Good morning Chiefs fans! As NJ Chiefs Fan already mentioned, it is the all-important Raider week. Late December, bitter rivals, both teams needing a win to survive. It does not get better than this (I reserve the right to say this again next week).
As we already know, these two teams met in Week 7 and the Chiefs decimated the depleted Raiders 28-0 in the Black Hole. That result will have no bearing on this matchup though and hopefully our new look Chiefs can make it two in a row at home this week. With a huge rivalry game on tap, what does Vegas think of this matchup? Will the Raiders get love for having been more consistent since that last matchup? Will the Chiefs see a bit of respect after knocking off the undefeated defending champs? Let's find out those answers and a bit more in our Week 16 installment of The Opening Line.
This matchup of hated rivals has already seen some movement in the line in just a short time. Last Tuesday, a "future" line on the game could be had at both offshore sites and in Vegas. On December 13th, the Las Vegas Hilton opened Oakland as 3 point favorites. Online sites like betonline.com had the Raiders at -2. But after the events of this weekend, Vegas opened this one Sunday night at Oakland -1. Within an hour, the early bettors moved this one to the other side and it is still there as the current line for our purposes is Kansas City -1 and the total is 42. Obviously, the win this weekend impressed more than a few people, and the early money was large enough on the Chiefs to move it two points in an hour. That is news I enjoy hearing, but the fact remains that the Chiefs are going to need another great effort to pull out the win this weekend.
We have a LOT of recent trends on tap this week. Let's take a look:
- Raiders are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Raiders are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games in Week 16.
- Raiders are 9-2 ATS in their last 11 vs. AFC West.
- Chiefs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games in Week 16.
- Chiefs are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games in December.
- Chiefs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 vs. AFC.
- Chiefs are 3-12-1 ATS in their last 16 games as a home favorite.
- Chiefs are 1-7-1 ATS in their last 9 games as a favorite of 0.5-3.0.
- Chiefs are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games as a favorite.
- Chiefs are 0-5-1 ATS in their last 6 games as a home favorite of 0.5-3.0.
- Over is 5-0 in Raiders last 5 games overall.
- Over is 4-0 in Raiders last 4 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Over is 4-0 in Raiders last 4 games on grass.
- Over is 4-0 in Raiders last 4 games as an underdog.
- Over is 6-0 in Raiders last 6 games as an underdog of 0.5-3.0.
- Over is 7-1 in Raiders last 8 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Over is 5-1 in Raiders last 6 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Under is 4-0 in Chiefs last 4 Saturday games.
- Under is 6-0 in Chiefs last 6 home games.
- Under is 7-0 in Chiefs last 7 vs. AFC West.
- Under is 9-1 in Chiefs last 10 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Under is 8-1 in Chiefs last 9 games overall.
- Under is 14-2 in Chiefs last 16 games on grass.
- Under is 6-1 in Chiefs last 7 vs. AFC.
- Over is 4-1 in Chiefs last 5 games as a favorite of 0.5-3.0.
- Under is 4-1 in Chiefs last 5 games following a ATS win.
Yes, I did say a lot of trends this week. At this time of year though (while there are many), with two teams like this, you may have to throw some trends out the window because it is going to be an all-out war. I cannot wait for this one and I hope those who are lucky enough to be there will bring home a win! This has been our Week 16 edition of The Opening Line and enjoy the week and happy holidays to all!