The 2011 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft continues with nmchief choosing for the Washington Redskins at No. 41...
When participating in a mock like this, the question arises... do I draft the player who I think is best for the team I represent, or the player that I think the team would select?
This year, both answers are further complicated by the lack of free agency and trades due to the lack of a CBA. As of right now, these draft picks are the only way to fill a teams' holes. While in all likelihood, there will eventually be a free agent signing period and trades between teams, we are unable to count on these avenues when selecting players. For this reason, one glaring hole rises above the many needs of the Redskins.
With the 41st pick in the 2011 AP mock draft, the Washington Redskins select:
Ryan Mallett, QB from Arkansas
From CBSSports' analysis:
Accuracy: Flashes very good accuracy on short and intermediate throws. Consistently hits the receiver in stride on crossing routes, slants and post patterns. Shows good touch and ball placement for the fade route. Throws with a flat trajectory on deep routes, showing only moderate accuracy on deep throws overall. Can make the "wow" throw and there isn't an NFL route he can't hit. Accuracy nosedives, however, when he is forced to move his feet, as his long legs prevent him from re-setting quickly and he throws with just his arm. When his feet aren't set, Mallett whips the ball, leading to passes sailing high and others diving low, making his throws difficult for receivers to predict or track and set up for yardage after the catch.
Arm Strength: Mallett's greatest trait. Possesses as strong an arm as there is in the country. Can fit the ball through closing windows, making him capable of completing throws most cannot. Drives the ball on the deep out and can zip the back shoulder throw against tight coverage. Has a tendency to get overly confident with his arm and will attempt to make ill-advised throws into coverage. Has learned to take some speed off when needed.
Setup/Release: Takes most of his snaps out of the shotgun, though he has shown the ability to drop back from center. Gains depth due to the length of his gait rather than foot quickness. Though his long arm makes for an awkward-looking windup, Mallett possesses a fluid, over-the-top release that generates momentum, resulting in the ball exploding out of his hand. Steps into his throws when he has room in the pocket, but loses accuracy when forced to rely solely on his arm.
Reading Defenses: Excellent height to see over the top of his linemen and read defenses. Good field vision, showing the ability to check down from his first and second options to drop passes off to outlet receivers. Flashes the ability to look off the safety, but most do this more consistently. Generally reads the blitz coming and can make defenses pay for their aggression by hitting the hot route, but doesn't possess the athleticism to escape the pocket when he is surprised.
On the Move: Can slide laterally to avoid the rush. Improved significantly as a junior in stepping up in the pocket to buy time. Willing to take a big hit to complete the pass. Has heavy feet and long legs, however, causing him to take longer than most to set his feet and throw accurately when forced to vacate the pocket. Threw critical interceptions late against Alabama and Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl when this occurred. Willing to tuck the ball and run when he's given a free lane and has exhausted his throwing options, but is no danger to consistently gain yardage as a scrambler. Doesn't get low enough or show more than average leg drive for the QB sneak.
Intangibles: Some have concerns over his maturity level. Has a brash personality that has caused some to question whether he possesses the leadership to handle an NFL huddle. Was never voted a team captain with the Razorbacks despite the fact that quarterbacks are often pushed by coaching staffs as such. Very confident in his own talent and early in his career wasn't known for his dedication to the film room. Arrested for public intoxication on March 1, 2009, in Fayetteville.
Mallett is a big guy with a cannon for an arm. While there are plenty of questions, the Skins cannot risk putting a later pick behind center if they can't trade for or sign a better signal caller this year. Shanahan is widely accepted as an offensive guru, and hopefully he can turn Mallett into the Redskins' franchise QB. And if not, he can always blame Dan "rich-n-dumb" Snyder and follow Joe Gibbs to NASCAR!
Full Schedule And Results:
1. Carolina Panthers (ChiefsFan90s) - Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
2. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers
3. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Auburn QB Cam Newton
4. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Georgia WR A.J. Green
5. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Texas A&M OLB Von Miller
6. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Auburn DT Nick Fairley
7. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - LSU CB Patrick Peterson
8. Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara
9. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Alabama DL Marcell Dareus
10. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Alabama WR Julio Jones
11. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Missouri DE Aldon Smith
12. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - USC OT Tyron Smith
13. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Boston College OT Anthony Castanzo
14. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Illinois DT Corey Liuget
15. Miami Dolphins (YerganFlurgan) - Alabama RB Mark Ingram
16. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Cal DE Cameron Jordan
17. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Temple DE Muhammad Wilkerson
18. San Diego Chargers (Chiefscafan58) - North Carolina DE Robert Quinn
19. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Florida C Mike Pouncey
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan
21. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Baylor NT Phil Taylor
22. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi
23. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Colorado OT Nate Solder
24. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston
25. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - TCU QB Andy Dalton
26. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Colorado CB Jimmy Smith
27. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward
28. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - UCLA LB Akeem Ayers
29. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod
30. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Baylor G Danny Watkins
32. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn
33. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Miami G Orlando Franklin
34. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Arizona LB Brooks Reed
35. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - FSU QB Christian Ponder
36. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Oregon State DT Stephen Paea
37. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Maryland WR Torrey Smith
38. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Washington QB Jake Locker
39.Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick
40. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Texas CB Aaron Williams
41. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Arkansas QB Ryan Mallet
42. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Monday April 11th
43. Minnesota Vikings (ravenhawk) - Monday April 11th
44. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Tuesday April 12th
45. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - Tuesday April 12th
46. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Tuesday April 12th
47. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Wednesday April 13th
48. Oakland Raiders (mushin) - Wednesday April 13th
49. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Wednesday April 13th
50. San Diego Chargers (Chiefsfaninca58) - Thursday April 14th
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Thursday April 14th
52. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Thursday April 14th
53. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Friday April 15th
54. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Friday April 15th
55. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Friday April 15th
56. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Monday April 18th
57. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - Monday April 18th
58. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 18th
59. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Tuesday April 19th
60. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Tuesday April 19th
61. San Diego Chargers (Chiefsfaninca58) - Tuesday April 19th
62. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Wednesday April 20th
63. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Wednesday April 20th
64. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 20th