The numbers are in and we can confirm that the Kansas City Chiefs No. 1 need entering the free agency period and the 2014 NFL Draft is safety. We polled our readers last week asking what the Chiefs top needs are. Surprisingly (to me), safety won in a landslide. I say surprisingly because I thought receiver would be higher.
Here are the top vote-getters on our Chiefs needs poll:
Safety (63 percent)
Receiver (17 percent)
Defensive end (10 percent)
Cornerback (7 percent)
Offensive tackle (1 percent)
Inside linebacker (1 percent)
Outside linebacker (0 percent)
Offensive guard (0 percent)
The top two, in my mind, are no-brainers. It's clearly safety and receiver. I'm a little surprised safety won by so much considering everyone loves offense. The Chiefs have three safeties who are free agents (Kendrick Lewis, Quintin Demps, Husain Abdullah) so just from a sheer numbers standpoint this position is a big need. They need bodies.
At receiver, the Chiefs could be losing Dexter McCluster. Say what you want about McCluster (and we've said plenty) but the Chiefs will need to replace his production if he leaves.
The Chiefs will have the option of addressing the safety position in free agency and / or the NFL Draft.
- Andy Reid, GM John Dorsey will speak at 2014 NFL Combine
- Projecting Kansas City Chiefs 2014 wins
- In-house options for Kansas City Chiefs: DB Sanders Commings
- The Chiefs defense and 25+ yard plays: Part 2
- KC Chiefs franchise tag now available; Will they use it on anyone?
- Arrowheadlines: Kansas City Chiefs News 2/18