last past the first round.
Heyward is very strong with a great frame. Quick off the ball, delivers a violent punch to jar offensive lineman and shows good hand technique to slip blocks. Plays with sound leverage and anchors effectively in the running game. Versatile athlete that can play multiple positions along the defensive line. Four-year starter and very durable.
Does not have the burst to consistently get after the quarterback or make plays from the backside. Plays with a narrow base at times and can be pushed out of the play. Takes too long to recognize screens and draws and gets caught upfield too often. A bit inconsistent with his play.
Full Schedule And Results:
1. Carolina Panthers (ChiefsFan90s) - Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
2. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers
3. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Auburn QB Cam Newton
4. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Georgia WR A.J. Green
5. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Texas A&M OLB Von Miller
6. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Auburn DT Nick Fairley
7. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - LSU CB Patrick Peterson
8. Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara
9. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Alabama DL Marcell Dareus
10. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Alabama WR Julio Jones
11. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Missouri DE Aldon Smith
12. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - USC OT Tyron Smith
13. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Boston College OT Anthony Castanzo
14. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Illinois DT Corey Liuget
15. Miami Dolphins (YerganFlurgan) - Alabama RB Mark Ingram
16. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Cal DE Cameron Jordan
17. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Temple DE Muhammad Wilkerson
18. San Diego Chargers (Chiefscafan58) - North Carolina DE Robert Quinn
19. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Florida C Mike Pouncey
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan
21. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Baylor NT Phil Taylor
22. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi
23. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Colorado OT Nate Solder
24. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston
25. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - TCU QB Andy Dalton
26. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Colorado CB Jimmy Smith
27. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward
28. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Monday April 4th
29. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 5th
30. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Tuesday April 5th
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Tuesday April 5th
32. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 6th
33. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Wednesday April 6th
34. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Wednesday April 6th
35. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Thursday April 7th
36. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Thursday April 7th
37. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Thursday April 7th
38. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Friday April 8th
39.Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Friday April 8th
40. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Friday April 8th
41. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Monday April 11th
42. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Monday April 11th
43. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - Monday April 11th
44. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Tuesday April 12th
45. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - Tuesday April 12th
46. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Tuesday April 12th
47. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Wednesday April 13th
48. Oakland Raiders (mushin) - Wednesday April 13th
49. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Wednesday April 13th
50. San Diego Chargers (Chiefsfaninca58) - Thursday April 14th
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Thursday April 14th
52. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Thursday April 14th
53. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Friday April 15th
54. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Friday April 15th
55. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Friday April 15th
56. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Monday April 18th
57. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - Monday April 18th
58. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 18th
59. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Tuesday April 19th
60. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Tuesday April 19th
61. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 19th
62. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Wednesday April 20th
63. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Wednesday April 20th
64. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 20th