I have to say I'm glad that there aren't too many big connections this weekend for the Kansas City Chiefs vs. Denver Broncos. Scott Pioli's tentacles are of course everywhere; the Colquitts will have a family reunion in Denver this weekend (Joel will have more on this later); and we have your usual Kansas community college mention.
But that's about it. Nothing too deep this week.
Remember special teams coach Mike Priefer? I had forgotten about him until I checked out the connections. Here they all are, courtesy of the mothership:
- Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels each earned three Super Bowl rings with New England.
- Chiefs assistant GM Joel Collier is the son of Joe Collier, who served 20 seasons as an assistant coach with Denver ('69-88). The younger Collier played collegiately at Northern Colorado.
- Asst. strength & conditioning coach Brent Salazar (2005) worked with Denver. Salazar is a Denver native.
- KC C Casey Wiegmann (2008-09) played in Denver.
- Denver special teams coordinator Mike Priefer coached three seasons with Kansas City (2006-08).
- Kansas City P Dustin Colquitt is the brother of Broncos P Britton Colquitt.
- Denver coaching assistant Jay Rodgers spent time at Dodge City CC (2003) and Missouri State (2004). He also played at Missouri State.
- Broncos DT Jamal Williams played at Kemper Military School in Boonville, MO.
- Denver WR Brandon Lloyd is a native of Blue Springs, MO.
- Chiefs RB Tim Castille is the son of former Broncos DB Jeremiah Castille ('87-88).
Holler if we missed anyone.