So like most of us, I have been Jonesing hardcore for football season to start. My mind has been reeling every day with thoughts of Chiefs football past, present, and future. I won't focus much on the past, or the present. The future is the focus here.
I will start with the Defense and the reasons for the moves we have made as well as how things will play out during the season. Point #1 is the elephant in the room
- Brandon Flowers is gone. He was our best corner for the past 5 or 6 years.
This is truer than true. I loved B Flo as most Chiefs fans did, but if you really think about it... this is the best move for the team and front office. Here is why:
- The Chiefs defense is going in another direction. The idea isn't to cover the oppositions receivers for a long period of time.
- The goal is to jam them at the line of scrimmage and give the pass rush enough time to either disrupt the opposing QB or force a quick throw.
- This is very very aggressive and intelligent.
- Brandon Flowers is a small CB, he can't jam the bigger receivers in today's NFL. Bigger corners can though. This is one of the reasons the Chiefs let him go.
- Look for Sean Smith, Marcus Cooper, and Ron Parker to consistently jam receivers on the edge and delay the routes for most WRs they face. This will give Hali, Poe, Bailey, Houston, Ford, Walker, Catapano and company ample time to generate a sack or force a premature throw from opposing QBs.
- I can't highlight this enough. I think Houston has been recognized as an irreplaceable member on our team. I am still curious though because nobody on AP thus far has mentioned anything about possible contracts for Houston.
- I would like for someone to offer this on AP, please...
- In the late 1980s Buddy Ryan introduced the 4-6 defense. I think that Bob Sutton has some inclination to do something similar, but with a twist.
- Imagine the standard 3-4 defense. But instead of only Houston and Hali pass rushing, add Ford into the mix. So now you have 5 LBs on the Field, 3 defensive lineman, and 3 corners. Very very risky. How do you pull it off?
- Here's how... Pull Mays or Johnson, and let Berry/Abdullah cover the middle as a mini LB. Put Houston and Hali on the edges of the 3-4. Put Ford on the outside edge of the line of scrimmage's weak side and let all hell break loose. -- This defense relies so heavily on great man to man press coverage.
- I'm yet to think of a name for this defense, but if you readers can please tell me. I think this defense could be very successful, especially with our personnell.
- Actually now that Demps and Lewis are gone, our safeties are better.
- If you really feel this way I suggest you read Sanders Commings' scout profile here: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/sanders-commings?id=2539229
- While Commings does have injury issues, he has prolific ball skills and I think this is perfect for the Chiefs current needs.
- Abdullah is better than both Demps and Lewis. Commings was supposed to replace Lewis. Berry has had an expanded role playing safety during this off season.
- I can't legitimately listen to concerns about our safety position getting worse now that Lewis and Demps are gone.