A handful of players and plenty of coaches make up this weeks Kansas City Chiefs/Cleveland Browns connections post. Pioli, Haley, Crennel all have strong connections to Ohio or the Browns' coaching staff.
Plus, we've got a Hickman Mills high school mention (Flashback to 6th grade basketball practice there!) and what seems to be our weekly mention of a community college in the state of Kansas. All information is courtesy of this week's press release from the mothership.
- Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli served as a scouting assistant ('92) and pro personnel assistant ('93-95) with Cleveland.
- Kansas City Head Coach Todd Haley and Cleveland Head Coach Eric Mangini coached together with the N.Y. Jets ('97-98).
- Kansas City defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel served as Cleveland's head coach (2005-08) and defensive coordinator/DL coach (2000).
- Chiefs assistant head coach Maurice Carthon (2005-06), Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken ('99-09), area scout Jay Muraco ('92-95) and equipment manger Mike Davidson ('84-88) all worked for the Browns. Davidson is a native of Cleveland, OH and MacCracken hails from Hudson, OH.
- Chiefs DL coach Anthony Pleasant was a DE with Cleveland ('90-95).
- Kansas City CB Travis Daniels (2008) and DT Shaun Smith (2007-08) both played for Cleveland.
- Other Chiefs players with Ohio ties include: LB Mike Vravel (Akron/OhioState), WR Chris Chambers (Bedford), DT Ron Edwards (Columbus) and CB Donald Washington (Ohio State).
- Kansas City assistant coach Nick Sirianni played and coached at Mount Union (2000-05).
- Cleveland LB Scott Fujita played with Kansas City (2002-04).
- Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan coached at Hutchinson (KS) CC ('96) and LBs coach Matt Eberflus coached at Missouri (2001-08). TEs coach Steve Haen ('85-86) and OL coach George Warhop ('84-86) both coached at Kansas.
- Browns asst. strength and conditioning coach Rick Lyle prepped at Hickman Hills (MO) HS and played at Missouri ('90-93).
- Cleveland video director Chad Bogard interned with Kansas City ('96-97).
- Pro Football Hall of Fame QB and Chiefs Radio Network analyst Len Dawson is a native of Alliance, OH and played for Cleveland ('60-61).