A busy offseason of free agent signings and in house re-signings have really helped to fill some major holes, and make my job as the freshly hired General Manager of the New York Giants a little bit easier. They had to find a way to protect their two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback. Eli is at his best when he can work off the play-action. The Giants were not able to run the ball very well at all last season, and lost some key targets for Manning to toss the ball to as well. They went out and signed multiple players in free agency.
- First and foremost OT/OG Geoff Schwartz. We all obviously know of the Schwartz, who gives Eli Manning stability at the guard position or as a tackle if he is desperately needed to fill that roll due to an injury. Center
- J.D. Walton, After a couple ankle surgeries in 2012 and 2013 the Broncos waived Walton. Walton has concerns but if he can have a healthy season he will be a huge upgrade to protect Eli’s face. Walton is a technician. Hard working, & Smart instinctive player.
- OG/T John Jerry is versatile & can play guard or tackle on either strong or weak side. Jerry is very athletic. He pulls, and blocks well at the second level. Good size and great arm length allows him to stay clean as a pass or run blocker. He as well as Schwartz can provide very good swing depth across the board for the Giants. John Terry does come with some serious questions though, as he was cited as one of the culprits in the bullying scandal of Jonathan Martin.
- The Giants also very much improved there defensive backfield with signing of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Big, athletic and smart. When he puts in the work DRC is one of the better corners in the league, capable of being put on an island and shutting down his side of the field.
- Walter Thurmond III is a smooth corner, has good speed and size. Has shown flashes of being a very good corner while in Seattle. WT3 has his off the field concerns. Suspended four games for violating the NFL Drug Policy in 2013 and missing much of 2011 / 2012 recovering from a broken fibula.
- Zack Bowman is another signing at cornerback with good size. A very good tackler, consistent and a solid special teamer, the former Bear brings good depth stability to the position.
Other notable signings include:
- QB Josh Freeman (Minnesota)
- QB Curtis Painter (Re-signed)
- FB Henry Hynoski (Re-signed)
- RB Rashad Jennings (Raiders)
- RB Peyton Hillis (Re-signed)
- TE Kellen Davis (Seattle)
- TE Daniel Fells (FA)
- WR Travis Harvey (FA)
- WR Mario Manningham (49ers)
- WR Preston Parker (FA)
- OT Charles Brown (Saints)
- OT Troy Kropog (FA)
- G/C Dallas Reynolds (FA)
- DE Robert Ayers (Broncos)
- DT Mike Patterson (Re-signed)
- LB Spencer Paysinger (Re-signed)
- LB Jameel McClain (FA)
- LB Jon Beason (Re-signed)
- LB Mark Herzlich (Re-signed)
- LB Spencer Adkins (FA)
- CB Trumaine McBride (Re-signed)
- S Quintin Demps (Chiefs)
- S Stevie Brown (Re-signed)
- K Josh Brown (Re-signed)
- K Brandon McManus
- P Jordan Gay (FA)
- R Trindon Holliday
With the 12th Pick of the 2014 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft, The New York Giants Select…..
Aaron Donald - DT/DE - Pittsburgh
The Giants need to get back to dominating offensive lines. There is still potential on the defensive line with players like, Damontre Moore, Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathias Kiwanuka, Johnathan Hankins and Cullen Jenkins. With very little depth, seemingly injury prone Jason Pierre-Paul, an aged Kiwanuka and Jenkins, the Giants could use an every down player like Aaron Donald to help set a tone and bring back the nastiness of the Big Blue. Aaron Donald offers superior disruption skills at the point of attack, quick off the snap. He is explosive, with nasty hands and plays with great leverage. He can play inside by Hankins at the three tech or slid outside opposite of JPP at defensive end.
Donald was the most impressive player at the Senior Bowl. He destroyed the offensive linemen in the pass-rushing one-on-ones and carried that over into the team scrimmage. Donald dominated the consensus-top guard in the draft class, Baylor's Cyril Richardson, as he burned him with speed rushes. Donald also beat Richardson with powerful bull rushes despite Richardson having a 50-pound advantage. Donald put on a show with his pass-rushing ability as he was excellent in every practice in Mobile.
Comes off the snap like he's shot out of a cannon. His first step routinely beats opponents for immediate pressures. Has an effective arm-over swim move, though he doesn't use this often enough. His stature gives Donald the leverage advantage which he uses well to get under the pads of opponents and drive them into the backfield on bull-rushes.
First thing that jumps out on tape is elite get-off speed. Shows above average snap anticipation and explodes upfield on snap of ball. Makes it tough for quarterbacks to climb the pocket. Disruptive interior pass rusher that shoots gaps and gets hands up. Excellent quickness when crossing lineman's face to shoot inside gap, and also shows very good rip-to-spin move when working back across on double move. Good job locating QB while rushing. Doesn't have to win with quickness either. If OL tries to short set him, he will win with explosive first step. If OL retreats with deep set, he convert speed to power and flashes ability to walk OL right back into the QB. Was nearly unblockable in Senior Bowl one-on-one pass rush drills. Elite college sack production (29.5 career sacks) and combine workout results match up.
- Houston Texans (kuchiefs13) - South Carolina DE / LB Jadeveon Clowney
- St. Louis Rams (chiefsman7588) - Auburn OT Greg Robinson
- Jacksonville Jaguars (Steve The Hedge) - Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater
- Cleveland Browns (NigerianNightmare) - Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel
- Oakland Raiders (seein'red) - Clemson WR Sammy Watkins
- Atlanta Falcons (chiefstruelove) - Texas A&M WR Mike Evans
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (kswanson) - North Carolina TE Eric Ebron
- Minnesota Vikings (kcsno56) - Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack
- Buffalo Bills (Aesthist) - Central Florida QB Blake Bortles
- Detroit Lions (BuckTheFroncos) - Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert
- Tennessee Titans (mrchiefs101) - Alabama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
- New York Giants (Akr_baby) - Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald
- St. Louis Rams (chiefsman7588)
- Chicago Bears (Ben Mitchum)
- Pittsburgh Steelers (SacramentoDrew)
- Dallas Cowboys (LocoGonzo)
- Baltimore Ravens (Ben S)
- New York Jets (Kdub64)
- Miami Dolphins (SayHeyWerd)
- Arizona Cardinals (Koopaztown)
- Green Bay Packers (kaiser1118)
- Philadelphia Eagles (Matt in KC)
- Kansas City Chiefs (R2J)
- Cincinnati Bengals (Robert Mayes)
- San Diego Chargers (TheDudeAbides007)
- Cleveland Browns (NigerianNightmare)
- New Orleans Saints (BeeRadd)
- Carolina Panthers (citadelchief)
- New England Patriots (death2norm)
- San Francisco 49ers (Smitty713)
- Denver Broncos (craig in calgary)
- Seattle Seahawks (misterbrain)