The Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers have a lot more connections than I realized. There are a number of important players and coaches who come from Pittsburgh, and there are also a number of Chiefs folks who had family members who played or coached for the Steelers.
It's an old school connection that goes way back. Here are the Chiefs and Steelers connections, courtesy of the Chiefs game release.
- Kansas City hea coach Todd Haley attended Upper St. Clair HS in Pittsburgh. His father, Dick Haley, served s the Steelers Director of Player Personnel (71-90) and played DB (61-64) for the franchise.
- Chiefs assistant offensive line coach Pat Perles attended Upper St. Clair HS. His father, George Perles, coached for the Steelers (72-81).
- Kansas City P Dustin Colquitt's father, Craig Colquitt, played seven seasons with the Steelers (78-84) winning two Super Bowl rings.
- Kansas City QB Tyler Palko spent time with the Steelers (2009). He played collegiately at Pittsburgh (02-06) and prepped at West Allegheny HS in Imperial, Pa. More connections after the jump...
- Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians coached RBs for KC (89-92).
- Chiefs president Mark Donovan and offensive coordinator/OL coach Bill Muir were born in Pittsburgh.
- Chiefs WR Jonathan Baldwin played collegiately at Pittsburgh and prepped at Aliquippa HS in Aliquippa, Pa.
- Kansas City Chiefs WR Steve Breaston prepped at Woodland Hills HS in North Braddock, Pa.
- Kansas City LB Tamba Hali played collegiately at Penn State (02-05).
- Steelers DE Ziggy Hood played at Missouri (05-08).
- Chiefs offensive quality control coach Nick Sirianni coached at Indiana (Pa.) from 06-08.
- Kansas City defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel's brother, Carl Crennel, played one season for the Steelers (70).
- Chiefs QBs coach Jim Zorn was the position coach for Steelers QB Charlie Batch with the Detroit Lions (98-00).
- Kansas City RB Thomas Jones and Pittsburgh WR Jerricho Cotchery were teammates with the NY Jets (07-09).