Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen have conflicting reports over who the Chiefs next head coach will be.
Mortensen says a deal with former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan is near (UPDATE: ESPN has changed the language of their report to the Chiefs "targeting" Shanahan).
Schefter says there's been no contact between Shanahan and the Chiefs. He also says the Chiefs are keeping Bill Cowher at the top of their list despite reports he will not be returning to the coaching field in 2009.
This is a big story that one of the two top names in NFL journalism will get wrong.
Tony Gonzalez on ESPN's SportsCenter:
Reaction to Herm's firing:
- "I hoped he would have gotten another shot. As a team, there's a lot of games we should have and could have won this year."
- "One more shot with this young team we have we could have proved we could be a lot better."
- "I understand if you don’t win football games that’s the way it goes."
On whether all the blame should be placed on Herm:
- "Everyone is to blame here. But certainly not all of it is on Herm.
- "One of the best things about Herm, that I like about him, is his ability to relate to players."
- " A lot of the young players didn’t know how to be professionals. And when somebody treats you like a man, like Herm does, some guys take advantage of that."
- "You cannot blame everything on Herm Edwards. Not even close."
On rumors that Mike Shanahan will be the next head coach:
- "(Laughs)...Obviously, his resume speaks for itself."
- "He’s been breaking my heart for the last 12 years I've been in the NFL."
- "If that was to happen, I would have no problem with that."
- The Chiefs would be "bringing in a proven winner and I think that would be great for the Chiefs."
On how this will affect the possibility of him being traded:
- "I don’t know right now. I’m going to sit back and wait and relax. But at the same time, a guy like Pioli, that’s great. A proven winner like that. Coming from New England, you gotta believe he’s going to get this organization going in the right direction. The only concern I have with that is how long that is going to take."
- "The word I hate most is rebuilding. I don't want to go through that again."
- "It's all about the window of opportunity."
- "If we can get this done in the next 2 year then yes I want to stay here."
- "As of right now I definitely want to stay a Chief. I understand they’re going in the right direction. Obviously, Clark hunt is making some moves, some changes to help us win a Super Bowl."
- "I don’t want to win 10, 11 games. I don’t care. I want to win a playoff game.
If Mike Shanahan can do that for us, then yeah I wanna stay."
- "I’m definitely on board."
Click here for previous updates to this story.