Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard
The Bears finished with a 8-8 record in 2013, and lost the NFC North division and a berth into the NFC playoffs when the Green Bay Packers pulled off a 33-28 victory in the last game of the regular season (Week 17).
Offensively, the Bears were not at fault for the .500 season but it was their defense that let them down throughout the season. The Bears offensively took a giant step forward, finishing the year with the second-best scoring offense in the league, as well as breaking team records for total yards (6,109), passing yards (4,450), passing touchdowns (32), first downs (344), and passer rating (96.9). Defensively was another story as the Bears took a giant step backwards in 2013, finishing 30th in overall defense. The defense also set team records for yards allowed (6,313), rushing yards allowed (2,583) and points (478).
The Bears are facing the reality they have an aging defense that needs to be rebuilt. Namely along the defensive line and in the secondary.
I will be up front in saying that had University of Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald still been on the board with the 14th pick, he would've been the selection. With that said, the Bears did add defensive linemen Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston, Nate Collins, Willie Young, Israel Idonije, and Jeremiah Ratliff in free agency to account for their defensive front issues, but their defensive secondary remains an issue.
This is where someone like Dennard comes into the picture for the Bears. With the loss of Major Wright and Zack Bowman in free agency, and the aging Charles Tillman coming off an injury-shortened season and with Tim Jennings being no spring chicken himself, the Bears would be wise to add a shutdown cornerback or a safety with the 14th pick. I went with a corner in the end because Dennard is the top rated CB in the NFL draft and both Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor were already drafted from the top of the safety pool.
Dennard would give the Bears the athleticism and ability they need, and possibly allow Tillman to move to safety, killing two birds with one stone. Dennard isn't a burner, but he's a good technician and will be a consistent player at the next level for years to come. He has been most closely compared to Darrelle Revis of the New England Patriots and with his #NoFlyZone moniker he fits the bill for what the Monsters of the Midway need.
- Houston Texans (kuchiefs13) - South Carolina DE / LB Jadeveon Clowney
- St. Louis Rams (chiefsman7588) - Auburn OT Greg Robinson
- Jacksonville Jaguars (Steve The Hedge) - Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater
- Cleveland Browns (NigerianNightmare) - Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel
- Oakland Raiders (seein'red) - Clemson WR Sammy Watkins
- Atlanta Falcons (chiefstruelove) - Texas A&M WR Mike Evans
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (kswanson) - North Carolina TE Eric Ebron
- Minnesota Vikings (kcsno56) - Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack
- Buffalo Bills (Aesthist) - Central Florida QB Blake Bortles
- Detroit Lions (BuckTheFroncos) - Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert
- Tennessee Titans (mrchiefs101) - Alabama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
- New York Giants (Akr_baby) - Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald
- St. Louis Rams (chiefsman7588) - Louisville S Calvin Pryor
- Chicago Bears (Ben Mitchum) - Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard
- Pittsburgh Steelers (SacramentoDrew)
- Dallas Cowboys (LocoGonzo)
- Baltimore Ravens (Ben S)
- New York Jets (Kdub64)
- Miami Dolphins (SayHeyWerd)
- Arizona Cardinals (Koopaztown)
- Green Bay Packers (kaiser1118)
- Philadelphia Eagles (Matt in KC)
- Kansas City Chiefs (R2J)
- Cincinnati Bengals (Robert Mayes)
- San Diego Chargers (TheDudeAbides007)
- Cleveland Browns (NigerianNightmare)
- New Orleans Saints (BeeRadd)
- Carolina Panthers (citadelchief)
- New England Patriots (death2norm)
- San Francisco 49ers (Smitty713)
- Denver Broncos (craig in calgary)
- Seattle Seahawks (misterbrain)