The 2011 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft continues with Simon from KC choosing for the Seattle Seahawks at No. 23...
The Seattle Seahawks had one of the stranger seasons last year, and it's not just because they paved the way as the first losing team to make the playoffs. There are just a lot of ins and outs involved with the Seahawks. They have holes all over the team, but they knocked the defending world champion Saints out of the tournament. They have an aging quarterback, who still came on strong in that playoff win against The Saints. Lastly going into week 17, they were one win away from clinching their division and one loss away from a top ten pick in April's draft.
I bet they are wishing they had that top ten pick now. I see some talent up there the Seahawks could definitely use. A little star power could give this team a shot in the arm, but as said before this team has holes everywhere.
This includes the offensive line, where new line coach Tom "Pow right in the kisser!" Cable will no doubt be looking to get some big uglies that are a little bigger and a little uglier than what's in place now. Last year's first pick Russell Okung, and former first rounder Max Unger are both still developing and showing progress. Veteran tackle Stacy Andrews was brought in from Philly for a 7th round draft pick and new coach Pete Carroll still has faith he is the answer at right tackle. That leaves interior positions still needing upgrades.... But that's not a sexy pick so moving on!
I'll tell you what a sexy pick is and what the Seahawks NEED and that's speed. Wide receiver, running back, something! Come on man! They did see the resurrection of Mike Williams this year (The slower Mike Williams) but he lacks the big play threat they need. Stokely is a great possession receiver but also slow and the denture cream, hearing aid batteries, and AARP annual fees are weighing the team down. Their only hope for some speed at the wide receiver position is the young Golden Tate, but he hasn't exactly wowed anyone yet, at least not on the field. As far as the running back situation there is virtually no pig play threat there either. I know you're thinking "What about beast mode in the playoffs?" First off, Lynch still isn't getting an invite to Jamal Charles' track team. Second off, that was one run. And third, I don't know if I have ever seen a playoff team tackle that poorly on one play ever. Forsett is the faster back. Faster doesn't mean fast. He won't be giving opposing coaches nightmares about 80 yard runs. I won't even get into Leon Washington. He's still a good return man because he's smart (Does anyone remember the kickoff return a few years back where he stuck his foot out of bounds and then grabbed the ball to give the opposing team a flag? Genius) He still hasn't shown that he will ever return to his previous explosiveness after the broken leg. So yes, speed is a big need for this team. However with no real value at this point going for speed is out.
With all of that in mind, for the 2011 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft, The Seattle Seahawks select...
Andy Dalton, Quarterback, TCU
Who? Did Al Davis kidnap Pete Carroll and take over the Seahawks draft? No he didn't. Simon from KC did, and I have been reading into all the hype maybe even a little too much lately. (By the way Pete's fine, I'm feeding him crackers and he's watching Point Break. He actually smiled about 6 hours ago.)
Look bottom line is this, I fully expect the lockout ruling to go the way of the players, and honestly when the draft really comes, I'm kind of expecting The Eagles to be making this pick and the Seahawks to be unwrapping their shiny new Kolb. It hasn't happened yet though, and still might not. If it comes to this I don't see how the Seahawks get out of the first without a new Quarterback.
Matt Hasselbeck has already decided that he wants to try and parlay his four TD performance in the wild card round into one final big payday. Besides him and stokely have already watched every episode of Murder She Wrote ever made. There is nothing left for him to do in Seattle, and Carrol has already indicated the battle to keep Hasselbeck is lost.
Now it just comes down to who replaces him. I told myself given the lockout and the possibility of losing training camp, I would not select a QB. Well, The Seahawks NEED a QB. People are still bringing up too many question about Ryan Mallet, and without a chance to babysit him during training camp, I don't think he's going to be feeling the first round love. Now you're probably wondering about Jake Locker. I mean he was projected to go number one last year right? Well then he should have declared last year. Now people have been able to really study him, and study his disappointing senior year. He is a great talent no doubt. He can move well and throw well while moving. This could help Seattle with their west coast offense, especially given the weak spots in their offensive line, but when you look at him in the pocket the accuracy isn't there. His mechanics seem to have slipped slightly this year, but they still appear sharp. So if it's not mechanics, then it looks like to me he is just going to be one of those quarterbacks that kind of struggles with his accuracy when he is standing in the pocket.
So why Dalton? Well Like I said before. I fully believe it will actually be Kolb, but if not, I see Dalton as the closest thing to Kolb in the draft. Other than that, the kid seems tough. A lot of people don't think he is big enough at 6'2" to be a franchise guy. I think that will cause him to play AND work with a chip on his shoulder. I see a lot of Drew Brees in Dalton.
Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but isn't that what this time of the year if for? J
Full Schedule And Results:
1. Carolina Panthers (ChiefsFan90s) - Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
2. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers
3. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Auburn QB Cam Newton
4. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Georgia WR A.J. Green
5. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Texas A&M OLB Von Miller
6. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Auburn DT Nick Fairley
7. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - LSU CB Patrick Peterson
8. Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara
9. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Alabama DL Marcell Dareus
10. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Alabama WR Julio Jones
11. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Missouri DE Aldon Smith
12. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - USC OT Tyron Smith
13. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Boston College OT Anthony Castanzo
14. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Illinois DT Corey Liuget
15. Miami Dolphins (YerganFlurgan) - Alabama RB Mark Ingram
16. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Cal DE Cameron Jordan
17. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Temple DE Muhammad Wilkerson
18. San Diego Chargers (Chiefscafan58) - North Carolina DE Robert Quinn
19. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Florida C Mike Pouncey
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan
21. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Baylor NT Phil Taylor
22. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi
23. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Colorado OT Nate Solder
24. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston
25. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - TCU QB Andy Dalton
26. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 4th
27. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Monday April 4th
28. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Monday April 4th
29. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 5th
30. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Tuesday April 5th
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Tuesday April 5th
32. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 6th
33. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Wednesday April 6th
34. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Wednesday April 6th
35. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Thursday April 7th
36. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Thursday April 7th
37. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Thursday April 7th
38. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Friday April 8th
39.Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Friday April 8th
40. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Friday April 8th
41. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Monday April 11th
42. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Monday April 11th
43. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - Monday April 11th
44. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Tuesday April 12th
45. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - Tuesday April 12th
46. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Tuesday April 12th
47. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Wednesday April 13th
48. Oakland Raiders (mushin) - Wednesday April 13th
49. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Wednesday April 13th
50. San Diego Chargers (Chiefsfaninca58) - Thursday April 14th
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Thursday April 14th
52. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Thursday April 14th
53. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Friday April 15th
54. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Friday April 15th
55. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Friday April 15th
56. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Monday April 18th
57. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - Monday April 18th
58. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 18th
59. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Tuesday April 19th
60. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Tuesday April 19th
61. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 19th
62. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Wednesday April 20th
63. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Wednesday April 20th
64. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 20th