The 2011 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft continues with Ben S choosing for the Baltimore Ravens at No. 26...
Lucky for me, I have the privilege of being able to pick for those pesky Baltimore Ravens. In order to spite them after they beat our beloved Chiefs in the first round of the playoffs, it is quite tempting to draft myself to be the quarterback of the future. A below average arm, poor footwork, no field awareness, and a stranger to the gym, I would provide just enough to do what Joe Flacco wasn't capable of - let the Chiefs win. Unfortunately, that would violate everything I've stood for the past three years as the acting GM for the Ravens, so I will not allow myself to stoop to the level of a Raiders fan.
Currently, the Ravens are on the rise. They were finally able to hit on a quarterback that possessed skills other than simply arm strength, and it's starting to appear as though their current head coach won't become an analyst when he leaves his current job. With these two positives alone, it seems as though the Ravens already have enough to make a serious run at the Superbowl, right? The answer is a little more complicated than that...
On one hand, the Ravens certainly have the talent and coaching to take home a Lombardi in the next coming years. Their defense still continues to be a perennial force, and their offence is slowly coming into its own as well. Despite all of the criticism that Joe Flacco faced this year, I am sure he would be the first choice of any Ravens fan if Steve "Air" McNair or Kyle "Power" Boller were to be put on the table. In addition to a star-studded defense and a promising young quarterback, the Ravens also have a mega-producing running back in Ray Rice, as well as a tough-as-nails receiver in Anquan Boldin, together alone giving the Ravens the all-star duo needed in todays NFL (don't believe me? Ask Peyton and Marvin/Reggie, Tom and Bill, Sean and Drew, Big Ben and Jimmy H). Surely the Ravens are a possible contender for the (un)coming season?
Yes they are, but don't call me Shirley. The problems that the Ravens currently face at the moment is sustainability. Should they fail to win a world championship in the next three years, they could possibly be looking at rebuilding. Although they always seem to field a top 5 defense, Ray isn't getting any younger (despite showing otherwise this past season...). Also, Ed Reed probably only has a max of 2 seasons left in him before he follows in the same footsteps as his fellow artisan, Bob Sanders. With the loss of only two players, the Ravens defense will immediately go from elite, to average. That's where our boy Ozzie (or in this case, me) comes in.
Along with strong defenses, the Ravens have been known as notoriously good drafters. Like Ben on cake, the Ravens have stuck to "best player available", and in the meantime have become the poster boys for that exact strategy. If there is a man able to sustain the team that is currently the Ravens, it is most certainly the man that built them.
With that being said, I will now announce the first pick of the Baltimore Ravens.
Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
With elite size and speed, it is difficult for me to not enjoy picking this player. Think Haloti Ngata, minus a hundred pounds. Although lacking at times in defensive discipline, Smith has the kind of swagger that will fit in nicely with boys in purple. Despite having a strong sense of "old-spice swagger", Jimbo is also known as an extremely hard working and tough player - team leader if you will - that commands respect in the locker room. With a player like this on the board in an area of need for the Ravens, it is certain that the Ravens would make this pick, and rightfully so.
Ayers gave me a bit of a dilemma at this pick, however after reviewing with the boys at Baltimore Beatdown, it has been brought to my attention that there is no way Ozzie and Steve would pick a 4-3 linebacker, due to their system.
With that being said, I look forward to seeing Jimmy Smith develop for the Ravens, much the same as my original pick, Ryan Clady.
Full Schedule And Results:
1. Carolina Panthers (ChiefsFan90s) - Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
2. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers
3. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Auburn QB Cam Newton
4. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Georgia WR A.J. Green
5. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Texas A&M OLB Von Miller
6. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Auburn DT Nick Fairley
7. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - LSU CB Patrick Peterson
8. Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara
9. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Alabama DL Marcell Dareus
10. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Alabama WR Julio Jones
11. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Missouri DE Aldon Smith
12. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - USC OT Tyron Smith
13. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Boston College OT Anthony Castanzo
14. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Illinois DT Corey Liuget
15. Miami Dolphins (YerganFlurgan) - Alabama RB Mark Ingram
16. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Cal DE Cameron Jordan
17. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Temple DE Muhammad Wilkerson
18. San Diego Chargers (Chiefscafan58) - North Carolina DE Robert Quinn
19. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Florida C Mike Pouncey
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan
21. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Baylor NT Phil Taylor
22. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi
23. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Colorado OT Nate Solder
24. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston
25. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - TCU QB Andy Dalton
26. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Colorado CB Jimmy Smith
27. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Monday April 4th
28. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Monday April 4th
29. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 5th
30. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Tuesday April 5th
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Tuesday April 5th
32. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 6th
33. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Wednesday April 6th
34. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Wednesday April 6th
35. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Thursday April 7th
36. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Thursday April 7th
37. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Thursday April 7th
38. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Friday April 8th
39.Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Friday April 8th
40. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Friday April 8th
41. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Monday April 11th
42. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Monday April 11th
43. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - Monday April 11th
44. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Tuesday April 12th
45. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - Tuesday April 12th
46. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Tuesday April 12th
47. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Wednesday April 13th
48. Oakland Raiders (mushin) - Wednesday April 13th
49. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Wednesday April 13th
50. San Diego Chargers (Chiefsfaninca58) - Thursday April 14th
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Thursday April 14th
52. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Thursday April 14th
53. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Friday April 15th
54. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Friday April 15th
55. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Friday April 15th
56. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Monday April 18th
57. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - Monday April 18th
58. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 18th
59. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Tuesday April 19th
60. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Tuesday April 19th
61. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 19th
62. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Wednesday April 20th
63. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Wednesday April 20th
64. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 20th