And with the #12 pick in the 2008 Arrowhead Pride Community Mock Draft, the Denver Broncos select:
Vanderbilt OT Chris Williams
styg50 with the pick:
Do I have to? Fine. After deperately trying to trade down in the first, even going so far as to offer a five night luxury stay in Shanahan's new Mega-Mansion I am reduced to this. Alas with no takers I am forced to bite the bullet and make an unsound draft move, reaching approximately 8 spots for Chris Williams.
What I don't like about this pick is that you want your first round OT to start from day one. And I REALLY like Erik Pears, the guy he would need to beat out. I would have loved a DT but the #12 is a no-man's land at that position, so taking the most reliable position on the board is the only way to go.
The upside of the pick is that even being paid as a #12 there is no way we will have overpaid for a starting RT, and you just can't ignore William's skillset. He has the muscular, athletic build that Denver looks for in a lineman, and he has developed a reputation for "finesse" blocking, definitely an asset. He needs to get stronger before he can become the LT of the future, but he has the mean streak and agility that you look for. The rest will come. Add in that he has experience at Guard and Denver is getting an ideal lineman, a pick they should never regret as the years roll on.
Did I mention he played with Cutler at Vandy? That can only help...
1. Miami Dolphins - QB Matt Ryan
2. St. Louis Rams - OT Jake Long
3. Atlanta Falcons - DT Glenn Dorsey
4. Oakland Raiders - DE Chris Long
5. Kansas City Chiefs - DT Sedrick Ellis
6. New York Jets - RB Darren McFadden
7. New England Patriots - DL Vernon Gholston
8. Baltimore Ravens - OT Ryan Clady
9. Cincinnati Bengals - OLB Keith Rivers
10. New Orleans Saints - CB Mike Jenkins
11. Buffalo Bills - CB Leodis McKelvin
12. Denver Broncos - OT Chris Williams
On the clock: Carolina Panthers (Friday AM - stag)
Up tomorrow: stag, kcchief1990 and Chiefs n Chopper