The story of CB Phillip Gaines feels like a tale of two halves. The KC Chiefs third round pick got into some trouble in the first half of his college career at Rice, including failed marijuana tests (should've gone to Colorado). He also had injuries. But he's seemed to turn things around the last two seasons, according to GM John Dorsey and Gaines himself. Get to know Gaines, the Chiefs third round pick, below.
Rice CB Phillip Gaines
1 .He was a freshman starter at Rice before his first season was cut short due to injury. His first career start was at Oklahoma State.
2. In 2012, he was the only junior selected as a captain.
3. Set a school-record with 38 pass breakups in his career.
4. Gaines is the seventh Rice player drafted by the Chiefs and the first since 1975.
5. Two-time, first-team, All-C-USA voted on by coaches.
6. He is an economics major. He needs three more classes to graduate.
7. He blocked five kicks as a high school senior.
8. Ran a leg on his high school's 4x100m relay. Finished third at state as a junior.
9. Gaines was the 9th cornerback selected in the draft and the 15th defensive back.
10. Quote: "My family is from Philadelphia, so they've said they're huge Andy Reid fans."