The Kansas City Chiefs have a bunch of connections with the Green Bay Packers led by head coach Mike McCarthy, who went to Baker University and worked with the Chiefs in the 1990s. Also included is LB Erik Walden (remember him?) and TE Tom Crabtree.
Here are all your Chiefs-Packers connections courtesy of the Chiefs game release:
- Packers head coach Mike McCarthy served as an offensive quality control coach (93-94) and QBs coach (95-98) with the Chiefs. He also attended Baker (Kan.) University and is a member of that school's HOF.
- Chiefs DBs coach Emmitt Thomas served as the defensive coordinator of the Packers (99).
- Chiefs LS Thomas Gafford originally entered the NFL with the Packers.
- Kansas City area scout Jim Nagy interned in Green Bay's personal department (96).
- Green Bay VP of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball worked with Kansas City (89-98) and at Missouri (82-88).
- Packers VP of sales and marketing Tim Connolly spent time with the Chiefs (89-95).
- Green Bay QBs coach Tom Clements played QB for the Chiefs (80) and served as the club's QBs coach (00).
- Packers assistant director of player personnel Tim Terry attended training camp as a member of the Chiefs (99).
- Green Bay college scout Brian Gutekunst was a scouting assistant with Kansas City (98).
- Packers TE Tom Crabtree entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Chiefs in 2009. He was a teammate and roommate of Chiefs TE Jake O'Connell at Miami (Oh.).
- Green Bay LB Erik Walden played with Kansas City in 2008.
- Green Bay WR Jordy Nelson is a native of Manhattan, Kan., and played collegiately at Kansas State.
- Chiefs area scout Ryan Kessenich is a native of Madison, Wis.
- Kansas City TE Tony Moeaki and QB Ricky Stanzi were teammates of Green Bay OT Bryan Bulaga at Iowa.