SB Nation is covering all of the 2011 NFL Draft results.
Wow. Just wow. The Kansas City Chiefs have drafted Pittsburgh WR Jonathan Baldwin with the No. 26 pick. Not the No. 27 pick, which the Chiefs received from the Cleveland Browns. But the No. 26 pick - the Baltimore Ravens passed on the No. 26 pick, allowing the Chiefs to slide in and select Baldwin.
NFL Draft Scout rates the 6'4", 228 pound Baldwin as the 4th best wide receiver in this draft. Mocking the Draft said of Baldwin:
It's easy to fall in love with Baldwin as a prospect. He has excellent size and good speed once he really gets moving. His hands are good and he catches the ball routinely away from his frame. However, there are a lot of questions out there about Baldwins effort. He's had some lapses of inconsistency throughout his career, which are concerning.
Still, it can be a little hard to judge Baldwin. He's never had a great quarterback throwing him the ball. As a junior, the Pittsburgh quarterback play was especially poor. Baldwin still managed to finish the season with 53 receptions for 822 yards and five touchdowns.
In May of 2009, Baldwin was charged with assault, harassment and disorderly conduct. The charges were later dropped.
More quick hits on Jonathan Baldwin until we get more up:
- First wide receiver drafted in the first round by the Chiefs since Dwayne Bowe in 2007;
- In the Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft, Baldwin went with the 62nd pick;
- Baldwin wasn't even included in SB Nation's latest first round NFL Mock Draft;
- He was not included in our Chiefs draft interests table;
- Only 9% of AP readers thought the Chiefs would go wide receiver with their first pick;
- Check out Jonathan Baldwin highlights here.
Chiefs fans - immediate thoughts on Jonathan Baldwin? With wide receiver being a rather glaring need, I'm fine with this pick, especially since we got an extra third rounder out of it by trading back with Cleveland.