The 2014 Pro Bowl will be ... it will be something. The new thing this year is that the NFL eliminated the traditional AFC vs. NFC game. Instead teams were picked with player captains like a fantasy football draft. (There are also new clock rules in the game.) There is Team Jerry Sanders and Team Jerry Rice.
Kansas City Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles is a player captain for Team Sanders but there are nine other Pro Bowl Chiefs who were drafted on Wednesday evening.
Brandon Flowers was the No. 14 overall pick because he's a corner who can play inside and outside, Jerry Rice said on the broadcast. Video of Flowers' selection can be seen here.
Alex Smith was the last pick, making him Mr. Irrelevant or as NFL Network called it...
"It's new for me," Smith said, "sitting in that green room for so long. I'm excited to be here. I'm looking forward to being out there in the fourth quarter when the game matters." Here's video of Alex's interview.
RB Jamaal Charles (captain)
OT Branden Albert
NT Dontari Poe
OLB Tamba Hali
S Eric Berry
QB Alex Smith
OLB Justin Houston
ILB Derrick Johnson
CB Brandon Flowers
KR Dexter McCluster
- Poll: How many of you were alive the last time the Chiefs won the Super Bowl?
- Chiefs special teams end the 2013 season ranked third
- Chiefs coaching staff remains (mostly) intact
- Chiefs 2014 schedule is tougher, but Chiefs will be better, too
- Which players are the Chiefs scouting at the Senior Bowl?
- Are the 2013 Chiefs like the 2010 Chiefs?
- Chiefs 2015 Super Bowl odds are in the top 10
- Chiefs roster and team needs heading into free agency and the 2014 NFL Draft (Defense edition)
- Arrowheadlines: Chiefs news 1/22